Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel was in the perfect location and our Presidential Suite was awesome! The hotel is modern and the hotel staff were great. Please note that the indoor pool is rather small and only goes to 5ft. I'm not sure if there is an outdoor pool.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! I'm happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us. I apologize for our pool being on the smaller side, and we actually do not have an outdoor pool. But we have the ocean! If you and your family choose to vacation in Virginia Beach another time, please let us know. We would love to host you again.

Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Milford, DE
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Front desk staff was very friendly, could not give me my free Marriott Rewards upgrade because the hotel was full but gave me coupons for free breakfast for 2 days. All rooms are oceanfront and our room was a nice size and very clean. My granddaughter enjoyed the indoor pool. Unfortunately our free breakfast in the Bistro was horrible! The biscuits with gravy was so salty I could not eat it. The scrambled eggs were so dry I could not eat it. I Finally settled for a bagel. They charge $10.00 per person and it was worse than the complimentary breakfast you get at Residence Inn or Springhill Suites.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for review and for letting us know where we can improve. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I am glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable, and that your granddaughter had a blast in our pool! I am sorry that The Bistro's buffet breakfast was less than desirable; your feedback has been passed on and we are taking steps to improve our food selection's quality. Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you at the oceanfront again soon!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I just got back from this hotel. We were really happy. All the rooms are ocean front, the prices are reasonable and it is right on the board walk and the beach. This hotel as excellent service as well. I enjoyed it's proximity to bars and restaurants as well as the beautiful stretch of beach. The Bistro has limited hours but there are plenty of other places to eat within a short walking distance. The pool was warm and the hot tub great, Both overlook the boardwalk and beach. I recommend this hotel unconditionally. Enjoy

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front so it doesn't really matter. We were on the 9th floor and heard no noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank stevesin4u
Thank you for your wonderful review and kind words, we are thrilled to hear that you had an excellent stay! Our location is key, seeing as we are right in the middle of everything. I enjoy the view from our hotel as well, it really is amazing. We hope that you and your family will join us again, please contact us the next time you're planning a vacation!

Northwestern PA
Reviewed 26 April 2013

The front desk staff upon arrival was awesome. I reserved a oceanfront and was upgraded to the corner suite since I am a Gold Rewards member. Room was more than adequate with a separate bedroom and living room with a small kitchette all overlooking the ocean. Room was clean but did have a strong smell when we first arrived I am assuming it was some cleaning material they used. I opened the sliding glass door on the balcony and it soon dissapated.

I really have only two issues with the hotel. First being the bed, it was not a good bed. Very soft and lacked any real support. The second issue was the quality of linens and towels. I am not sure would they are being washed in but very scratchy and harsh.

We didn't eat at the Bistro but the front desk did give us a great recommendation for dinner which we took and had an enjoyable meal. For our breakfast we ate at a local pancake house that I had seen on the Food Channel as being the best in VB.

All in all it was an OK stay and location is fantastic as is front desk staff. I would have given this hotel a higher rating if the bed has not been so horrible. It really needs to be replaced.

1 Thank Lovinlife1245
Thank for taking the time out of your day to let us know how your stay was. I am very happy to hear that our staff was enjoyable and friendly! I apologize for our mattress not giving you enough support, we will definitely be looking into your request. There are so many wonderful restaurants in the area and I am pleased to hear that you had a few great meals! If you plan to travel to Virginia Beach again please give us a call.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Landed in VB and really didn't know where we were staying. Asked if we could check out the room before booking. Maria at the front desk was very accomodating and allowed us to check out the room. We chose the 7th floor oceanview. Very nice. Everything was perfect. I would say the beds were a bit springy but okay. The view spectacular. The staff excellent, Maria, Randy, Rocky and Samantha. Plus the guy at the buffet breakfast all very nice.

Room Tip: Ask if there may be rooms with newer beds.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Samantha S, Fronjt Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
I am thrilled to hear that you had a nice getaway with us! Our staff works hard every day to ensure a fun and relaxing vacation for our guests. Thank you for your kinds remarks and we hope to have you again in the future!

Henrico, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2013

After one terrible night at the Econo Lodge on the Ocean (#2/118 ???) our weekend was salvaged by the Courtyard by Marriott, 2501 Atlantic Avenue (23451). We tried to save the weekend by asking if they could accommodate us for one night (Saturday). The front desk employees Raquel and Greg were very welcoming. We asked to see a room and after checking it out, booked it for one night (Saturday). On Sunday morning, we decided to stay longer (one more day) and Rande handled the request. Great view, clean room, comfortable bed and a good Sunday brunch (hotel restaurant). We enjoyed the indoor pool too. Thanks to the good weather and booking a better hotel we have a good memory of the VA BCH Oceanfront.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us such a wonderful review! We are very happy to hear that our hotel and staff were able to leave you with great memories of your stay in Virginia Beach. Please let us know when you plan to visit again!

Samantha
Maryland
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

The primary area of opportunity here is the consistency amongst the staff. Upon check in it became evident there were some issues here. The desk person was placingplacing his lunch order on the phone while we stood there holding our bags waiting to be helped while he read off his order in front of us. Finally as the line to check in grew he decided to help us. We stayed in the Presidential Suite which was a good size and we had requested pillows and sheets for the pullout bed. They gave us one pillow and no sheets. Not even a fitted one. The only blanket provided had a 12" stain on it. When I called down to Mike the front desk person who was the same one who checked us in told me there were no sheets because they had all been given to the "high schoolers" who had requested extra sheets so it meant we could have even one flat sheet for the nasty mattress. Eventually houskeeping found a fitted sheet which helped a little. Not to nitpick but another frustration came when we pushed the "roomservice" button and it continued to ring and ring. After no answer I called the desk and they informed me to my surprise there is no roomservice here which I found to be quite misleading since both phones have the option button and rings to nowhere.
All in all the experience was poor and there were such varying levels of service that its clear management is unaware of the poor performance of some if the team.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank swetfam4
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your experience at our hotel. I’m disappointed to hear that we did not provide you with the high level of customer service we typically deliver. I have reviewed your comments with our front office management team, as we want to make sure every guest who stays with us has an enjoyable experience and their experience with our front desk team (our leaders in customer service) are entirely positive.

And also, thank you for pointing out the “Room Service” button on your guest room telephone – our guest rooms and restaurant were renovated last year, and we are proud to offer the Courtyard by Marriott Bistro in addition to our breakfast buffet. The Bistro features “Bistro-To-Go” instead of room service, and we neglected to notice that our phones still said “Room Service” on them. After reading your review and reviewing our guest room phones, we’re now in the process of having the faceplates on the phones reprinted and switched out so it properly reflects our offerings. Thanks for noticing – it’s helpful feedback from guests such as you that help make our property better!