“Wonderful stay that could have been a disaster” 5 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“Wonderful stay that could have been a disaster”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We arrived at the hotel to check in only to find out that due to a booking error (subsequently traced to a third party website error) that we were nor in fact booked into this hotel, but another Courtyard by Marriott that was no where near the beach. Luckily, we were met at the desk by Rande G and his team, who helped us contact the third party and subsequently secured us a room at this hotel. He also spent a lot of time going through the Courtyard's late TV board that shows local attractions, directions and the like - a very useful feature.
All rooms have a full width balcony with an unobstructed sea view and are spacious and airy.
Other facilities at the hotel looked good.
F&B facilities were also excellent - the buffet breakfast was very good, with an excellent selection of food of good quality and excellent service from the staff too.
Check out was excellent too - our experience here was enough to ensure that we looked to Courtyard by Marriott as our first choice when looking for accommodation - and thanks again to Rande and his team - your recommendation for the Courtyard by Marriott in Dupont Circle, Washington DC was much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much of a nice stay you truly had! I am ecstatic to learn that Rande was able to assist you with the booking error and secure you a room with us. Our breakfast buffet has an excellent variety of choices, I am glad that you were able to enjoy the food as well as our friendly bistro attendants. Every room at Courtyard South is oceanfront, allowing for a spectacular view from all floors. If you are ever in Virginia Beach again, please give us a call at (757)491-6222 so that we may reserve a room for you!

Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in the Presidential Suite for 3 nights in Mid November and were impressed. The room in nothing special, just a larger room, and seemed a little old. The staff was very friendly and polite. The breakfast was also great and the server, who worked very hard, was great. The housekeeping staff also did a great job. The only minor negatives were the rooms seemed a little old and where the carpet met the floor tiles in the room there was a small nail sticking up. The staff came right out to fix it though. I would defiantly recommend this hotel and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a better view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle2007
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at Courtyard South! I am pleased to learn that you and your wife were able to enjoy our Presidential Suite, our breakfast selection, and hard-working associates. I apologize for the minor issue with the carpeting, but I am glad that our engineering team was quick and efficient with resolving it. Thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel the weekend of November 15th thru 17th, 2013 and had the perfect stay! I must say that I was a little skeptical at first before my arrival and I thought most "ocean front" hotels have a somewhat of a "mildew" type of smell ---however, this particular hotel did NOT have that smell. It was a PLEASURE to stay here. Customer Service was THE BEST!!!!! I own a timeshare and the customer service wasn't this great. We were here for a football tournament, therefore there were at least 22 kids, their siblings, parents and coaches (and I believe another team was staying there as well). Many times when dealing with kids, the employees can lose their patience ---but I did not witness this. Actually, I saw the lady at the front desk actually go give a little girl some juice and a pastry which I thought was so sweet of her because she didn't have to.

We hung out in the lobby a lot and met with the kids and that was our meeting spot before leaving out and not once did anyone complain. They were so accomodating.

I also believe the hotel was full to capacity this particular weekend and parking spaces were very tight--one worker came out to move their car just so I could park. I thought that was very sweet of him.

I'm not a coffee drinker but love my latte's and Ms. Shakeela made my drink PERFECT every time!!

Our breakfasts' were hosted by Amanda and she was very friendly and helped us with whatever we needed.

My name is Crystal, therefore I remember "Crystal's" name that was at the front desk. She was very pleasant as well as everyone I came contact with. I was in Room 710 and even our housekeeper was very happy and pleasant as well.

We truly enjoyed our stay. I would definitely stay again and I would recommend it to others as well.

PS... the view was just AWESOME!! Waking up to the sunrise was just wonderful!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a fantastic review of your stay last month! I am thrilled to learn that your family had a nice time at Courtyard South for the football tournament. I am also happy to hear that our associates made positive impressions on you and that they were able to make your stay even better! Our team is here to make your stay as comfortable, relaxing and fun as it can be. Please let us know if you are planning a return trip to Virginia Beach in the future!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I checked in on Friday Nov 8 it was later in the evening. The gentleman working the desk thanked me right away for being a reward member. It was a informative and speedy check in. The next morning I was wanting to go for a run and needing head phones bc I ended up losing mine in my travels. The girl at the front desk was able to assist me in finding a new set. I was needing to catch a cab later on that afternoon once again the ladies at the desk were able to look up where I was needing to go, told me an ETA on how long it would take,and got a fast reliable cab service to get me where I was going. This hotel is in walking distance to many stores and restaurants. It is an ocean front property and access to the board walk.
Thank you Va Beach Courtyard Staff for making a long weekend easy and stress free

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for the fabulous review of your stay this month! I am happy to hear that our friendly staff members were able to assist you on multiple occasions, and help to make your time away from home relaxing and comfortable. We appreciate all of our Marriott Rewards members, and I am glad that we were able to show you how much it means to us. We hope that you will make a return trip to stay with us again. Thank you again for the positive feedback.

-Samantha
Carlisle, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We went for 5 nights late October and we would stay here again. I'm a very picky traveler and hard to please but this hotel met my needs. We didn't eat here as we tried many different high end restaurants in the area. 3 of those I'll mention were Catch 31, we dropped a few hundred here for 4 of us and it was fairly decent, our two favorites were Tautogs and DOC Taylors which happen to be next door to each other and have the same owner. DOC Taylors for Bloody Mary's and breakfast and Tautogs for dinner...fabulous! Back to the hotel- we were checked in immediately and had the most awesome Ronde. I don't know what this cat is getting paid but whatever it is, it isn't enough. He made it a point to say HI and chat with my son (15 ) everytime he saw him....remembering his name, Overall great place to stay for the money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback about your 5 night stay with us! I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed your time at our hotel, and were able to try some of the restaurants in the area. Our location is extremely close to various restaurants, stores and attractions. I am also glad to find out that Rande was able to make a connection with your family. Thank you again for your review, and we hope that you will stay with us again!

-Samantha
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

bad customer service. This guy greg has an extreme bad attitude and doesn't care about the needs of the customer- he should find another line of work, or they should put him in the back office. also, no free coffee? You have to buy expensive Starbucks coffee instead. They did move me to another room based on my request, so that was positive. Overall, I like Marriott, they offer a good balance between price and quality.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank derrick w
Robert D, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Derrick W

Thank you for your feedback. At Courtyard we feature Starbucks drip coffee, as well as specialty drinks in our Bistro. In addition we still offer complimentary coffee in all of our guest rooms. I apologies for any negative experiences you had, and your comments will be shared with our team.

Warm regards,

-Robert Duffy AGM
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a reunion with my family and it was awesome! I was greeted when we checked it by name and they new we were there to stay with our other family members. The rooms were very clean and housekeeping stopped by each day. The manager Robert was very accommodating and was extremely friendly. I loved we were right on the beach and loved the cafe that served Starbucks. Great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy B
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for the lovely review of your stay with us last month! I am so happy to hear that our associates greeted you by name and were able to make your family feel comfortable and at home for your reunion. Our housekeepers do an excellent job of ensuring that our guests are taken care of during their stay, and our location on the boardwalk always makes a stay with us just a little sweeter! Please let us know when you are planning a return trip, we hope to see you again!