“Customer Service A+++ | Hotel: "B/B+"”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Great gift from a family member!! :)

So this is a bit of a tough one to rate ....

On one hand, the customer service was impeccable at every turn. However if it were not for the amazing, over the top customer service we received - we would have to rate the hotel as just "average".

The pluses:

*** Maria - front desk: Once we found out they didn't offer room service, Maria began calling around to find out which restaurants nearby were open for service given it was only about 3pm when we checked in. She found a couple of them, and when we decided on one - she provided us with a $10 off gift certificate.

*** Brandon - maintenance/guest services: Not only did Brandon provide us with extra pillows & towels when we saw him in the hallway on the way to our room, but when my wife asked if there was a microwave in the room -- he responded with "your room actually doesn't have one, but I would be more than happy to get you one .... I'll grab you one in a few minutes & be right back with it". He followed through with the 1/2 hour and set up the microwave in the room. Hard to beat that level of service.

*** The view from the room was awesome. The balcony was a nice touch, and was set up so that the rooms to your left & right were walled off for privacy.

*** The bistro in the lobby has really EXCELLENT FOOD. You can order from the room, and the front-desk calls you when it's ready.

The negatives:

*** The toilet in the bathroom was (by far & away) the lowest to the floor my wife and I had ever seen. We are both fairly average height (5'6" & 5'11"), and found that to use this facility was frankly a bit ridiculous. In all seriousness, you would need to be well under 5' foot tall to comfortably use the toilet in the room we stayed in (RM 411). We probably should have taken a photo so that you could see for yourself. Kind of bizarre, really.

Maintenance issues .....
*** The heating/cooling unit in the room was quite loud. We opted to stay in the room because we were already unpacked, but we were offered another room when we told the front-desk about it. Upon our departure, we were told maintenance would be fixing it.

*** The part of the shower you pull down to route the water from the tub to the shower head only partially did it's job -- so that only (roughly) 1/2 of the water pressure came out of the shower-head .... with the rest of the water ending up down the drain. As with the heating/cooling unit; it's likely something that is has since been fixed.

Conclusion: In spite of the few hiccups, the customer service was so solid that we wouldn't hesitate here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms in this hotel face the water so it's hard to go wrong. That said, as with any...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you for leaving us feedback about your stay here this past month! I am very happy to hear that our level of customer service was exceptional; our staff focuses on service and we enjoy making your stay relaxing and hassle free. I am sorry to hear that the heating and cooling unit in your room was somewhat disturbing, your concerns have been passed on to our engineering department. We hope to host you again, and if you are in Virginia Beach in the future please do not hesitate to call us at (757) 491-6222 to make your reservation!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I was fortunate enough to experience 11 Inches of Snow In Va Beach this past week (January 27-30, 2014) I just wanted to recognize the ENTIRE Staff for their excellent Customer Service. Although the entire staff was exceptional, I would like to recognize Mandie and Sam for their efforts. This facility went out of it's way to make sure they made the visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible with the extremely difficult weather situation. Thank you Everyone...I'll see you all very soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review in regards to your stay with us during the snow storm! Our efficient staff works hard to ensure a relaxing and comfortable stay, no matter what the circumstances. Customer service is our priority here at Courtyard South, and I am thrilled to learn that we were able to meet, if not exceed, your expectations. Thank you again for your feedback, and we can't wait to host you again.

-Samantha

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband was scheduled to be here this week anyway...for work. After he left our home in NC to head up to Va. Beach, the weather folks started mentioning things like "record snowfall" "below zero wind chill" and other phrases not generally heard in our neck of the woods. So, by Tuesday, the threat of more than a foot of the white stuff in Eastern NC had hubs calling to implore me to bring our 7 year old up to stay with him at the Courtyard Marriott Oceanfront South, just in case the worst should occur and the boy and lost power and froze in his absence. I DID NOT want to come, but finally acquiesced, and arrived harried and grumpy in advance of the "Winter Event.'

The staff at CMVBOS set the tone for our stay the moment I arrived. Rande Gaines at the front desk greeted me right away BY NAME, having talked to my husband and been alerted to our arrival. (It's nice to feel someone was expecting you, y'know?) Robert Duffy was equally pleasant and welcoming, checking me in quickly while joking with my son (who was frankly still a bit shocked that we'd up and left home at 6 in the morning when we were supposed to get SO MUCH SNOW.) I asked about the plan for the hotel should we lose power, since Va. Beach's snow totals were going up by the forecasting minute, and Bill the engineer stepped in to explain what we could expect, assuring me that I would absolutely still be able to power the tablets and laptop. (This was of utmost importance, as you would know if YOU, also, had a 7 year old boy!!) Later, Bill saw me outside and offered to bring up a microwave to our room, having overheard me mention I'd brought tons of food with me, "just in case". Just awesome - we toasted Mr. Bill later as Liam and I enjoyed nachos in the room!

We needn't have worried about food, though. At the onsite restaurant "The Bistro", Dianne, Amanda R. (Mandie) and Sam had us COVERED. I needed hot tea for sustenance before unpacking? Dianne hooked me up. Second night in, Sam made a pizza faster than I have EVER seen in my life, thus saving my son from what otherwise would certainly have been starvation! And Mandie - good Lord, that woman is a dynamo. I think she was there every time I came down to the lobby - in fact, I found out she did indeed stay through at least two nights there at the hotel while a foot of snow pummeled the beach, just to be sure SOMEONE was there to man the restaurant. (And, every time I saw her, she had a smile on her face, and was immediately ready with lunch, dinner, coffee, an afternoon beer or a glass of wine - whatever I needed to get us through the week.)

Seriously, the staff at CMVBOS epitomized the old adages of "Service with a Smile" and "Anticipate the Needs of the Customer" with grace and efficiency. It's been a difficult week, with roads closed and people displaced, and, at least for me and my family, this staff has made the difference in creating a welcoming, comforting atmosphere...(ESPECIALLY considering I didn't even want to come!) When we intentionally plan a vacation back to the Beach, we'll definitely remember this experience and be back!

***Codicil: If you're weighing the value or veracity of my comments, please note that I know whereof I speak of service. I spent 20 years in Resort Hospitality/Food Service - 18 of those years in management as a Restaurant & Bar GM and as Director of Catering for large hotels/properties in Virginia Beach, VA, Honolulu, HI, and San Diego, CA. When I say this team knocked it out of the park, I MEAN IT. They all deserve raises.

Room Tip: Oceanfront views are awesome!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mbolaughlin
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for the great comments about the team here. I’ll be sure to recognize all the members of our hotel who took such great care of you. We started planning early for the storm, and thankfully had a large contingency of associates who were willing to stay at our hotel to “ride out” the storm, and ensure our guests were taken care of. We tried to make sure we kept all our guests happy by running some additional hours in the food service operation, and providing some additional front desk services during this time. I know my team here reads the Trip Advisor comments and responses, so to the team of Courtyard South – THANK YOU for working so hard and making an enjoyable stay for this guest and her family. I appreciate all your hard work and efforts!

Christopher Thiele

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I am a Marriott Platinum Elite member, and frequent Courtyard properties. This property is a great location, with beautiful views. I found the staff to be extremely personable and friendly. The lobby and bistro area have also been recently updated, and is lovely. However, the rooms are a completely different story. Everything, from the beds, to the pillows (lumpy), to even the towels (thin and scratchy) and shower curtains needed updating. Also, my room was definitely not up to the cleanliness standards I have come to expect from Courtyard. The shower curtain in our room was badly stained on the outside with something that looked like blood, which did not give me a great feeling. This should have been changed out before any guest set foot in the room. Also, housekeeping did not service our room the first day, probably because they were booked to capacity and short staffed. Bottom line, I got a cheap, off season rate and made it through the stay just fine. I would not, however, pay the prices they ask in the high season for this property (and this property is certainly not worthy of its category 7 status). If I were to return to VA Beach, I would stay at the Hilton just right down the street.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and I’m glad you enjoyed the ocean views and I was also was happy to read the great comments about our staff. I’d like to apologize for the problems you experienced with the shower curtain in your room, and I’m passing your comments on to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure we find and replace the shower curtain you described (if it hasn’t already been replaced). It’s certainly not normal for us, and I’m sorry it impacted your stay at our hotel.

I hope that you may consider us for a future stay, and if so, please contact me directly so I can personally ensure a great stay at our hotel!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This is our third time staying at this location. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We love Shakeela and Randy. Our room was clean and comfortable. The location is close to everything. Everything we ate in The Bistro was delicious. Having a Starbucks in the lobby was a plus.

Room Tip: The corner suite was very spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review about your stay this month. I am pleased to find out that Rande and Shakeela were able to make your stay more special. Our location is perfect for a quick walk to multiple restaurants, stores and other attractions. Our Bistro offers a wide variety of healthy and delicious items, with something for everyone! Let us know when you are planning to make a return trip to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The staff is so pleasant, friendly and helpful that I know it must be a priority for the management. Kudos to them for getting service right. I saw other reviews panning their service, but they have either fixed the issue, or the writer caught them at a bad time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mischka62

Thank you for the fantastic review of your recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that our associates were able to make your time away from home more comfortable and relaxing. We are always here to help! Please let us know when you are planning to make a return trip!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a wonderful stay my wife and I had! It was our getaway from the hustle and bustle of the holidays, and to meet to family and friends to welcome in the New Year on the ocean.
The room was clean and spacious, with a great and comfortable king sized bed. The view was outstanding overlooking the ocean. You can't beat the view with a balcony. And the indoor pool and hot tub are a good relaxing treat during the colder weather
The staff was exceptionally friendly and very in tune with any of our needs. It means a lot to my wife and I, that everybody working at the hotel, took the time to say hi and smile.
Would like to give special kudos the front desk staff, Randy, Raquel and Charles. And to Murray, who was very helpful in helping me make up my mind on what to choose for breakfast. The rest of the staff who I had the pleasure of meeting also deserve compliments, but their names slip my mind.
We will be returning in the warmer weathering staying here again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay with us for the New Year! I am so happy to learn that you and your wife were able to enjoy our spacious rooms, fantastic views of the ocean, and our friendly associates. We hope that you will join us next year! Please let us know when you are ready to make a return trip to Virginia Beach!