“Just so so ”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Enfield, Connecticut
“Just so so ”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We just spent 3 nights here. The positives: location is great, and most of the staff were very friendly ( particularly the valets). The facilities are just average. Our king room was pretty small for $300 a night. The breakfast buffet was terrible. You can get a much better fresh cooked breakfast down the street for less money. Only one washer and dryer for the entire hotel. We waited hours to get one load done. The front desk staff completely messed up the procedures for the safe deposit boxes. Didn't give us a key at first even though I asked. When we tried to retrieve some belongings later they asked us where our key was. They finally gave us a key but then called us at 10 pm to tell us we had the wrong keys. They came to get the keys without bringing another set. We refused to give them the keys and then we just went down and retrieved our stuff. Really did not feel that our stuff was 'secure'. I would likely not stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Debbie A
Robert D, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Debbie A,

Thank you for positing a review about your stay. I am glad you had a great experience with our staff. We hope when you come back to the beach you choose to stay with us again.

Robert Duffy
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is my second review of CMVBOS - the first was of our stay during January 2014's Snowmageddon in Va. Beach. We've stayed there at least five...six...eight(?) more times since then, and this review is long overdue. If I'm longwinded, my apologies, but I think you'll find that the subject matter is unusual.

I was born and raised in Va. Beach, and now live in Eastern NC with my husband and 8 year old son. My husband works for GEICO, and as the CMVBOS is the hotel of choice for his company, has stayed there many times for conferences/business. In the past, when we'd come home to visit family, we would just pick the best deal Hotwire had to offer, without any chain or property loyalty. After Brian's work experience with CMVBOS, that changed. We liked the place, the staff and the service, and our experience during the blizzard in January cemented our future lodging decisions.

This review, however, is not of a hotel during pleasant family vacations at the shore. This is a review of how a hotel staff's caring, personal, extra-mile service can make a tangible difference for a family in the midst of some of life's most difficult hardships.

So, you know we visited in January. A few months later, in late March, doctors found four large nodules on my thyroid. Less than a week later, my 84 year old father had a heart attack and was hospitalized. I headed up to the Beach and called Rande for a room. To be greeted by name and with a hug after a panic filled three hour drive may seem like a little thing...but it wasn't to me.

In the ensuing three months, as Dad's condition worsened and we were told it was terminal - and that massive heart failure was imminent - I came up as often as I could - almost weekly - sometimes staying on the couch in Dad's apartment at the First Colonial Inn Assisted Living facility, but mostly at the CMOVBS. In early May, a biopsy of my thyroid tumors showed cancer. I came back and forth until early June, when I had total thyroidectomy surgery. Dad was worse, so a week after my surgery, I was back - still sore and barely able to talk, with damage to my vocal cords. Dad finally passed on 6 July 2014. I was there with him, and stayed at CMOVBS the night after. My family just returned home from a week there for the funeral.

Why do I tell you all this? Because any competent hotel staff will suffice when you're there on business. It's easy to be satisfied with good service when your family is enjoying a vacation. It takes dedicated, genuinely caring management and staff to sustain a relationship with a client/family who is suffering - to anticipate needs in advance, to show concern without cloying sentimentality, to adapt to unconventional requests with flexibility and alacrity. This they did - remarkably, EVERY employee we encountered - with smiles and grace. Class acts all around. To wit: (And the following are just a few of the MANY kindnesses we experienced - no way to list them all!)

The front desk staff are all stellar. Robert and Rande set the tone, and it is mirrored in the rest. EVERYONE knew our names and greeted us regardless of their current task, in our comings and goings. Jonathan came out from behind the desk with hugs, and made sure I was able to print out the readings for Dad's funeral. Sam let me cry to her in unguarded moments - and even recognized my squeaky voice immediately when I called to say I was on the way. Christal's beautiful smile was unceasing, and she even jumped in to valet for me when I arrived far after midnight, too exhausted to park in the garage across the street myself.

Erin and Irene I met later, but were no less caring - Erin was my go-to for restaurant decisions when I was too tired to think; Irene made sure the huge boxes of t-shirts we had ordered to honor my Dad (he was a Navy UDT/SEAL instructor and his funeral was the day prior to the annual SEAL East Coast Reunion. We stayed and attended all the events to be there for so many of his former students who couldn't make the dervice. We gave out the t-shirts at the picnic.) Greg was always ready with a smile or a new room key when I'd lost ANOTHER one, and my 8 year old son Liam didn't start a day without a hug from "Uncle Rande".

The valet staff have the patience of saints. I almost never have cash with me (the fault of a forgotten ATM code and early senility), and owe them big time. Alfred has a smile and a hearty laugh that could lift the darkest of spirits. Chris, God love him, rarely speaks, but his quiet smiles convey welcome and understanding. Johnny is a hoot, Eli kept me laughing - and Ryland couldn't be more polite if he tried. (Seriously - his parents deserve credit for teaching him excellent manners! I once tipped him with a bag of potato chips, and you'd have thought I'd tossed him a fifty dollar bill!)

The staff at the Bistro, led by the ever energetic and Mom-like Diane kept us fed and lubricated with liquid libations throughout. Shakeela zeroed in on my son Liam and he looked for her sunny smile every time. Murray was generally our waiter for the breakfast buffet, and had coffee on the table almost before I could sit down. "Mandy Squared" (Amanda and Mandie) whipped up sandwiches and burgers to take to the room, pizzas and those yummy shrimp dumplings...and sometimes reminded me to eat when it looked as if I had forgotten. And when I needed sustinance of a stronger nature, Wendy the bartender poured and listened.

All of them would comment positively as my voice slowly began to come back, or that my "throat slash" scar was looking better. All would ask how Dad was feeling - and then immediately, how I was feeling, and what they could do for me. All consciously tried to lift my burdens, if even for a moment. I noticed, and appreciated.

I can tell you also that the facility is immaculately kept, the beds are comfy and clean, and though I didn't meet the maintenance staff, I saw the same faces month after month, just as with the rest of the staff. Very low turnover in a resort hotel staff speaks volumes for the management, and is a comfort for frequent guests.

Chris, as General Manager, you are blessed. You have staff who take your leadership to heart, and take pains to live the tenents of excellent service every day. Please know that you have all made a difference for the O'Laughlin family during a very trying time. We consider you all family (as many of your staff referred to us, repeatedly!) and will be "coming home" to see you at CMOVBS every time we "come home" to Va. Beach. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

***Codicil: If you're weighing the value or veracity of my comments, please note that I know whereof I speak of service. I spent 20 years in Resort Hospitality/Food Service - 18 of those years in management as a Restaurant & Bar GM and as Director of Catering for large hotels/properties in Virginia Beach, VA, Honolulu, HI, and San Diego, CA. When I say this team continually knocked it out of the park, I MEAN IT. They all deserve raises.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank mbolaughlin
Mrs. Olaughlin,
Thank you for all the kind works. We are so happy to be your home away from home. It’s only in the eyes of the guest that we can see the things we are doing right. From your review I am so happy to hear what my staff has done for you. Hope to see you back at the beach soon.

Robert
Assistant General Manager
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Rande was working front desk during our stay and he was one of the most impressive employees I have ever dealt with as far as customer service goes. He was knowledgable about the hotel and the VA Beach area, he was very helpful with any issues. What stuck with me most was the fact that he seemed to know every guests name! I saw him 2 days after checking in and he knew my name without any hesitation. That is something that really impressed me, as he must have tons of guests come through the hotel while he is working. All in all, it was a great stay, and Rande and the staff were the best I have encountered in a long time.
-Casey

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Casey R
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for the great comments about Rande! He’s a great asset to our hotel, and I’ll make sure he was recognized for the great service he provided to you!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Courtyard Marriott Oceanfront / South at Virginia Beach has one of the most personable and professional front desk hosts in the business. I have traveled to Europe, South America and throughout the US, and have met and developed business relationships with all kinds of desk hosts in the last 47 years. However, Rande at the Courtyard Marriott Oceanfront / South has to be one of the best. He listens to you and the Mrs. needs and responds with a little bit of humor and a lot of facts. And, he is not short on his opinions of other places and sights to see throughout Virginia Beach and the whole area. He is very informative and helpful, and made our stay at the beach that much more enjoyable. His personality comes out in his friendliness, and he values his Courtyard Marriott hotel against any other ones in the area. He deserves more than a gold star for his performance with the Ms. and I. He deserves a promotion and a raise. He helps make the Courtyard Marriott what it is today. A premier Hotel, with a very capable and professional staff. His hotel bell hop Alfred was very helpful and pleasant as well, and took care of our needs from vehicle to room and the room back to the vehicle. Even the cleaning lady was very pleasant and took care of our room every day so we felt like we were returning to a spanking new room after our time on the beach. This stay and experience at Virginia Beach was an excellent one, and we will definitely return to the Courtyard and Rande and his fellow colleagues in the future. My hats off to you Rande.....
Best Regards,

George Colwell and the Missus.....

Room Tip: Call Rande during the day and ask him what is the best room for your stay, and ask him to name some...
Green Features: The hotel was very clean and the cleaning lady did an excellent job for all of the sand coming in from the beach, and all of the necessary showers multiple times a day.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Mr. and Mrs. Colwell,

Thank you for a truly great review of our front desk leader, Rande! He’s been delighting guests at our hotel for years now, and is a great ambassador for both our hotel and the Virginia Beach area. He has an amazing ability to connect with our guests, and is always working to see what more we can do to make our guests stays enjoyable. Many of the customer service programs in place were inspired from ideas that Rande had, and he keeps coming up with more and more ways to make sure our guests have a great time!

He’s also a hotel celebrity, as guests read about him on TripAdvisor and then come to the hotel looking to speak with him. I’m so happy to hear he made an impact on you and your wife, and we look forward to seeing you at our hotel again soon!

Chris
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a great hotel to stay. The rooms are great, the location is fantastic. The staff is excellent and dedicated to making your stay the best. In particular the Hotel resturant manager Diane is incredible. She is focused on serving the guests and ensures each and every customer feels special and important. Her incredible positive and customer service attitude is contagious and everyone that works for her has the same orientation. A must place to stay when you are visiting VA Beach. Erin from the front desk is also very supportive to the guests and is focused on customer service.

Wayne

Room Tip: The suites are a great deal and very comfortable and roomy
Green Features: low energy lighting and may other areas The recycle and are envorionmentaly responsible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the great comments about Diane and Erin! Diane has been in our restaurant for many years now, and loves making our guests’ dining experience great. I’m very happy to read you were pleased with her service.

Erin is one of the newer members of our team, but she’s been a great addition to an already great front desk staff. We work hard to make sure all our guests have an enjoyable stay at our hotel, so THANK YOU very much for taking the time to recognize their efforts!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I had amazing stay at the beach! The room was wonderful and everything was perfect. It really made my fourth of July stay that much better. I was so pleased with my room when I came back from the beach. Laura did a fantasic job of making it feel like home. It was so great to come back to a clean room, and to climb into my neatly made bed at night. I will defiantly be staying there again. I can't wait to come back to the Marriott Courtyard South Virginia Beach!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ripke89
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for the nice review on our property! I’m happy to hear you were pleased with the service and cleanliness of your room. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to Laura!

The 4th of July is a very busy time in Virginia Beach – travelers come from all over the east coast for a great, fun weekend at the beach. This year we even had the excitement of Hurricane Arthur to make things a little more interesting, but luckily the storm passed by well off the coast of Virginia. Either way, it was a busy, fun-filled weekend in the town, and I’m happy you were able to experience it with us!
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We had an awesome stay. Our room was on the 4 floor, and we could hear the ocean, and people on the beach. The fireworks were awesome! We have stayed At both Courtyard Marriotts on Virginia Beach, hands down, South is our favorite! Rande, Jonathon, and our housekeeper Sam... Were all incredible. They made our stay excellent and one that couldn't be improved on. We have already tried to rebook and they are full, with good reason. This hotel will leave you wanting... Just one more day! thank you all for making this so memorable. We look forward to our next visit!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank k c
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for the great review! I’m glad you enjoyed the fireworks, your guest room, and our staff service! I’ll be sure to recognize the team members you mentioned in your review.

Every Sunday and Wednesday nights the City of Virginia Beach puts on a GREAT fireworks display over the ocean. If you’re in town, or thinking of a trip to Virginia Beach, please keep these days of the week in mind – it’s great fun to sit on your balcony and watch a great show!