“Customer service enhanced the trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Customer service enhanced the trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our first family vacation in three years and we were very excited to be at the beach and to have an oceanfront room. From the time we checked in ( a little early) until the time we checked out we experienced nothing but excellent service from every hotel staff member whom we encountered. Christal, the Front Desk Manager greeted us with a huge smile and made us feel as though she was waiting for us to arrive. The microwave oven that we had requested was in our room before we were able to unload our car and get up to our room.
Our room was very clean and was cleaned in a time frame that was beneficial to us. Our housekeeper, Alice Howard, was incredibly cheerful, polite, and attentive, and went out of her way to find information for me about the location of the clothes dryers and how much they cost. She even ran after us in the parking lot before we left to give us some clothing that we had left in the room.
I wish I could recognize every staff member with whom we came into contact with because there was not one staff member who did not enhance our stay, even those whom we may have passed in the hallway or in the elevator. Every staff member whom we encountered went beyond being polite, professional, and informative; it was very evident that the staff of the Oceanfront South completely enjoyed their job.
This is where my husband stays when he is in Virginia Beach on business, he continually praises the hotel and the staff and he enjoys his stays immensely.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ccggardner
Samantha S, Front Desk Supervisor at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review of your stay with us this month! I am thrilled to learn that all of our associates were able to make you and your family feel warm and welcome. Our number one priority at Courtyard South is to ensure a friendly and comfortable atmosphere for each and every one of our guests! We enjoy assisting our guests in any way that we can, because bringing a smile to your face will surely bring one to ours! We hope to see you in the future, and thank you again for the fabulous feedback.

Kind regards,
Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Came here with my wife and son for a 4 day summer retreat. We had a fourth floor ocean front room . Everything was great but parking sucks. If you are not in the front lot you have to park in a deck a block away which might be ok if the deck was big enough to accommodate a full hotel. It illegal to street park overnight unless you park blocks away.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Hanover_guy
Thank you for the useful feedback about you time spent with us here at Courtyard South. I am glad to find out that you and your family were able to enjoy some fun and sun at the oceanfront! Our property offers both a parking lot and a two story parking garage to accommodate all of our guest's vehicles. We also offer complimentary valet service for your all of your bellman and parking needs. We hope to see you next summer!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Recent stay was a combination of business & pleasure. Marriott is my hotel of choice and I am a Gold member. I have stayed here before and once again my experience was outstanding...from room type, food & beverage, and hospitality it was what I expect from Marriott. I must say also, Amanda S. was the exclamation point of my stay. So charming, pleasant and hospitable :)....Marriott always seems to find great employees that treat customers well...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tim F
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback regarding your recent business/pleasure trip! I am happy to hear that Amanda helped to make your stay extra special, she is definitely a pivotal part of our Bistro team! Hospitality is our middle name here at Courtyard South, and we enjoy making sure that every guest is able to enjoy their time away from home. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again during your future excursions to Virginia Beach!

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Rande Gaines, Front Desk Manager extraordinaire displayed his Superman attributes in the excellent experience provided by Rande and the staff of the Courtyard VA Beach Oceanfront South. My husband and I traveled to the beach as an impromptu holiday on the morning of July 5th just after hurricane Arthur visited Virginia. Due to the hurricane a Marriott Rewards room became available which made the visit extra nice. Even though we arrived quite early we were greeted warmly by the staff, invited to park, enjoy breakfast, and begin the beach experience while a room was being prepared. The room, staff, parking valet and bellman each exceeded our expectation. Nice extra having fireworks both nights of our visit that we enjoyed from the balcony each night. The location is on the boardwalk and in a very convenient spot which allowed us to walk to good restaurants and enjoy the summer entertainment. Thanks for a great experience--great place for a couples get away.

Room Tip: Our suite had a double ocean front balcony and was located on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank Loganhouse
Thank you for the wonderful review of your stay with us! I am pleased to learn that Rande was able to exceed your expectations with his winning personality, and that our associates in every department were able to make your impromptu stay with us better than you had imagined. We hope that you will visit us again for the holiday season next year!

virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband recently had a business trip to Virginia Beach for 11 days, so my 2 1/2 year old daughter and I thought we would tag along and enjoy the beach. From the second we pulled in, until the second we left the staff could not have had better customer service! I couldn't believe how great they were.

It started with the complementary valet. Tyler was beyond awesome! He helped unload our over packed SUV and bring it up to our room. He was always super helpful and friendly. He even notice my husband had left his cell phone in the car at one point and brought it up to the room for us. All the valets were always quick and super nice.

The front desk staff was again awesome. I remember at one point my daughter was upset and crying so they gave and blew up a beach ball for her and it cheered her right up.

Our room was always kept nice and clean and having a 2 1/2 year old in there, I am sure it was a chore to get it back to looking so neat each day. We always had plenty of clean towels. Even if I skipped a room cleaning they would leave a bag of towels for us which was great.

And the waiters and waitresses always had a smile on and always made sure to say hi to my daughter. We would not of typically eaten at the hotel. It was $11 for the breakfast buffet and not worth it at all. But our business paid for it. There was not many options and the food was mediocre at best. I mainly stuck with cereal. You can easily walk down the street and get a great breakfast for 8 or 9 dollars and it be worth your money.

The room itself was nice and clean. We had two full size beds which I found comfortable. It was small for staying there 11 days but it was typical for a hotel room. We had a mini fridge, but really wished there was a microwave. Though they do have one in the lobby. The views of the beach are awesome and loved sitting on the balcony. And every Wednesday and Sunday they shot fireworks off from the ocean right in front of our balconies and my daughter loved that. I was also shocked how quiet the rooms were for a hotel! I never heard anything, even the fireworks were drowned out unless you opened the balcony door. That was a very nice perk.

We enjoyed the pool a few nights, but it was overly chlorinated for our liking. Even after a shower we smelled like chlorine so we mainly stuck to the beach.

The location is right at the beginning of the Beach Street activities for summer. Which was awesome to walk out to each night. And an easy drive to everything.

Overall we enjoyed our time there. It was a typical hotel, but the staff put it over the top!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and had a great view and no sound problems.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pezii
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for the nice review of our hotel and for mentioning the many departments you interacted with during your stay with us! For our future TripAdvisor guests, we have microwaves available as an “on call” item at no additional charge – just give our front desk a ring, and we’ll be happy to deliver one to your room!

I hope we will see you on a future trip to our hotel again!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Just like all the reviews on here this staff has the best customer service I have ever seen and I work in customer service as well.

Front desk checking in was easy and uplifting, valet was very helpful with unloading and loading car, breakfast area employees were very chipper and happy especially for the morning because I am definitely not a morning person and I commend them for keeping a genuine smile on their faces!
Housekeeping and just the staff walking around the hotel were so nice and happy! I love it!

Across the board...amazing job marriott!

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
2 Thank Colleen C
Hi Colleen, thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel team members! I’m happy to hear the front desk staff, valet staff, restaurant staff, and housekeeping staff made your stay enjoyable! We hope to see you back at our hotel again soon!

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Excellent hotel for beachgoers & Getaways. The staff is subperb & could not be more professional.
The rooms are quiet, and comfortable.
The food is moderately priced, & the hotel has a morning breakfast buffet, whic is rare since the Courtyards did away with the morning buffet and went to the "Bistro" concept.
All in all an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the Oceanfront & are excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thanks for the nice review of our hotel and the comments regarding our staff service! I was very happy to read your review and I’ll make sure to pass your comments on to our team.

And yes, our hotel still does feature a morning breakfast buffet! When we moved to the Bistro back in 2012, we kept the buffet also, because it was such a popular amenity at our hotel. We’re happy to offer our guests the best of both worlds – either a delicious cup of Starbucks coffee and a cooked to order breakfast at the Bistro, or a trip through our breakfast buffet featuring a rotating menu and many great selections.

New this year is Starbucks Frappuccinos! We added these items earlier this year, and they’ve been a huge hit with guests!

Thanks again for leaving feedback on our hotel, and we hope to see you on a future trip to our area.