“Very nice and comfy stay”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Virginia Beach
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Great value, comfy beds and very nice interior room. We didn't like pools and didn't use them. We don't need pool near the ocean. Book this hotel if you would like to save money and get good service.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2009

Always stayed here when it was Comfort Inn.. still miss the awesome hot breakfast buffet with sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs etc. Stay here regularly when visiting family in area. Quality has gone down. Fitness room has no treadmill; it used to. The elliptical does not give you any kind of strenuous workout. Hallway was not vacuumed entire stay. Trash bags put out into the hall by patrons were not taken at once. Two lay there longer than 24 hours. Room air conditioner units were extremely noisy. Beds comfortable, clean linens, and no sign of bed bugs in the room. Poorly cleaned before our arrival. Very close to big grocery store with salad bar etc. Walk to the beach is not a burden at all. Crossing the two streets is not a problem. Traffic is traffic no matter where you are. I will continue trying to find a similar hotel at this or a lower price.. but have not had any luck in that search. The price we got was a good deal and the staff
was helpful. It seems that they have cut back on cleaning staff and custodial. That takes its toll in the long run. Prefer no pet hotels.. Animals are animals and do leave stuff humans would not. Excellent parking..always able to find a spot.. even late at night.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I have been coming to the hotel at this location for nearly two decades--it's my favorite in-season get away, an easy 2-block walk to the beach yet out of the congestion, with indoor and outdoor pools so there's no need to fret the weather. This is the first time I've stayed since it converted from a Comfort Inn to a La Quinta Inn and I held hopes it would still be the same clean, good value, congenial atmosphere place of before, but I'm afraid I was disappointed. Besides being generally more run down (to be expected as the facility ages), I found the staff generally to seem to feel inconvenienced by guests' requests. Most notably, while sitting in the lobby I overheard a discussion that someone had complained in the morning that the hot tub was too hot and then when it was turned down someone else complained that it was lukewarm. My sons and I experienced the very same thing--in fact, my older son scalded one foot when he tested the hot tub ... after lending us a thermometer, the person at the front desk said something like, Well, I don't have anything to do with the hot tub ... which may be, but as the representative of the hotel, it's important to make sure that _someone_ is monitoring the temperature. I got the feeling no one was really concerned/paying much attention (and I was concerned that a little child could actually get hurt). I do have to say that in my 2+ days there, the manager seemed to be very busy and earnest about attending to guests' needs so perhaps steps are being taken to increase the hotel's quality again. I will also say that you still can't beat the location, the rate was quite reasonable for in-season, and the hotel seems to have a very nice family-friendly mix of guests, including a good many speaking foreign languages, which lent a nice atmosphere. And my kids still get a kick out of making Belgian waffles for their complimentary breakfast. I'm sad to say I will be looking for a new getaway location in Virginia Beach, but this one gave us lots of good years.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2009

This was the worst la quinta i ever been , it has a horrible cigarrette/crap smell and no air circulation at all , the hallways were dark and stinky also the pool had too much chlorine
couldn't wait to get the hell out of there it ruined my first and last visit to v.b.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emeraldnc
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We recently stayed here for an early summer vacation. The rate was appealing so I booked the room on their website which was easy to do. I found their website to be a bit deceptive though since it showed king bedrooms with a separate sleeping area from the open up couch. We did not have this arrangement when we got there. I was told that they only had one of these such rooms and it was already booked. No privacy from our kids for 4 nights wasn't my ideal vacation.
Secondly, we went two days without any cleaning. Garbage was overflowing and towels were piling high. We spoke with the front desk two times regarding this matter. They were very polite but it wasn't taken care of. We needed to go to the front desk for new towels and a garbage bag.
The breakfast (included) was your typical continental breakfast, but the breakfast staff did an excellent job replenishing supplies of items. This was a plus and the short distance to the beach. I'd recommend the hotel for these two things but be ready to do a little leg work and have little privacy.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Love-To-Do-Traveling
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Got a great one night price on cheap tix. Hotel staff was friendly and prompt on check-in, room was REALLY REALLY NICE!

This hotel is two blocks from the beach, and at the top of the strand, near the Hilton, where there are plenty of restaurants and night scene, which made this hotel a hidden gem.

One of the elevators had a broken call box (the door was broke, not the callbox), which was about the only negative thing we could think of.

Brunch on Sunday was great, standard fare of coffee, juice, bagels and waffles.

Check around, there is always a deal to be found at this place. We had a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I got an awesome Priceline deal on 1 dbl room for 3 nights in the middle of June, so although we wanted oceanfront I thought this would be ok, since La Quinta advertises 1 block to beach. We were not impressed with location. You must cross 2 very busy streets to access the Boardwalk with no crosswalk lights. You cannot see the beach from the hotel.

Indoor and outdoor pools were clean. Free Continental breakfast each morning consisted of hot & cold cereals, milk, juices, bake-your-own waffle stations, apples, bagels & toast, very moist muffins, yogurt and coffee. Although the attendant did a very poor job of keeping the area restocked, trash taken out and was not friendly at all. The room was nice and the beds comfy. Cleanliness overall was good.

(-)
Noise in the hall
7 floors, 1 elevator
Proximity to beach

(+)
Fridge & microwave in room
Business center with free internet
FREE Breakfast
Newer carpet & decor
Clean

Pets allowed and didn't bother us to see people with their doggies in the elevator or hall. Front desk staff was always very professional and polite. For a couples' beach vacation, I should've paid extra for oceanfront. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple