“Very Nice Place to Stay”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Arlington, Virginia
“Very Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I only stayed at this hotel for the one night on a business trip, but the AARP rate was the lowest rate in the area. The hotel was very clean and comfortable; the room was large and had a nice view of their pond.

The only issue was the very loud a/c unit that kept cycling on and off all night. Woke me up several times.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Slevinelaw
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Slevinelaw,

Thank you for your review of the Founders Inn & Spa. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you stayed in one of our lovely lake view rooms. Thank you for bringing areas of opportunity to our attention so that we can better the guest experience. We look forward to seeing you again!

Sascha Hemmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Ricmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

It is 02:32am and i am up waiting on the gym to open at 04:00 where i live so i decided to pen my review after having such a great weekend at the Founders Inn. I booked the weekend getaway around the 18-05-2013 for 08-06-2013 so i was looking forward for the 8th May to get started. Work was so so stressfull and hectic for the past week fews that i almost forgot that i was going to the Founders Inn but when Thursday 06-06-2013 arrived i started mellowing out because i knew i would get ride of my stress over the weekend. I asked for early check in,if at all possible, we got there two hours before check in (my watch was 2 hours fast instead of 1 hour like i like it) but when we got there we couldnt get in early due to two weddings being done. I wasn't disappointment for two basically reasons, i wasnt paying additional monies for the early check in and i had an opportunitity to watch the wedding(being nosy of course). At 16:03pm the room was ready and we were checked in. First i have to say that Craig(i am horrible with names but it is that well well mannered consertative bloke at work at the front desk) was very professional as usual. He said "welcome back" which is a very nice way to show your loyal returning guest that we were appreciated(i've been going now for the past 1.5 years approximately and since 2013 this is our 3rd trip) Anyway, i've taken up enough of your time so i will make this easier -i had such a great time being in the 1 bed/palour. The bed which i always seems to overlook was so comfortable(suffer from chronic backpain so couldnt sleep on the bed all the time but for a weekend it was great to have the softness on my body). When i woke up at 06:00 i was disappointment because that was one of the best sleep i've had for the past two weeks(due to the stress at work). Free breakfast came with the package and normally we wouldn't go get the breakfast but we took up the offer this time. The staff at the Swan Terrance were awesome as usual and the eggs and pancake with lowfat milk was awesome as well. I cannot say enough away the Founders Inn that will let you experience what we feel when we go there. Give it a try for yourself and feel the warm and the comfort that you will have. Note it is not for everyone; if you like noise, loud people if you like modern cheaper furnitures it isnt for you. If you like peace, tranqulitiy friendly staff, great customer service(which is the most important) period or Victorian design (think Founders) then this is the place for you. It is now 14:54am (looking at ABC whilst i was penning this) so i am going to sign off and i hope you enjoy your holiday when you decide to go. Cheers M Allen-Farnan

Room Tip: bed/fire or 1 bed palour
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ms. Allen-Farnan,

Thank you for your loyalty and patronage to the Founders Inn & Spa! I am glad to hear that you always enjoy your stay with us. It is our goal to ensure that each and every guest has a relaxing stay. It is good to hear that your visit to the Swan Terrace was satisfactory. Please join us again soon for another stay and another dining trip to the Swan Terrace!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

We booked this because of a Groupon deal and ended up being pleasantly surprised! The rooms were just "okay"- a bit dated with extremely noisy air conditions; nothing but basic cable and no movie rentals on the TV; you could fee the springs in our beds, which also sloped to the center (pretty uncomfortable- both of them); and nothing in terms of room service. But honestly, for what the rooms cost, it was fine. We weren't really expecting much more than what it was. Plus, they let me bring my little dog for no extra charge. What's awesome about this place are the grounds, which are absolutely beautiful. There is an extremely huge pool with a slide (that was closed because we were there during the fall) but it looked really nice. I will say that I heard/read alot of complaints because they allow people from the city to have a paid membership to the pool, so apparently it gets really crowded, the way a community pool would. If you're there during the fall, like we were, they have an indoor pool as an option, which is always nice. They also have an extremely small hot tub right by the indoor pool, but I would never get in that tub with more than one other person, unless it were people I knew and were comfortable with. I'd say it "holds four" but that'd be cozy and kinda gross if it were strangers. The Spa is really nice and extremely well priced for the experience. My husband and I both left feeling like it was one of the best massages we'd ever had. We would have booked two more if we had stayed longer! Finally, it's worth noting that this place doesn't have much to offer in the surrounding area. If memory serves there's a Waffle House across the street and maybe a couple of chain restaurants within a 10 minute drive. The beach was also a bit of a hike, but VB is good for having plenty of parking and public access. I guess all-in-all I would recommend this place, but probably more for a weekend spa visit, during the off season.

Room Tip: Try for the rooms with the fireplace.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Dear TiffanyNoel,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the various amenities we have to offer at the Founders Inn & Spa. Please join us again, perhaps even during the summer months so that you may take advantage of the outdoor pool and special dining event, Tuesdays on the Terrace, at the Swan Terrace. We also offer a complimentary beach shuttle for all hotel guests, which make traveling to the oceanfront quite simple and easy. See you soon!

Chesapeae
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

I have been insisting the spa since they opened. The staff is excellent and the customer service beyond compare. I have very bad arthritis and they have always been considerate about making me comfortable during my visit. Whenever I make referrals I tell them it is a spa, not a massage place. Go, spend the day have lunch, swim, relax in the jacuzzi, and leave feeling completely refreshed , I know I always do. Thanks again to the wonderful team at the Flowering Almond Spa at Founders Inn, Va Beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Pam,

I am glad to hear that you frequent the spa often and that your visits are conducive to relaxation and healthy living. Thank you for referring us to your friends and neighbors! We hope to see you soon and look forward to your next visit!

newcastle uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Nice hotel but not as special as it appears online as it is out of the way for the beach and other attractions (they do run a free shuttle which takes 30 mins) Good facilities in the pool and gym mainly set up as a conference and wedding venue. The restaurant is excellent.

They had a special three for two offer which when we tried to book on their website only accepted two nights and they would not honour the third as we could only book via Bookings.com. still it was the very nicest refusal I have ever had

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank splodgie
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear Splodgie,

Thank you for your review of the Founders Inn & Spa. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused when booking the reservation. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the pool, fitness center, and Swan Terrace during your stay. They are great amenities of the hotel. Come again soon!

Rockville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

My family was extremely pleased with our stay. The service is outstanding,the rooms are very clean, the grounds are gorgeous.
Kids enjoyed the outdoor pool and the pizza served at Hunt Room.
Their grandfather appreciated the inner yard with flowers,fountain and live mazes. There is a complimentary shuttle from the hotel to the beach, though we have not had a chance to use it, as our schedule included other destinations for kids. It takes about 20 min to get from the hotel to major attractions.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Julia B
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear Julia B.,

We are glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our great hotel amenities, including the outdoor pool and the Hunt Room. We hope that you are able to join us in the future to utilize the beach shuttle and even experience our lovely spa facility. Our hotel has something to offer for the whole family!

Spring Lake, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Our experience with this hotel and their staff was nothing short of outstanding!!! We had a great time with first class dining, accommodations, facilities and more. We could not want for anything more. One of the best, if not THE BEST hotel stays we have encountered.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Larry & Cathee,

Thank you for your extremely kind comments regarding our staff and hotel! We strive to provide each guest with first class service and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please join us again soon for another great visit!