“The property is really nice....a few other things need some work”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 5 July 2013

So my husband and I came for a quick 2 day getaway over 4th of July. We chose this hotel as a result of a bid on Priceline.

The location is nice...right off the freeway. There is a 7-Eleven, Shoney's and Waffle House right across the street.

The property is beautiful! Really BEAUTIFUL! The hotel staff is very nice. The outdoor pool area is also great.

I did try the indoor pool, but the water was extremely cloudy, so I didn't get in. I decided to try the jacuzzi, but the jets didn't work. The jacuzzi is also extremely small. The sign says max limit 3, but I would say it fits 1 comfortably.

The gym area was perfect to keep up on my workouts. Lots of machines and weight equipment. Free towel service and locker rooms in there too.

Now, the reason why I gave this place 3 stars is because of the rooms. We had a room with 1 Queen size bed. I would definitely recommend getting a King for more comfort. Also the beds were way too soft..like sinking into the middle soft. If that's not your thing, beware. Next the air conditioner is NOISY! I woke up, every time it turned on through the night. I did not sleep well at all here at this hotel.

Next, the windows are small, so our room was very dim. While in the hallway, you can hear exactly what is going on in the various rooms. With that said, while in your room you can easily hear people in the hallways. We went to use the 2 extra pillows in the closet and decided against it as it was clear they had been used before as the pillowcases were still dirty. Throughout the room there are areas where some touch up is needed either on the walls or fixing the tile or the marks in and around the tub,

So would I book a room here again....probably not. I did like a lot of things about the hotel, but if I can't sleep, nothing else really matters.

Room Tip: Ask for a King bed if you are a couple.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 777zba
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear L S,

Thank you for your review of the Founders Inn! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's location, as we are a great central location to most attractions in the Virginia Beach area. I apologize for the issues that you encountered. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention so that we can work towards remedying the issues. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know and hope that will see you in the future so we can have another chance to prove ourselves.

There are newer reviews for The Founders Inn and Spa

Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for July 4th week and got a king suite. Massive room with friendly staff. Nice spa and good outdoor pool with a water slide. Only a 30 minute drive to Sandbridge Beach or VA Beach. Great restaurant at the hotel too. We bought on Priceline.

• Stayed: July 2013
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Mistercharcoal,

Thank you for your comments on the Founders Inn! It is great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel amenities, including the pool and restaurant. Our property is an excellent choice for a summer getaway. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

The Founders Inn was a beautiful hotel with a great a staff. Everyone was friendly especially the housekeepers and wait staff at the restaurant. We stayed here over staying at the beach resorts because for less money we were able to stay in a much nicer, cleaner place then what you would get for the same price at the boardwalk. The travel to the beach was never horrible. Traffic was moderate and took us about 20 minutes to get to the boardwalk. We took part in the BBQ on the terrace on Tuesdays. The buffet was delicious and offered many options for entrees and desserts. Food was high quality and fresh. The only negative was the bed was too soft. By my fifth night my back had enough. The beauty of the grounds is the real draw to this Inn. The flowers and landscaping is perfectly done. The back of the property gives you a nice spot to hang with family and friends. The pool is perfect and they offer a slide for kids or kids at heart. I would recommend this hotel even if you are making this a beach getaway.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Salem1977,

We thank you for your review of our hotel and staff. It seems that you were able to enjoy a wide variety of what our hotel has to offer. We hope that you were able to take advantage of our beach shuttle, which is complimentary to all hotel guests. I apologize that the bed was not to your liking. I am happy that the Tuesdays on the Terrace was a wonderful experience for you! Please join us again soon for another fun stay!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed here on our way back from Orlando. The grounds are beautiful, actually, the grounds are amazing. The pool is awesome as is the water slide. Our boys thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was nice with a very big tv. The AC is a little noisy, but you get used to it. Close to numerous restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mikeinphilly,

I am glad to hear that our hotel and staff served you well during your stay! It is a great property for families, as well as those travelling alone. Our gardens, lake, pool, and spa are definitely conducive to a relaxing visit. Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel four times as it is located close to my office. Definately not a hotel you want to stay at if you want a beach experience.
The staff is always friendly and helpful, however the resturant service is poor. Went to dinner Sunday night with a group of 4 and waited 30 minutes for drinks and a menu. Went again Wednesday night for drinks with a group of 5 and was ignored several times by our waitress. We sat for 25 minutes with empty glasses. The wait for our checks was another 20 minutes. The place was not terribly busy either time.
Took the free hotel shuttle to the ocean front and to the office. They had four leaving throughout the day that went to the ocean. The drivers were very nice.
Room was nice but the A/C was loud and not very cool. In room refrigerator would not cool and the phone quick buttons did not work and the message light blinked during the entire stay. I did not complain as they were not major issues to me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank slm302
FoundersInn, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Founders Inn and Spa as we truly appreciate the repeat business. In regards to your poor experience at the restaurant, I want to offer you my most humble of apologies and thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that the issues mentioned will be addressed. We hope to take care of you again in the near future.
Christopher Cruse-

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I can't say enough good things about Founder's Inn. My wife and I booked a last minute overnight stay through Expedia. I found it that morning and we stayed there that night for a great rate. The grounds were wonderful, with beautiful flowers and landscaping. The staff was extremely courteous and responsive, the room was spotless. The bed was comfortable. Since it was Sunday, only one restaurant was open, but the waitress/bartender was extremely friendly and made me a custom drink that was great. My wife and I wandered the property, enjoying how beautiful it was. I wish we had the chance to enjoy the pool. I highly recommend this one for a romantic getaway. We did not use the spa or dine in the restaurant, so I can't speak to them, but everything we did use here was wonderful.

Dear RockingLoud,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your one-night getaway! Perhaps, you will be able to experience the spa and Swan Terrace during your next visit! Please join us again soon!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I had been waiting to try the Brunch for awhile and what better occasion than our anniversary. We got there at 11am with a small line forming outside the French doors that open to the Swan Terrace, we did not have a reservation and were still able to get a table. Upon entry into the dining area my eyes were instantly drawn to the left where the sea food was located. Oysters on the half shell, Jumbo shrip, Smoked Salmon, Cooked on the spot Crab Cakes... I could tell already Id be very happy.

The service was top notch and the food was all prepared deliciously. Most people will find it pricey but I feel like its well worth it if you have a special occasion or want some amazing food and service to boot give it a shot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
FoundersInn, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

We are truly pleased and honored that you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us on our Sunday Brunch. We take a great deal of pride and strive very hard to offer our guests an amazing assortment of different items, including our wonderful seafood selections which I am so glad caught your eye. I hope you saved room for our enormous dessert bar. On behalf of the Founders Inn and Spa, congratulations and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Christopher Cruse