“If you book online make sure you call hotel and confirm.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Founders Inn and Spa

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Cotati, California, United States
“If you book online make sure you call hotel and confirm.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We booked 4 days from a online booking site. We received email confirmations showing all dates were correct. On the day we were to arrive our flight was delayed. I call hotel before our flight took off to tell them that we are coming but won't arrive till 11:30. She took our name and I also asked for a quiet room if possible. Well we get there only to be told that they were completely sold out and the dates they show in their system was not for a week later. The front desk lady said she can put us in a different hotel for the night. After arguing finally another lady came out and was able to give us a room that was reserved for someone else that had not yet arrived (Guilt guilt!). Supposedly the woman i spoke with on the phone was just a operator. I was ticked. So my advice if you book online is to call the hotel and make sure they confirm that your reservations are actually for the date that you booked. Take names on who you spoke with.

Overall the room was nice but bathroom and carpet needed updating. Room was located right next to stairwell and you can hear doors opening, talking and clunking up and down stairs. The gym and the grounds are beautiful. The front doorman is awesome. Cute older guy that was very helpful. Was about 20 from NAS Oceana. The same to Virginia Beach.

1 Thank Jennifer G
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Jennifer G,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. This is certainly not our standard. We strive to make the reservation-arrival process easy and efficient and I am disappointed that this is not what you experienced. Thank you for letting us know so that we may work towards even better service and processes.

We are excited for the hotel updates currently in process. A large majority of the guest bathrooms are being updated to offer a luxurious and relaxed experience. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area so that we may prove our standards to you and so that you can enjoy the great hotel updates.

Sascha Hemmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed there for my child's sport's event. This place has a great style, exactly the way I like it - traditional, comfortable, resempling some places in England very much. Even the way the staff speaks there is quite sophisticated. But housekeeping could be better - the room smelled with the kind of smell that the air-conditioning systems sometimes produce; the toiletries were not resupplied properly, and for some reason I looked into the ceiling light in the entry hall - it was full of ... something. At breakfast, the staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating, and the food was good quality. But the hot water next to the tea was cold.... there was another source of hot water though - in another room. Well.... quite strange.

With just slighty better management, this place would become a rare example of what a great lodging could be - certainly for peple who like (or love) this stye, as I do. But if your preference is a modern shiny simplistic place, just find something else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank EastAngliaTraveller
Dear EastAngliaTraveller,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while you were in town for your child's sporting event. The old world style furnishings convey the rich history of America. We wish to honor the history through our southern charm and continuing the colonial theme throughout the hotel. I apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced, but I thank you for letting us know of areas in which we can improve. I have let the Executive Housekeeper know of the issues so that we may avoid repeat occurrences. Please join us again soon for an even better hotel and restaurant experience.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our three day stay here. The room was very nice and was well kept and clean.
We were visiting family who were staying at the beach and this was only a 15 minute drive to get down to their place.
We didn't eat at the inn but the restaurant looked very nice and seemed to be doing a good business. We did use the pool one day and it was very nice.
My wife really enjoyed the colonial motif.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Greg Y
Dear Greg Y,

Thank you for your review. The Founders Inn & Spa is in a great location that is a quick drive to the beach, but secluded enough to give you a feeling of relaxation. I am glad to know this was your experience during your three-day stay with us. The colonial motif certainly lends to the historical feel of the hotel. Please come again soon and I encourage you to try a delicious meal at the Swan Terrace Grill or Hunt Room during your next visit!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I recently came across the Founder's Inn and Spa. This Founder's Inn amenity is simply a treasure. The spa offers a wide range of spa pleasures from a basic mani pedi to an exotic couple massage. But the best of the best - the Spa now offers personal training with a certified trainer who brings years of experience ! I highly recommend this gem (and the gym)!

Dear Donna W,

How wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the spa and gym during your visit! We recently updated the gym with new, state-of-the-art fitness equipment and have introduced new, exciting spa treatments like the Espresso Mud Body Treatment. The personal training sessions are a great way to liven up a workout experience whether you are a local or visiting guest. I do hope that you will join us for another great experience at the Founders Inn & Spa.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a great little vacation here! The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, the room was clean and very comfortable, and the property was beautiful! We thoroughly enjoyed the saltwater pool and jacuzzi, as well as the hotel's close proximity to local attractions. The breakfast buffet at the Swan Terrace grill was good. It didn't totally impress me, but the service there did. Our server was great.

Overall, it made for a perfect getaway in an incredibly comfortable room.

Dear AshleeQueen,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing couple's vacation. As you stated, we are within close proximity to great area attractions, as well as offer amenities like the indoor pool and Swan Terrace Grill. I hope that you will join us again soon to enjoy these amenities and perhaps even to enjoy a romantic dinner at the restaurant.

Best Regards,
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was my first trip to the Founders Inn Restaurant. The place looked really nice and I expected to have a nice experience. Our server brought us our menus and a wine list. The wine list booklet was empty inside with no wine list in it at all. We arrived on a wednesday night with only three other tables of people there. We placed our dinner order at 7:00pm and did not get our food until 7:50pm! I had the "catch of the day" and there was some mystery meat in my meal. I thought it was a piece of fish until I bit into it and immediately spit it out because it was not chewable and it was certainly not fish. It looked like a chicken leg bone. I had to use a sharp knife to cut through it to try and identify what it was. The waiter took it back and the kitchen said it was an end piece of fish. No fish is that tough. Then when the server brought me another small piece of fish rather than replacing the meal(which probably would have taken another hour to get), he tells me the kitchen staff said the mystery meat was a mushroom stem. No mushroom stem is THAT tough. I looked around and noticed that the other people dining in there had bread baskets. We did not. My date had to ask for some and the server apologized and then brought some bread so we didnt have the bread until we were finished with our meal.
Poor service and poor food. This was my first trip and certainly my last!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank k j
FoundersInn, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Good Afternoon KJ,
Thank you for taking your time to leave a review of your experience in our restaurant. I apologize that you did not receive the service that we expect our guests to be given. We take every review and discuss what we will do to prevent the situation from occuring in the future. I have passed your information about your catch of the day along to our Chef. It is my hope that you will make a reservation and come back to see us in the future. Please if you make a reservation ask to speak with a manager so that we may ensure your future visit goes perfectly. Again my apologies that you did not receive the level of service that our guests have come to expect.
Regards,
Cheryl Stephens
Asst. Manager Swan Terrace Grill
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Second time at the Founders Inn, and it gets better each time. While the rooms could use a refresh and maybe King beds, this place is such a retreat away from the crazy beach scene, yet close enough to bathe on the Atlantic. The breakfast is amazing (eggs need help though) and to relax by the pool after a long day is such a treat. They could really use a bar or pub inside the grounds, but venture outside with a cold drink and lounge on the Adirondack chairs and you can't help but relax! The whole staff is very accommodating and will bend over backwards to make sure your stay is worth the trip. Would have given 5 stars but the place needs some updating and really, really needs some sort of lounge for adults. But we will be back for sure.

Stayed June 2014
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear JCCinNC,

Thank you for joining us for a second visit! As you noted in your review, we are in a great central location, allowing for a relaxing stay in a private area, but also a short drive to the oceanfront. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the pool area. It certainly is a great place to relax after a long day. Thank you for letting us know of areas of opportunity so that we may improve our product and services, including breakfast buffet. We are happy to announce our $2 million improvement and renovation plan, which includes upgraded bathrooms and room updates. I hope that you will join us again soon to enjoy these improvements, as well as another dining event like Sunday Brunch or Tuesdays on the Terrace.