“Wonderful experience”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. It is especially kid friendly. The staff was super friendly, the food was delicious, and the rooms/grounds were immaculate. I wholeheartedly recommended this hotel to those traveling in the Virginia Beach area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Felicia M
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Felicia M,

Thank you for your review! I am glad to know your stay was pleasant. As you noted in your review, we offer great amenities for all guests to enjoy. I hope that you will join us soon to experience the updated guest bathrooms and perhaps even visit during the upcoming holidays, including Labor Day.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The room needed updating and was lacking a microwave. Had a small coffee maker and fridge was small. Ice machine nearby was broken so had to go down the hall for ice. The landscaping, gardens and buildings were beautiful!! Not too far to travel to the beach ,,. It was a great experience !!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank s0phia2014
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear S0phia2014,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It is our goal to help every guest have a great experience with us. While there are microwaves on the first floor of our guest lodges for guests to use, you are certainly welcome to place a request for one in your room; they are subject to availability. Upon making your next reservation, inform the Reservations Agent of your preference. We are currently in the process of making updates throughout the hotel including new fitness equipment and upgraded bathrooms. I hope that you will join us again soon to enjoy these improvements.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at The Founders Inn and Spa for 4 nights. The room was very clean and facilities very good i.e. ice available and vending machines in the block should you require them. The Hunters bar served good food and had a pool table and televisions if you wanted to watch sport. The Chef Darren served up a fabulous vegitarian meal for my son's girlfriend and did exactly what she wanted, he was terrific. My only gripe would be that the Swan Terrace restaurant was not open most evenings and as the hotel was a bit out of the way you had to drive to a restaurant but when it was open the food was superb. All the staff were very attentive and friendly, Would very much recommend it if you were only staying a couple of nights.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen W

Dear Karen W,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at The Founders Inn & Spa. We offer a wide variety of amenities, like the Hunt Room and Swan Terrace Grill restaurants, as you noted in your review. The Swan Terrace is open every day for breakfast and lunch (Brunch on Sundays) and is open Tuesday-Saturday for dinner. I apologize that you were not able to enjoy dinner as often while you stayed with us. I am happy to hear that Chef Darren was able to accommodate the dining requests of your party members. We strive to provide personalized service for every guest. Please join us again soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The good: beautiful propert in and out, felt like I was aboard the Titanic or something (a good thing). Great for couples. Far away from the mess of the boardwalk but only minutes away by car and is right by the freeway. Courteous staff. Very clean rooms, hallways etc. no smoking in any room.

The bad: not much really. Far from the beach but they do offer a shuttle bus. Decor is very old luxury, if you need modern this is not your place. Room was on the small side. Small weird stain on the comforter but maid apologized and changed it immediately.

All things considered, it was a great experience.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SanJuanSky,

Thank you for your review; you described the property so eloquently. We are centrally located to most attractions in and around Virginia Beach, making us a great stop during your travels. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the cleanliness issue you encountered. I am glad it was quickly resolved for you, but I thank you for letting us know so we can avoid repeat occurrences. I hope that you will join us again soon for more great summer activities and our upcoming holiday events, like Thanksgiving Brunch and Grand Illumination.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had read reviews and some were not very good. My husband and I have traveled a lot and I do refer to trip advisor for other travelers input. I was somewhat hesitant , but the inn had a great summer promotion so we booked a three night stay. Our first impression was how lovely the gardens were and so well maintained. The employee at the front desk was so professional and personable. She noted my request for a quiet room and a firm bed. She also informed us she was giving us a room with a newly renovated bathroom. The room is a little dated, but it was very clean and the new bathroom was very nice. It had a great large shower with a super shower head. I loved having a room safe also. The breakfast buffet that came with our room was very good. It is served in the main dining room which is lovely. The selection of breakfast foods was nice and they will make you an omelet if you wish. The outdoor pool was very nice and we noted the staff checking the PH of the water often. We didn't use the indoor pool or jacuzzi, but it looked very nice. I would highly recommend Founder's . Also every employee we met was courteous and very respectful . They had a buffet and a live group on Tuesday. We weren't able to attend the buffet, but the jazz group was great!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Conniedelmont
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Conniedelmont,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable visit and were able to experience our updated bathrooms. We offer great amenities like the spa, indoor and seasonal outdoor pools, and the award-winning Swan Terrace Grill. There's something for everyone to enjoy. I hope to see you again soon! If you are able to join us again during the summer months, I do hope you will join us to experience the delicious food options at Tuesdays on the Terrace.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Rooms seemed small and not very decorative. Mattresses were so soft ( old) that when u sat on them, top almost touched bottom. Linens were nice, so were pillows and mattress overlay. Fridge VERY small, large tv, small coffee pot and microwave in hallway where ice was. Requested one and got it promptly. Light burned out in front of closet, replaced quickly but looked up and saw really dirty filter. Came right back and replaced it too. Indoor heated salt water pool was nice. Hot tub was Extremely small, only seated 3 but was nice and hot but had sand (?) in it. Gym was good with lots of machines. Outdoor pool was large and way better than expected. Was told this was a 4 star hotel, but definitely a 3 star.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Kywomansnowskier

Dear Kywomansnowskier,

Thank you for letting us know of your recent experience at the Founders Inn & Spa. I am glad you enjoyed the outdoor pool and gym during your stay. I was disappointed to hear of your experience with the guest room mattress. We do offer rooms with firmer mattresses. I recommend contacting the Reservations Department (757.366.5700) to confirm your preference and they will be happy to notate your preference for your next stay. I hope that you will join us again soon to enjoy great updates, like bathroom renovations and new fitness equipment.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was recently in Virginia and visited the Founder's Inn and Spa for a massage, manicure and pedicure. The Flowering Almond Spa was amazing!!!

Before my services, I mentioned that I had recently changed to a shellac polish and asked if they carried that particular polish. They did not have that brand, but because I anticipated this might happen, I brought my own with me! I met Noriko who would do the manicure. Noriko was familiar with shellac polish and wasn't sure if they had the proper light to cure the polish. She said that while I had my massage she would test it to be sure.

Then I met Julia. Wow, she gave one of the best massages I have ever had! I was so relaxed.

After the massage I was escorted to the Conservatory before my next services. This room is so beautiful. It does not have the feel of a cold impersonal spa, but rather reminiscent of a graceful southern parlor. There were lovely decanters with water with orange slices. I was also offered a glass of champagne, which I accepted. It was a wonderful way to move from one service to another.

Next I was greeted again by Noriko. She tried the shellac polish with the light and it worked!! She was so delightful!!! I felt like I had known her for a long time. If I lived in Virginia, I would make this Spa a regular treat!!! I highly recommend this Spa to compliment your stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
FoundersInn, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear sonlovers,
Thank you for your lovely review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the spa! Your kind remarks about our conservatory are very much appreciated and the comparison to a "graceful southern parlor" is simply wonderful! I will pass on your compliments to Noriko and Julia!
Pennie Watson