“Spa on wednesdays”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

$50 for two facials was a great deal. Then we had a great lunch buffet for $15( the asparagus soup was especially good!)we then relaxed at the very large pool. I live in VA Beach and the amenities were very nice at the pool spa and outer buildings. Courtney

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cmdewitt
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Courtney,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit! The Wonderful Wednesdays promotion is a great value since you can bring a companion and they receive the same 25-minute treatment complimentary. Stop by soon to enjoy another relaxing treatment like the Sacred Stone Massage or Signature Pedicure. The lunch buffet in the Swan Terrace Grill and pools are also great amenities we offer. I hope that you will join us for our upcoming activities, such as our annual Grand Illumination in November or to experience another great meal in the restaurant.

Sascha Hemmann

Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Very Peaceful. Everyone at the hotel goes out of their way to be helpful. Wonderful Breakfast. Lovely grounds. After a day at the beach and boardwalk its nice to come back here for the peace and feel of luxury the hotel offers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Debbie T,

How wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Founders Inn & Spa. We strive to be a quiet respite after a long day in the city or at the beach. I am glad you experienced our great customer service, delicious breakfast at the Swan Terrace Grill, and overall beauty of the hotel property. I hope you will join us again soon to enjoy all that we have to offer, including relaxing spa treatments at the Flowering Almond Spa and delectable dinner at the restaurant.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is in Virginia Beach but not at the beach. It is an easy 10 mile drive (= minutes) away with good access to the highway system. The hotel offers an cool and calm respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life, and a certain level of luxury, along with well kept amenities for families and older folk. Great outdoor pool, peaceful gardens, lawn games, spa, spacious and beautiful public areas etc
The room was fairly spacious with fridge, coffee and 2 sinks. The beds comfortable and the area was very quiet ensuring a god nights sleep. A/C was reliable, quiet and simple to use.The bathroom was spacious and well laid out. The only reason I did not give 5 stars was that the bath tub looked as if it was nearing the end of the service life, and there were minor maintenance issues with the lower tiles. Also the main sink would not hold water for shaving. Despite this it was very good bathroom with good lighting, good water supply and new granite counters.
The staff, to a person were courteous,outgoing, helpful, and knowledgeable.
The food situation was a little odd in that the two restaurants had rather restricted menus. The casual dining Hunt Room had only 3 selections plus pizzas (burger, fish, vegetarian meal) but all were excellent with high quality food and service. Pricing was correct for this kind of restaurant. The elegant full service restaurant, The Swan Terrace, offers a more complete line-up, but one could hardly call it extensive. Again, quality of food and service was excellent. I took the Virginia baked brisket ( a local specialty , I am told) and my companion had two seafood entrées ,shrimp and crab, both of which were excellent. The wine list was not extensive and heavily favored new world wines.
This restaurant was also used for breakfast service, which consisted of a very good buffet with omelets and eggs cooked to order and other traditional and healthy fare.
Parking is secure and included in the tariff.
I considered this hotel excellent value and would highly recommend it for visitors to VB, Norfolk,and the surrounding area

Room Tip: Check directly with the hotel for special offers. Some packages offer surprisingly good value.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ted H
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Tedhanneman,

Thank you for your detailed review. We strive to offer a relaxing getaway from the city, with an old world feel, modern amenities, and southern hospitality. I am happy to hear that you were able to utilize the outdoor pool, lawn games, and restaurants during your stay. Thank you for letting us know of your thoughts on the menu offerings. We seek to continually improve our services and products for guests and this is impossible without feedback. I do hope that you will return again to enjoy one of our special dining events, such as Tuesdays on the Terrace or a holiday buffet.

Please accept my apologies for the maintenance of your guestroom bathroom. This is certainly not our standard even as we renovate the bathrooms throughout the hotel. The bathroom upgrades have started and are expected to be complete within the coming months. The upgrades include a beautifully tiled walk-in shower and hand-held shower-heads. Please come again soon to enjoy the improvements and upgrades.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had a 2 room suite which was very large and a great rate. Stayed for a couple of days during 4th of July with my wife and 2 kids. The food during the 3rd of July party was amazing and our server Claire was excellent and very attentive. We also took advantage of the kids camp several days and the kids loved it. I don't write a lot of reviews and don't like to nitpick but the only disappointment was the amenities. My wife tried for 2 days to get an appointment at the spa and ended up just giving up not doing any spa treatments. Also the pool has some kind of membership for non hotel guest and it was ridiculously crowded and had the community pool feel, which really bothered me. Overal had a very good stay though and the hotel grounds were beautiful.

1  Thank stevefig123

Dear Stevefig123,

Thank you for joining us for the 4th of July holiday. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I will let Claire and the team know of your kind comments. Our property serves as a great holiday and vacation destination since we are just 20 minutes from the oceanfront, but have great conveniences within the hotel.

I apologize that you were not able to enjoy spa services during your stay. Our spa is a popular amenity and appointments book up quickly. We do recommend booking treatments at least two weeks prior to your stay in order to receive the appointment time and treatment type you prefer. For a future visit, we are happy to book your spa treatments in advance so that you may enjoy a relaxing spa day.

Also, please accept my apologies that your pool experience was not satisfactory. We strive to make every guests' stay positively memorable and we will take your feedback into consideration to ensure a quality experience for all.

We are excited for you to visit us again. Our upcoming event, the annual Grand Illumination in November, is highly recommended and offers great family activities. Come again soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Perfectly sculpted gardens overlooking a reflecting pond and colonial American architecture make the Founders Inn seem more formal than it actually is. The rooms are beautiful, a bit feminine, but squeaky clean and quiet (with a little AC noise - I always bring earplugs to every hotel just in case). I loved my stay here. I enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub, although I seemed to be the only guest who wasn't there for a wedding! The grounds are lovely with rocking chairs on a veranda, and lawn games available. I chose the Founders Inn because I wanted a place that offers more than just a room and continental breakfast. This was the perfect choice. Free shuttle to the beach, too.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor and was very spacious and quiet (with a little AC noise, though).
1  Thank Marcia2424

Dear Marcia2424,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you highlighted the colonial style of the property. The rich history of Virginia lends to this, while we still offer modern and convenient amenities. How wonderful that you took advantage of these great amenities, including the indoor pool, hot tub, lawn games, and English gardens. I apologize for the air conditioning noise that was present in your room. We work towards making each unit quiet and I thank you for letting us know of your experience so we can continually work towards making improvements.

Please join us again soon for another wonderful stay and to enjoy the improvements around the hotel, including renovated bathrooms and new fitness equipment.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

A great hotel in a quiet enviroment. Inside pool and outside pool. Great for kids I imagine! Beautifully decorated rooms and lobby. Grand gardens to stroll through or to catch fireflies in at dusk. We had a great time here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lvs2nvu,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Our English gardens are indeed the perfect place to view the sunset and watch fireflies and our swan Abby as she swims in the lake. Thank you for letting us know of your grand experience. In your future travels, I hope you will join us again to enjoy a meal at the Swan Terrace Grill and a relaxing massage at the Flowering Almond Spa.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our granddaughters loved the pool and water slide. We liked the buildings and grounds which were very well maintained. The food at The Hunt Room was very good. If in the area again we will be back.

Dear Tim G,

Thank you for choosing us for your five day stay. One of our main goals is to provide a comfortable and unique location to stay while visiting Virginia Beach. I am glad to hear your granddaughters enjoyed time at the outdoor pool and water slide; it really is a fun amenity! Please join us again to enjoy another great meal at the Hunt Room and Swan Terrace Grill, as well as take advantage of our extensive spa treatment menu. We look forward to your next stay.