“Awesome!”

Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York City, New York
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We are very experienced travelers, and have to say, this was the best hotel experience we have ever had.
From the superlative cleanliness, comfort of the room, ambience of the entire hotel from entrance, through lobby, and including the attached restaurant, this hotel is a standout.
The crowning touch is the genuine warmth, professionalism, and kindness of each and every staff member we came in contact with.
We loved the style of the hotel with lovely atmosphere.
We will recommend this hotel to any and everyone traveling to Virginia Beach choice of hotel The Founders Inn. We thank all the staff for their warm welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Dmitry L,

Thank you for your kind review! It is great to hear you enjoyed our well-appointed guest rooms and old-world ambiance andd that our customer service was a standout part of your stay. This is the experience we work to provide for all guests and is our top goal. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your visit to Virginia Beach. Join us again soon for another delightful stay. I highly recommend a visit during the holiday season, as the English garden is decorated with 100,000 sparkling lights and adds wonder to the overall experience.

Sascha Hemmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Inman, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family was going to Virginia Beach for the first time. We normally stay oceanfront, but a Groupon offer caught my attention. I was looking for something unique and The Founders Inn was perfect. I decided to book directly with the hotel to get the room I wanted. The entire staff was the most polite I have ever experienced. My family really enjoyed the pool and the lawn games. It was so good, that we extended our stay becasue we didn't want to leave this wonderful place!

Room Tip: Get the package with breakfast - good value
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ms. Wilson,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Founders Inn & Spa. I appreciate knowing you enjoyed your time with us so much that you extended your stay! How wonderful that you were able to experience our unique offerings, outdoor pool, and lawn games. They are great amenities! I am glad our customer service made you feel right at home. Please do join us again soon for another great stay, perhaps even to enjoy a spa treatment at the Flowering Almond Spa.

New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a typical colonial style hotel with excellent customer service.It is 20 minutes from the beach. The hotel has a shuttle (which you must reserve). The food is not priced for families on a budget,but it is great. There are enough places within 5 to10 minutes to grab a cheaper meal. It is apparent that they have. Spent a lot of money on customer service training. Wish they had a hotel on the beach.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SPECIAL1124,

Thank you for review! I am glad to know you enjoyed your stay. As you noted, we are in a great, central location from the oceanfront and other Virginia Beach attractions. Thank you for highlighting our customer service. We strive to provide impeccable and caring service to all guests, making their stay memorable.

I am glad you had the opportunity to experience a meal in the Swan Terrace Grill. Since we want all guests to enjoy a delicious meal, we now include our full breakfast buffet for two adults in the standard room rate. I hope that you will join us again soon!

VA
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My family and I decided to take a quick trip to the beach and after some consideration I decided to book here. They had a groupon deal going on, but after reading the fine print I determined that you can not have a 5 person occupancy (Myself, husband and 3 kids under 7.) So I paid full price through their website. I had read all of the reviews here on trip adviser, so I requested a room with the firmer beds and preferable one that had the renovated bathrooms. I also noted that this was a special trip for my son's 7th birthday.

We got there about 5pm and checked in. It all went fine, we were in building 3. To me, the room smelled a little musty. My husband did not notice, but I have a very sensitive sense of smell. The room had two queen sized beds. After sitting on one it was easy to see that these were the soft beds. And they were *very* soft. I wonder if they even read my requests (no one ever did mention my son's birthday)? I did not bother asking to change rooms because my kids were all sandy from the beach and we needed to bathe them. The bathrooms have been "renovated" and by that I mean they slapped some granite counter tops in them. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice, however the shower/bath was definitely not new. The bath did not even drain properly. The worst, and I do mean WORST part of my stay was the stupid air conditioner in the room. It was SO LOUD. It would literally wake me up every single time it kicked on. And it woke my husband up as well several times, and he generally sleeps like a rock.

There was a pool, which would have been nice if it had not been so crowded. Other reviewers had speculated that there were local families there, and when looking at the sign in sheet you can see that you can put your room number or a member number or something like that. So there are definitely more people there than just the ones staying at the property. The towels are also very small, and further you are not allowed to leave the pool area with them. I towel dried the kids the best I could before returning to the room but it was a chilly walk for them from the pool to the room without a towel.

The next morning we purchased breakfast at the hotel, which was pretty good. No complaints there. We also had good service as well.

In conclusion, this hotel is just ok. Would I pay full price to go back? No, definitely not. Would I buy a groupon or similar. Maybe? I'm not sold.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear MrsVirgina,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate that you took the time to let us know of your experience. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. It is a great and delicious amenity.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We attempt to grant the requests of all guests, however the requests are not guaranteed and are granted based on availability. I understand that bed type can play an important part in your hotel experience and I am disappointed you were not able to enjoy a firmer bed during your stay. I am displeased to hear of your experience at the pool. Thank you for your feedback as we review the towel policy and standard.

I hope that you will also accept my sincerest apologies that your son's birthday was not acknowledged. This is certainly not the high standard we have set for the hotel. We want all guests to feel welcome and extra special, especially when they are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or other special occasion. Thank you for letting us know of the issues you experienced with the A/C unit and bathroom. While it does not change the experience you had, I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern, as this will help us improve our product and services.

I hope that you will stay with us again to allow us the chance to regain your trust and loyalty. It our our primary goal to make each and every guest have a positively memorable stay and we will work hard to ensure this on your next visit.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Let me start out by saying the hotel was beautiful. I stayed this past weekend with my husband and 3 kids. The outdoor pool was perfect for my 3, 6 and 9 year old. I loved the fact that the pool went from 0 feet up so my 3 year old was able to splash around. My issue is the fact that I booked the hotel on a 3rd party site and had to pre-pay on that site. When I arrived the hotel asked for a charge card which is customary for all hotels. Little did I know that they were charging me again for the room that I already paid for. After a big run around and a little attitude they finally reimbursed my money. The second day we stayed we were out all day and we came back around 4pm and the room service woman told us she was "about to" clean the room. They then gave me a cookie plate as a sorry which offended my husband. Just be careful if you stay and make sure you are not charged twice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Kimberly T,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at The Founders Inn & Spa. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the outdoor pool and expansive grounds. They certainly do add charm to the hotel and are great amenities. I hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies for the billing and housekeeping inconveniences you experienced. Please know this is not our standard and we strive to provide impeccable service. I hope that you will join us again so that we may prove our high standards to you and so we may regain your trust and loyalty.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We throughly enjoyed our stay at the Founders Inn. We were attending a wedding and Founders did an exceptional job for the reception. The rooms were very comfortable and had character to them. The breakfast in the morning was very good and had a variety of options. The property is very well maintained and picturesque.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in the Virginia Beach area. It is close to main highways and roads that make downtown VA beach accessible.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jhal33,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the well-appointed, colonial-style rooms and picturesque grounds. Weddings are always such lovely affairs and it is our pleasure to host friends and family as they celebrate. I hope you will join us again soon, perhaps to experience a relaxing treatment at the Flowering Almond Spa and our newly renovated bathrooms with tiled walk-in showers.

Dry Fork, VA
Reviewed 18 August 2014

When we first arrived we were very pleased with how perfect everything was kept up. The grounds were one of the best that we have stayed at. Room was not ready at check in time so the front desk manager said that she would call me when it was ready. We walked down the hall and waiting over an hour in their restaurant. Finally we went and checked and she tried to tell me she called twice and left a message each time. After I called her out and made it clear that she was lying, she proceeded to blame my phone (brand new Samsung Galaxy 5S) and say that the voicemail must not notifying me. Finally the wife and I just began laughing and gave up. All she had to do was admit they made a mistake and all would have been fine. Room was ok, little outdated but fit the star rating. TV was great and so was the bed. If you are traveling as a couple you will need to ask for extra pillows because there are only 2 on the bed. Overall I would stay here again as long as I dont run into the manager.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
FoundersInn, Front Office Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Absoluthick,

Thank you for allowing me to speak with you today regarding your experience at the Front Desk. Once again please accept my sincerest apologies for the upset caused. Thank you also for giving us the opportunity to welcome you on a return visit to the hotel where we can demonstrate our commitment to providing exceptional guest service. I am delighted you enjoyed our amenities including the grounds, which is a calm oasis for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit, which we hope will be soon.

Rashelle Johnson