“A Unique Treasure”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Pleasant Valley, NY
“A Unique Treasure”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

As a fellow hospitality collegue (restaurant business) I know about people's opinions when it comes to writing reviews and the expectations they have set as they enter your fantastic hotel. These days we have been taught to scream loud enough so you can get something for free doesn't matter that you hurt the employees or the business as long as you get what you want and since we are in the hospitality business we work harder to exceed everyone's expectations. I wanted you to know the following about my experience at The Founders Inn and Spa: I received an upgrade to a fireplace room because Stephanie asked me if I would like one it was a small price to pay to impress my wife who didn't have time to take a vacation but I made her anyway (thank you). The room was large, decor was colonial (different but comfortable), large screen TV (Go Yankees) and a King size bed. My wife noticed the Spa brochure right away (located next to the phone - smart) as I knew she would make appointments I started planning my golf escape. Plans were set and we went our separate ways both on our own adventure. My wife LOVED your Spa and trust me she is an expert - thank you for bringing back her smile. I picked her up and as we walked through the gardens back to our room we were amazed at how peaceful and romantic your surroundings are, and your employees make direct eye contact and always ask how you are? As we entered our room I was pleasantly surprised the TV was playing music, our nightstand lights were on, our bed was turned down with chocolate and there was a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries. At this moment you are thinking I did this. . .not me but our room attendant I had spoken to her as I was leaving for my tee time and told her it was our Anniversary so if she could service our room after 2pm I would be grateful. She asked me how many years we have been married and if there was anything extra that she could do to make this more memorable? I remember saying we are just thankful to be spending time together and that the next fifteen years would be where we make our memories and off I went. As my wife giggled at the champgane and starwberries she read the note that was left with it, to her surprise it said "May the next 15 years bring you more happiness and love" Sincerely, the Housekeeping Department. I truly regret not looking at the nametag of the woman who I chatted with but know that I will never forget how special you made us feel and I will find a way to thank you words are just not enough. We spent two days and one night at The Founders Inn and I will tell everyone that I know to embark on the adventure that awaits them.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank T0ucan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
fort worth
Reviewed 24 August 2009

we were there for a reunion.the staff was unfriendly and the servive was terrible.have had better rooms and service at much lower prices.we would not reccomend this highly
overrated hotel. they say they are pet friendly but they are not friendly to pets or people.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank dynamitetx
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I recently stayed at this beautiful resort. I read the reviews before staying here and decided to make my own opinion of this resort. The grounds are breathtaking and the lobby was just simply stunning!
At check in I had to wait 10 minutes even though there was only one other person in front of me. All I really wanted was for some sort of acknowledgement and I didn't receive that. The lady at check in just was too busy to pay any attention to her surrounding I guess. I dont remember her name, but she was tall, thin and had long blonde hair.
On a positive note the room we stayed in was surprisingly different - quilts on beds remind me of home. My room attendant, whom I got to know over our two day stay was very attentive and responded very quickly to our requests, Stephanie was quick to bring us additional towels and shampoo since we were traveling with two children. We asked her many questions about the pool and the property in general and she was very gracious and informative. I never realized how much work it is to keep these rooms cleaned. My room and my experience was outstanding. I will be coming back!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Tammy321
greenville sc
Reviewed 19 August 2009

While the service was great as well as the atmosphere,the room was quite small,and we were placed in the wing where the pets were allowed without giving us notice,this was a problem as we were annoyed by the barking on these pets,our mattress was very uncomfortable because of the sinking in the middle.The lobby had drip pans for the leaking ceiliing in a few places.The food was excellent and the service was great,the breakfast bar was so good,

1 Thank sailorart
St. Louis
Reviewed 17 August 2009

SECURITY / KEYS. We were in a building separate from the main one which had signs that the doors were locked from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. We came and went at all hours of the night, building was never locked. Meaning anyone from the street could have just walked in. The room doors did not appear to be sefl-closing as we would pass door after door slightly ajar. One couple in our group came in after midnight, right by the building door that was supposed to be locked but wasn't, only to find their room door ajar. They called the front desk and were told "Oh, the maid probably didn't close it good." No offer to have security come check for them.

KEYS: Instead of a card, a you have small key that you put in the door and turn; problem was, you had to pull the door toward hard you with one hand and turn the key in the other. I had to put down armfulls of bags, purses, coffee, etc on the floor so that I could use both hands to unlock the door.

BIG PROBLEM: One afternoon, NONE of ANYONE's keys worked on the second floor of the building. For hours. People were sitting in their wet bathing suits in the hall. By that night. the problem had spread to the third floor. None of us could get in our rooms. They sent a team of two to walk around and help people, but it would take a while for them to get there. Problem still was not solved when we checked out the next day.

ROOMS: While initially impressed with the beauty of the lobby and building, I was mildly disappointed by the smallness of our room. Second problem - a not-so-comfortable mattress, which, I eventually discovered, was even more so due to a FULL-sized bed mattress cover, which had been put on our QUEEN-sized bed. It proceeded to roll up and cause lumps all night. I removed it the next day, only to have them replace it with another, wrong-sized mattress cover. If they want a mattress cover, at least make it the same size of the bed. Water on the bathroom floor by the toilet. It was slightly damp, so I put a towel down. The next morning, the towel was soaked and dripping with water. I continued that for the next four days. Yes, we could have called the front desk but since we weren't actually going to be in the room that much except for sleeping, we decided just to put up with it rather than be moved to another room. But it seems like the maids, picking up a soaking towel day after day would have caught on to something.

ELEVATOR SAUNA. No air conditioning in the elevators. That might not sound like a big deal, but it was at least 110 degrees in those hot-boxes. You'd be drenched in sweat by the time you rode only the two or three floors needed to get to ground level.

We were in a fairly big group and heard regular comments about stained furniture, holes in carpets, stopped up toilets, no concern from the front desk when complaints were lodged.

To be fair, our banquet both nights were more than attentive and helpful. They have a great breakfast buffet. It was pretty to look at. But very, very, very run down. Don't waste your money on appearances.

Oregon
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My room was fine- cornoer room with a fireplace. Plenty of room and decently clean (except for a few cobwebs). On arrival, no greeting. When reception finally acknowledged me she told me it would be a while because they had to re- key each room at each door. It was very late and I was very tired, but fine. Then she told me not to stand in front of the desk. So I hauled my baggage to a seating area. Quite a bit later she waved me over with her hand and I hauled everything back over only to be told the re-key person was available. There was no reason to haul everythung back and forth except that maybe it amused her. The key guy showed me to my room- I carried all the bags. Room, as said, fine except for cobwebs. Had a FABULOUS massage at the spa and a really expensive crunny facial. Bill took weeks to work out. All in all, probably won't return. Rudeness is never acceptable.

ashburn, va
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was looking for a last minute option for a weekend trip to Virginia Beach. The only place on the beach that I could find was over $400 so I decided to stay further out. Founders Inn is about 15 minutes away from the beach. I was booked through Priceline and got a good deal, so I didn't actuall pick this particular hotel.
The grounds are very nice, check in staff pleasant. The room was very nice and very clean. I can't believe that I stayed at the same place some of the unhappy reviewers did.
Yes, I did get hit with the $11 resort fee, but so what. It's $11.00; I saved $80 when I booked the room through Priceline. The security system was down the entire evening we stayed there so we had to have a staff member let us in the room. Some of the other people that were staying there went nuts and were very unhappy. I felt sorry for the staff and at least to me it wasn't a big deal. Things happen.
Overall - nice option versus staying at the beach. Comfortable and clean and my whole family was very happy. Only minor complaint was that the maps weren't clear on where everything is and the building weren't mark. But overall, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family