“Female Business Traveler”
Review of 19 Atlantic Hotel

19 Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #70 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The price, location and quality of the hotel were all great, but what made this stay especially nice was the entire staff. They truly cared that you were comfortable, and the GM helped me out more the he knows... I travel ALL the time and decided to get a haircut while in the area. The haircut was a disaster and obviously my unhappiness showed when I returned to the hotel. The GM knew of a couple places to call and found me a stylist that fixed my hair that evening when most salons were closed or closing. I cannot thank him enough and look forward to staying at the 19 Atlantic Hotel again. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

It is a nostalgic hotel, which is why I booked it. It kind of reminds me of the 1920/1930s. The room is extremely small but that wasn't too much of an issue since I was expecting it in this older hotel. It's roughly the size of a bedroom in a house. My bathroom was rather large. The problems were that the A/C did not cool and the room phone didn't work so I had to go downstairs to get in touch with the front desk. There were no other rooms available so we decided shortly after checking in to leave. Maxim at the front desk was very kind, apologetic and helpful. I had to contact Expedia to arrange a refund and I'm still waiting on that which has nothing to do with the hotel itself. We checked out at 1 a.m. and went to another hotel. This was very troublesome since we had been up since 4:30 a.m., worked, and had just driven 4 hours. As others have stated you will likely have to park a couple of blocks down the street. That was not really an issue for us since we are able to walk easily; it will be an issue for people who have trouble walking or in poor weather. Also, the area and people surrounding the hotel are very loud and rowdy.....but that is a Virginia Beach thing and not the hotel's fault. The location is perfect for walking around Virginia Beach. However, if being in the middle of loud, intoxicated people bothers you then it will be an issue as you are going in and out of the hotel and walking to your car. I'm giving the hotel two stars because I like the nostalgic atmosphere they are trying to create, because of the proximity to the boardwalk/beach and because Maxim was helpful; otherwIse it would have been a one. I really wanted to like this place but because of the a/c I cannot recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fluffycrane
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Great prices. Super close to the beach. The rooms are cozy, but they work just fine. The staff were excellent! Although other reviewers have said that parking is sometimes hard to find, we haven't had a problem. I also found that the rooms were quiet. Did not hear any street noise as other reviewers have mentioned.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jli8990
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Adequate parking is a major drawback. There is only limited parking at the hotel. But the hotel offers parking in another lot a block away. Other than that it was a fairly straightforward hotel. Roof top viewing area was nice, lots of lounges and chairs. Area was clean. You could see ocean from there also.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have travelled far and wide, and this has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. If it was not for the fact we had pre booked this with Expida and ther was not much we could do, we would have checked straight out. The rooms are so small, one side of the bed was against the wall and a fridge and microwave were at the end of the bed. The walls were all marked and the carpets were filthy. The Bathroom was even smaller and you have to sit on the toilet to the side as you cannot get your legs between the wall and the bowl. The shower was a disgrace.
The front desk were very unhelpful. There was no parking space and the overflow car park is two blocks away. We were told just to double park and hope who we blocked in were not in a hurry to get out.
The hotel is close to the strip, but also has bars and clubs below, which you could hear the base of the music till at least 2.00 AM.
They call this a boutique hotel. Must mean small rooms.

Room Tip: Do not stay there.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bob52
Reviewed 18 September 2013

First time to Va Beach. Booked online. Room was tiny. Had about a foot and a half of space all around the bed. Bathroom also tiny. Across the street from the beach. Right in the middle of the strip. We walked everywhere. Modern room. Great bed. Flat pillows. Filthy carpet. Desk staff were all friendly and helpful. Next to last night ac started dripping, but it never seemed to cool anyway. Staff moved us to a nicer room with a lot more walking around room but no view. It was in back of the hotel. AC worked great in there. Cable tv. NO WIFI. Wired internet only. NO POOL. Smoking deck way up on the roof a pretty long walk away. Its got walls on three sides which block wind, but restrict view to straight ahead, and if your sitting down you cant really see anything. Cheaper restaurants on the street behind the hotel rather than on the strip. Calzone at Doughboys Pizza was the best I ever had. Bullys BBQ was three or four blocks straight back behind the hotel. Good food and friendly staff. Best breakfast we had. Buffet place on street behind hotel, a block away. Good food, friendly staff, not overcrowded like the strip. This hotel is also next to a strip of bars one of the locals told us they call "the block". Plenty of drunks out at night whooping and hollering. Glad I took earplugs, but hey, it is the beach so expected that. Plenty of souvenir shops all around. Overall not a bad place. Good price. Good location. Small rooms. No pool. No wifi.

1  Thank VADude3