“Fantastic Boutique Hotel!”
Review of 19 Atlantic Hotel

19 Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #69 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 9 July 2009

When we first checked into our room we were given a room with no outside windows(our window looked into a stairwell). While the room was very nice, we just weren't able to not have sunlight in our room for a week stay! When we went back downstairs to request something with a window, our request was granted and we were put into a room with a view of Atlantic St. We were able to see the ocean from this room, and the room itself was very nice! The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but it was not a big deal. The room also had a fridge and a microwave, which was nice to have. The bath amenities were from Bath and Body Works. The best part of the hotel is the incredibly friendly and helpful staff! The GM, Santiago, was fantastic! The location of the hotel couldn't have been better! You're close to everything, just right across the street from the beach, and within a block of some great restaurants. The hotel did not serve breakfast, but they did have breakfast bars out by the coffee every morning. There is pretty limited parking next to the hotel, but they do have an offsite lot a couple blocks away if the hotel lot is full. There was no wifi when we stayed there, which was a bit of a problem since we were there for business. Also, there was a great rooftop area, but it wasn't furnished during our stay. We actually saw the truck bring the rooftop furniture in on the day of our departure, and we're sure it's very nice up there now. Beautiful view, for sure! If I was going to be in VA Beach again, I would absolutely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for 19 Atlantic Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2009

My husband and I love going on vacation and staying in hotels; however this is hotel I would not recommend. To start off when we got there they were out of parking! They literally only have 22 parking spaces and if you don't get one you have to park 2 blocks away and carry your luggage from the hotel from there! I have to say it does look like the pictures on thier website, but out room was extremely small. I read some of the other reviews and though "oh we can handle a small room" but this was so small that my husband and I could lay on the bed and literally touch ever wall in the room. The shower is a one stall shower, and there is no place to sit your shampoo or soap. Also, it took the staff over 40 minutes to get us shower towels! I also was given TWO towels that had hair folded in them~GROSS! Our air conditioner made a buzzer sound every morning from about 7:30 to after 8:30 (so don't plan on sleeping in). I told the manager of our experience and he was not at all concerned and really was not apologetic at all. I was very disappointed with the manager, and just for that fact alone I would not go back to this hotel. To be honest we were trying to save money, but I would have rather paid the extra and had a decent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJPA_9
Reviewed 27 June 2009

If you are looking for a great location on a budget this is for you. The rooms are smaller than an oceanfront room. But the ocean is literally right across the street. You are in the middle of the action on Atlantic Ave. with restaurants and shops feet from your door. While there are no balconies in the room, there is a great rooftop deck with tables and chairs, where you can see up and down Atlantic Avenue and the water as well. Keep in mind that it is an older building, but it has been remodeled complete with flat screen televisions and ice cold AC (It was crazy hot outside) and it is very clean with no musty smell like some hotelrooms by the ocean . This was great for when you want to get away and you are on a budget like myself and many others are right now. I, my mother and my 2 children had a blast.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2009

When we first checked in and got to our room I was VERY suprised to see the room didn't have a window!!! We had to wait til the next afternoon to be switched to a room WITH a window. The rooms are VERY small but VERY clean!!! The staff was very helpful and went beyond thier duties!! Especially the two girls that worked the afternoons!!! This hotel was in a great location, directly across the street from the ocean. I would recommend this hotel as long as you don't mind very tight spaces!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We went to Virginia beach for the memorial day weekend. Got a decent deal in this hotel considering the rush on that weekend. It has a good location being only 1 block away from the beach and close to all amenities.
The rooms were decent and worked for us since we hardly spent time at the hotel. The hotel has free parking next to the location. The only difficulty was with connecting to internet. They do not have wireless and the hotel receptionist informed us that they do have free wired internet. We could not connect it to it though.
Overall, a decent hotel for a short trip

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank swarnadeep
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We booked our Memorial Day stay here based almost entirely on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor. Sadly, our TripAdvisor friends let us down. :(

The good:
1. The rooms are modern-looking
2. There's no musty smell found in many Virginia Beach hotels

That's all I got, folks

The not-so-good.
1. Super small rooms - now, look. I am okay with a small room. I have stayed in many a small rooms in Europe with much satisfaction. However, there's small and well-designed and there's small. You need to be able to function in a room - that's impossible here. Sit on the toilet and bump your head on a wall. No shelves in the shower to put anything (where do you put the shampoo? the soap went on the floor - gross). You couldn't get dressed in the bathroom if you wanted. There's no fan in the bathroom, so it's hot and humid (the smells will come soon, I'm sure.) If you sleep on the right side of the bed, you need to scoot off the edge to get up, because only the person on the left has enough room to get up (barely). Want to use the free Internet connection? There's no place to put your computer, so you have to sit on the mini-floor.

2. Location vs price. Okay, I expect to pay less for a room off the beach. But I also expect the room to be worth the price ($149 a night). It wasn't. A room that small should be going for much less. I see the reason why this hotel was advertising vacancies with a sign outside the door on a holiday weekend.

3. Our room didn't get maid service the entire time we were there. Day one, we put out a do not disturb sign for an hour or so to take a nap. We were woken up by the maid to hand us towels (why the sign, then?) but it seems if you miss the rounds, they don't come back. There was no maid service on Sunday at all.

4. They tell you the hotel is recently renovated. I don't doubt that, but they should seriously call the renovator and get their money back. There are holes in the wall that have been patched, but not repainted. Nails stick out of the wall, begging you to scrape yourself on them. There are black marks all over the tiles in the bathroom. There are marks on the wall. It doesn't look very professional.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1Carmen1
Reviewed 14 May 2009

We really enjoyed this hotel for the price. The location is great! It is right down the street from the Conference Center.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business