All reviews hunt room bourbon distillery historic hotel hunt club luxury destination distillery tour resort stay marble bathroom garden view turn down service indoor pool room with queen beds this wonderful hotel across the street an overnight stay lounge chairs marriott properties
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We came in for Sunday brunch (late as hell for our reservation, mind you) and everyone was SO NICE even though we were late. We sat outside and Stephen was our server. He was charming, charismatic, and read our vibes well. Attentive and quick service! We had a great time! Thank you Stephen, and thank you Cavalier Hotel!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

So thankful this wonderful hotel was not only restored, but perhaps even surpasses it's former opulence. In just a two night stay we celebrated 2 birthdays & a wedding anniversary at this recently reopened resort. I can't say enough about the comfortable rooms and attention to detail. Between myself and friends, we experienced a king garden view room and a suite. Both met or exceeded expectations for rest, entertaining, and ablutions! The in-room coffee service was also exceptional. With the beach club across the street, there is nothing comparable to a resort stay like this anywhere in the area.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank trvlgrly
Reviewed 20 June 2018

Had a wonderful dinner at Becca's. The wait staff was highly professional and very helpful. I am lactose intolerant,so the server walked me through a few options and even checked with the chef to make sure my order was not made with butter. Sure enough, it was. He recommended two other entrees that were better for me. From beginning to end, we were able to have very enjoyable evening. Love the server from Texas!

Reviewed 19 June 2018

First, let me start off and say that I've never given a hotel of any sort 5 stars. This was a wonderful exception. The renovated hotel is simply gorgeous and filled with old southern charm and a lot of class. My room was clean and I loved the decor. The private beach club that is across the street is super nice. You don't feel like your in Virginia Beach and the service was top notch. We frequented the restaurant Becca for breakfast. It was delicious and the ambiance was a great addition to the meal. Every single staff member was nice and helpful and I never had an issue with lack of service. The visit was incredibly nice and I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank mwoody615
Reviewed 19 June 2018

First-time visitors this past weekend. The property is beautiful, truly breathtaking. The hotel reopened in march after 4 years of painstaking renovations to this historic site. They've clearly invested a ton of money and it was worth it.

Food at Hunt Room was excellent and the Cavalier burger (available at Becca or the beach club) is amazing. Unfortunately, we also faced several service opportunities during our stay.

1) Pre-Arrival Call - Someone will call you before your visit to ask what time you plan to arrive and if you need help with any reservations. Wonderful, we were so excited... until nobody answered our multiple return phone calls and message. There is no dedicated concierge desk at this hotel. We ended up piecemealing our own reservations by calling "the operator" through the main line. They do not give out the front desk number to the hotel.

2) The Beach Club - Beautiful and posh site that is across the road and easily walkable from the hotel (access is included in your stay). Unfortunately, significant construction is going on right next door, so while weekends are pretty quiet, weekdays you will experience an active construction site with cranes and 20ish workers. Also, you will be required to walk through a gravel employee parking lot in order to reach the front door of the club.

3) Check-In - The hotel has a 4pm check-in time, which we found to be pretty late by industry standards, but we arrived early (noon) and spent our time at the beach club. The front desk said they had marked us as arrived and would call if our room became available. When 4pm arrived, we hadn't heard anything so we walked back to the hotel only to learn that our room was not ready. Everyone was very sorry, but had no other solutions to offer beyond "you're welcome to wait in the lobby or sit hear if you'd like [at the checkin desk]." Our room was finally available at 430pm.

4) Management - Because we had a couple less-than-ideal service experiences, I reached out to the operations manager (interestingly enough, he is the one who reads the facebook messages). Nick was wonderfully apologetic and understood our concerns and was eager to make things right. I asked for free valet (btw parking costs $18/day) and was approved without question. *Unfortunately valet was mistakenly still listed on our bill upon check-out. The front desk was happy to honor our agreement, but it serves as an example of the many communication breakdowns across service staff.* The hotel manager gifted us a bottle of champaign for our troubles after the pre-arrival and check-in troubles, which was nice but not especially meaningful when we spent close to $1000 on food, drink, and spa services over the weekend.

Overall, we loved the property and found the weekend to be very special. Service remains a significant area of improvement, particularly because the hotel sets a very high standard for itself and then fails to meet it fairly regularly.

2  Thank Kevbot S