“Great Hospitality from new owners!”

Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have stayed here many times and were wondering about how things would change with the new owners. They have a more Coastal/Beach theme in their decor that this Florida girl liked. The breakfasts were delicious and as filling as always. The new owners were friendly and very accomodating. Thanks for a great weekend with my husband's 90 year old mother. We even got choc covered strawberries from the Easter Bunny!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamkay0707
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Oh my goodness we so loved having you visit for your anniversary and for you mom- in-laws 90th Birthday. The 3 of you were a true pleasure! Thank you for returning and giving us a chance! We are born and raised here so the Coastal/Beach thing is just what we love!! Thank you for taking the time to write this great review.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at Barclay Cottage. By the time we left, we felt like we were old friends with Rich and Sharon (the owners). You could really tell the extreme attention to detail that was paid throughout the entire property (even the coffee cups had a picture logo of the cottage on them!) Our room was quaint and charming, and we loved the lighthouse theme of our particular room.There was a wonderful breakfast nook that also doubled as a sitting room, where the owners provided local newspapers, magazines, and music. Rich even offered a bottle of wine while we were sitting and enjoying the room in the evening. Breakfast was delicious; there was an incredible quiche we had our first morning that I still think about! We were also provided a great recommendation list in our room of local restaurants, categorized by how fancy the atmosphere was. Every recommendation was great, and we really felt like locals!

There is truly nothing bad to say about the B&B- we felt so comfortable the entire stay, and can't wait to tell all of our friends about our experience. We were even offered a discount on our next stay; this was truly an example of great service.

Thank you Rich and Sharon!

Room Tip: A few of the rooms upstairs require you to share a bathroom. We loved our room on the bottom floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nwolf14
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

You both were so enjoyable; it felt like old friends were visiting with us! We like it when the details are noticed; we wanted you to feel special, as you are. ( I must say Rich’s quiche is amazing and I am happy you were able to share it with us.) Rich would be happy to share the recipe, but we would rather you return and enjoy it again here. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I am so happy to let everyone know that although the Barclay Cottage has changed ownership, its excellent service continues! Exceptional hospitality, delicious meals and comfortable accommodations are still experienced at the Barclay. Sharon and Rich were wonderful hosts and tended to my every need. Thank you both!

Room Tip: Fitness center and pool N/A.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LeslieSage
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

We are excited to be the new innkeepers of this historic coastal cottage! Marie Louise and Steve will be a tough act to follow we are having fun and giving it our best. We enjoyed meeting you. Thank you for sharing your comments on your experience for all to see!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This stay had it all. Great people, comfy room/bed and breakfasts that were uber-delicious, lovingly prepared and presented with just the right elegance. My trip was mostly biz. Rich and Sharon were made sure everything was perfect for my afternoon client meeting that went great. But the best part were the conversations with Rich/Sharon ...and the other guests. Honestly came away feeling like I got two new friends in the bargain. Can't beat that!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rivtrail
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

You did get two new friends! We miss you already! We are happy you were pleased with your accommodations for your stay and your meeting. Visit again soon, we will have another uber-delicious (I love that word) breakfast waiting! Sharon & Rich, Innkeepers/Owners

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed there in July with my aunt. Our stay was more then I could have imagined. It was like staying with family. The breakfast was so good and everyone was so nice. There was everything I could have needed available for use...from beach chairs, to aloe, to everything in between.

I had lost a ring there that had great meaning to me. I received an email almost a month after my stay that the ring was found. The fact that they remembered I lost the ring and contacted me says how much they care for those who stay there.

I will recommend this place to everyone and hope to come back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ashely w
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

I once lost a ring that was very special to me and it was lost for one and a half years. Then it was found right in our home. That was a very long time ago and I still remember how glad I was when it was found. Imagine our surprise when history repeated itself here! We are so glad it appeared from its little hiding place!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This is a great B&B for many reasons..exceptional hospitality..comfortable environment..accessibility to beach surroundings..comfy beds..great breakfasts..loved all of it !
The innkeepers are so perfect for their B&B & seem to truly enjoy all the fun of beach life.
All you have to remember to bring is the sunblock...they supply you w/ all the "beach stuff" you will ever need.
Although there are numerous places to stay at VB & you have many choices..this one is a winner.
We'll be back..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LFMME
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Well, when you're home you don't have to think about all that beach stuff and that's how we want you to feel when you're here. We hope you now know that this is your beach home away from home!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have loved B&B's for a fair many years. And I told Marie-Louise and Steve that I was going to give them a horrible review, because I don't want anyone else to go there. That way when we want to we can :-) But since we won't be there for some time, and there place is so awesome, I have to give them 5 Stars for their place. Because I do want to return someday. Seriously, from the moment you arrive, you are family. So much so, that there is a good chance you'll get a hug, and handshake upon departing.

But seriously, this is a magnificent B&B with wonderful owners who care immensely about their clients. And have so many extras available at no charge. The bikes, and all the beach stuff (towels, chairs, umbrellas and even a cart) is available for you whenever you want to go. They truly are community based, and will refer you to whatever your inkling is for dinner that night. And super supportive of the locals businesses.

They have a wonderful porch on each floor, with hammock, swing, and comfy chairs. One night we ordered take out, just so we could sit on the patio and enjoy it.

You will not regret staying here, unless you like noise. No one under 18 allowed :-)

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Whew!!! I am glad you changed your mind and wrote a positive review! Just let us know when you're coming back and we'll save a room for you! Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review!