“Very upset!!”
Review of Ocean Key Resort

Ocean Key Resort
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had gone down to VA beach to surprise my sister for her wedding!! I found a great deal online on a room, but I had to do a timeshare presentation. Which was fine! I am in the market to buy a timeshare anyways, so this was a win win situation! BUT when we arrived and checked in everything was fine. The next morning when I went down to do the presentation, I was told that I couldnt do it because my live in boyfriend was not with me? I was NEVER advised that he had to be with me. To me, it seemed like a scam. They wanted to charge me full rate for the 3 nights. At this point, the staff was very rude, and we left and put our money to better use at a resort with kind and well trained staff. Bill Mitchell, the hotel manager was very kind and helped out alot. I would just suggest that the staff get re educated. I don't like being lied to, let alone right to my face with a bad attitude. It was not very good customer service. I have very good friend that are bussiness owners and when I told them about this, they were amazed! The point is, I was told one thing on the phone and told another when I arrived. Is that how they get you there? We will never know!! This was a lesson very well learned!!

5  Thank Angie91201
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

I apologize for the miscommunication and inconvenience this caused. Thank you for your feedback as it will help us improve our guest’s experience in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

our one bedroom unit was nice and clean. the staff is very is very friendly (maurar really knows what's going on and was very helpful). it is nice to have more than just a hotel room to come back from the beach to. the living room was a little small but comfortable, the bed room is large and has lots of closet space, the bath room is large, clean and had all the hot water you could want. the unit had a full kitchen and though it was small it had everything you'll need. everything was very clean and although they don't do room service they do have a towel exchange every day and free guest laundry. and my favorite part of our unit, a flat panel HDTV in booth the living room and the bed room. I could watch football and she could watch something else. the only cons: no outdoor pool, only one window, and not on the beach (but only about 100 yards right across the street).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff H

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and mentioned our beautiful Resort, amenities, and wonderful staff especially Maura. I appreciate your choosing VSA Resorts and look forward to your family’s next vacation in Virginia Beach.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a very nice place,we have been here four times!The staff are very nice,very helpful!We always see Larry working everywhere,and he is so nice and helpful! The rooms are very clean and the beds are great,i have a bad back and the beds there have a lot of support! The bathrooms are large.We have been in some that the bath rooms are tiny,not here,nice and big! Beautiful pool! We love it here.Thank you Staff! Excellent!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gerald M

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your vacation and had returned over the years. We appreciate you mentioning our resort amenities, and wonderful staff - especially Larry.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Checked in a couple of hours ago. Check in was so nice and easy. We did it from the car and our reservations were in the system :) No problems. The staff has been very helpful in getting us settled into the resort. We are in our unit on the 9th floor overlooking the Verizon sponsored bandstand. Great view of the ocean and the bandstand. GREAT for people watching :) The resort is well staffed with pleasant people. Fireworks are on for tomorrow evening and we have front row seats on our 9th floor balcony. Looks like we'll be here next year also :) Nice having a living room, bedroom and kitchen area :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George C
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for sharing your curb-side check-in experience with VSA Resorts – only we offer such a convenient and friendly option to standing in a long line to start your vacation! I appreciate your choosing the Ocean Key Resort and for sharing photos of your 9th floor view of the American Music Festival.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Yes, we do own a timeshare at the Ocean Key and you have to understand that this was an old hotel converted into timeshare. So that being said "Yes" the units are small but there was only 4 in our family so it was big enough. The units were remodeled a few years back and they have been well kept since then. Each year there seems to be another feature added that makes the resort better. We like to get an early start driving into Va Beach to avoid the traffic and I was suprised to find the room available and ready to check in by noon. I like the fact also that the resort is at the end of the strip by Rudee Inlet so the traffic is much less at that end of the beach. HOWEVER, there is one DOWN side of our stay for the last few years. We have asked to upgrade to a balcony room looking towards the ocean. Each year they will upgrade but for a $60 a night fee. REALLY??? We are owners at the resort which should afford us some perks. I know that some of the oceanside room are vacant each night and I think if a owner asked to be upgraded and the room is available then they should be granted the favor. Next year we will try again and hopefully the answer will be "Yes".

2  Thank DannyDebbie

I appreciate you sharing your vacation experience with the Ocean Key Resort as well as your timeshare ownership with VSA Resorts. I understand your concerns with the availability of the balcony units. Fortunately, those units are completely sold out for ownership and the upgrade fees are part of the rental proceeds which are paid directly to the timeshare owners participating in the rental pool. Please let me know if you are interested in speaking to one of our vacation consultants in reference to an upgrade in your ownership, which might better fit your family’s needs. I look forward to your next visit with Ocean Key Resort!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

As an owner for 21 years I always have a great and relaxing time when we go there, My room is fantastic, nice and spacious for my family. As usual all hotels have thin walls but we've gotten used to it. Nice and friendly staff, activities daily, easy walk to the ocean, and dining is just a short walk. Lots of sites to see, and activities either walk to, or a short drive. Can't wait till next year.

2  Thank Ed B
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your vacation ownership experience with VSA Resorts. I appreciate your ownership at the Ocean Key Resort and look forward to seeing you and your family next year!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Our family has never been to Virginia beach. We planned our trip a week before our vacation. We looked at several places and read a lot of reviews. We decided to stay at ocean keys and we were very pleased. We spoke with Patricia from the rental agencie and she was very professional and answered all of my questions. I requested a room with a view of the ocean and balcony and that's exactly what we got. When we arrived at the resort, parking was very convenient and several spots are available. Check in is at 3:00 and we arrived an hour earlier which was fine since our room was ready. The front desk staff were very friendly, always saying hello and smiling. Finding luggage carts was easy and they have several of them. Our room was on the 7th floor and was clean and spacious enough for the three of us. We never used the pool, hungout on the beach instead nor did we eat at the pizza place located in the resort. I would go back to this resort.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank cowkid
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your vacation with us and mentioned our beautiful Resort, wonderful staff, especially our Vacation Consultant, Patricia. I thank you again for choosing VSA Resorts and we look forward to your family’s return in the near future.