“Enjoyable Time in a Good Location”
Review of Ocean Key Resort

Ocean Key Resort
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia
“Enjoyable Time in a Good Location”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We enjoyed our time at Ocean Key. The staff was always friendly and helpful. It is a small place, but is nice. There are small issues with cleanliness, but not a big deal. It was generally quiet. The rooms were not large, but was fine for 2 adults and 2 children. The kitchen was tiny, but the microwave/convection oven and the stove-top was sufficient to meet our needs. We ate the majority of meals in the room.

The pool and hot-tub were nice. It was never very busy and was plenty of room for our children to play.

Although it was not directly on the beach, being right across the street from the beach was not an issue. It would have been nice to have been in a room with balcony to have enjoyed the beach view. It was close to a couple of beach playgrounds, one in each direction from the hotel. This was a HUGE plus with our 4 year old.

Their common area / activity area was nice. The staff there was very accomodating.

We would go back to the hotel again, if we decide to go back to Virginia Beach. Unfortunately, during the off-season the dredging done by the city with black-muck with chunks of who-knows-what was spewing into the water not far from the hotel. It grossed my family out and may keep us from returning to the area for a very long time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Loserboy
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Huntington Station, New York
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Bill Mitchell and his staff made our vacation even more enjoyable by their show of hospitality. There were there 24/7 for all of our many questions.We have a time share and trade to go different places all the time and we had such a great time ,we will be back next summer with our family. We loved being at the quieter end of beach. Getting up in the morning and being able to walk to get breakfast was so ideal. Monica F from Long Island.

Room Tip: ask to be high up for the view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tfrascone13
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate you choosing VSA Resorts and look forward to your family’s next vacation in Virginia Beach.
Westminster, MD
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was out 3rd stay at Ocean Key, we love the location on the quieter south end.
We had an oceanside balcony, where we spent many hours enjoying the sights and sounds of the ocean and boardwalk. How lovely to have morning coffee while watching the sun come up!
A big thank you to Bill Mitchell for helping find us an ocean view room. Also many thanks to all the staff. My third morning there I woke up sick and the front desk directed me to walk in care and directions to get there.
The rooms are clean, nicely decorated, with everything you need to prepare meals if you can resist all the really good restaurants within walking distance.
If you are planning to come to Virginia Beach stay here. Thank you Ocean Key Resort.

Room Tip: Opt for a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ljewell
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and mentioned our beautiful Resort, amenities, and wonderful staff including myself. I appreciate you choosing VSA Resorts and look forward to your family’s next vacation in Virginia Beach.
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very nice place. Lots of amenities from the game room to the indoor pool and Jacuzzi. The room was smaller than expected and the only window in the room was off the balcony in the master suite which left others without the access to the view. The walls a thin. We could hear people in the hallway at all hours day and night as well as hear the elevator chime each time it arrived on the floor.

The staff was all very nice and quite accommodating. Even though the lack of windows bothered me a bit, I would stay at the Ocean Key Resort again and would also tell others it is an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify you want a balcony otherwise you may not get one. I do not believe every room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Ocean Key Resort as your vacation destination. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

My wife found a deal online to a one-night stay at Ocean Key. We found the hotel to be a nice one night stay open with great boardwalk access and easy to find for us Carolinians. We checked in late and the check in process went smoothly. Here are my trivial gripes - I had to repair the flush mechanism on the toilet ( a 2 min. Fix) and the TV remote would not work. I did not call for help since it was late.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to fulfill your family vacation needs. We appreciate your kind words about the location at the Ocean Key Resort.
Vienna, Va
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I truly enjoyed my one week stay at Ocean Key Resort. Bill Mitchell and Staff were wonderful. In particular I would like to say Kudos to Theresa at the front desk, she was immensely helpful, full of good ideas, and quick to find the answer an questions and to do any research that we needed to make our trip more enjoyable.

Thank you Theresa!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you enjoyed your vacation with us and mentioned our wonderful staff, especially Theresa.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had gone down to VA beach to surprise my sister for her wedding!! I found a great deal online on a room, but I had to do a timeshare presentation. Which was fine! I am in the market to buy a timeshare anyways, so this was a win win situation! BUT when we arrived and checked in everything was fine. The next morning when I went down to do the presentation, I was told that I couldnt do it because my live in boyfriend was not with me? I was NEVER advised that he had to be with me. To me, it seemed like a scam. They wanted to charge me full rate for the 3 nights. At this point, the staff was very rude, and we left and put our money to better use at a resort with kind and well trained staff. Bill Mitchell, the hotel manager was very kind and helped out alot. I would just suggest that the staff get re educated. I don't like being lied to, let alone right to my face with a bad attitude. It was not very good customer service. I have very good friend that are bussiness owners and when I told them about this, they were amazed! The point is, I was told one thing on the phone and told another when I arrived. Is that how they get you there? We will never know!! This was a lesson very well learned!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Angie91201
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
I apologize for the miscommunication and inconvenience this caused. Thank you for your feedback as it will help us improve our guest’s experience in the future.