“Horrible all around” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #93 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Annapolis, Maryland
“Horrible all around”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I wish we did not stay here. It was nasty. I booked online for a suite that sleeps 6 for my family with teens. I requested an early check in however they did not honor it. Our room was not ready when we arrived and we ended up having to wait for the original time. They don't have a lobby so they told us they would call us when the room was ready. So we had to walk around in the heat until an hour passed and go back to check on it. The girl behind the desk was nice. She had no authority to do anything but informed me that we could only park ONE car in their lot. That was their policy. We had brought two vehicles. It did seem like The Dolphin had ample parking. However, we had to take one car down to 30th street and park in the city pay lot. Although the website said they could provide a roll away cot – The Dolphin did not have any. The room ("sleeps 6") only had 4 bath towels. One of the towels had a stain. They did not have enough bedding so we had to request blankets for the terribly uncomfortable pull out couch. The two beds were only doubles rather than queens that you usually find in hotels. The couch had stains in the cushions. Our toilet clogged three times. The maintenance man was very nice and fixed it. My husband had to stay up in the condo until he got there. After the third time he left a plunger for my husband in case it happened again. The Dolphin had two ice machines. One was broken. The other was empty the two times I went to use it. The view overlooking Virginia Beach and the location near all the action was the only perk. Except that the AC unit on the balcony was shooting hot air in the direction of the two plastic chairs they provided. The one elevator to get down to parking and to the beach was not sufficient to accommodate 10 floors. You had to wait often. The door would close on you if you didn’t hustle getting on/off the elevator. On the hotel property were three (most likely) homeless persons sitting in the small pines on the walkway to the beach. They were kind and harmless but none-the-less a distraction to vacationers. I wish I didn’t try to save money by staying here. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Waysontime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Bunker Hill, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here on 6/29/14-7/1/14. We happened to make an unexpected trip to VA Beach and decided to stay on the boardwalk. I found a great deal on this hotel for $144 per night so we decided to stay here for 3 days and 2 nights. I booked it about 2 weeks before we arrived. I think the regular price is $2++ per night during summer time. When I read the reviews here, I was a bit nervous but decided to give it a try. I am glad we decided to stay here. We had such a great time.

The staffs are very attentive and friendly. However, the parking lots are limited and very not roomy. I had to be very careful when I parked or moved my car. My car actually was scratched but it's no big deal since it's not a big one. The elevator was not slow. I read in some comments here and people complaint about the elevator. We didn't run into that problems at all, probably we weren't there on the weekend. We stayed on the 6th floor. The view from our room was simply stunning. There is also a swimming pool but we didn't check it out or use it. The hotel is right next to the mini park, where there are free entertainment going on during summer so it can be noisy before 10.30pm. But I'm sure noisy atmosphere comes with every stay at all the hotels on VA Beach Boardwalk. The hotel is close to beach access. The gate to access the beach is available from 8am-10pm daily [according to the sign]. The Carnival and fishing pier is just 5 blocks down. There are plenty of restaurants and gift shops near by.

The room is very spacious for the price we paid. We love the room. All rooms[10 floors] are oceanfront view with balcony. We stayed on 605 and it was clean well. There are bedroom [2 double beds with TV and safe box & ironing board], bathroom [big jetted tub with mini hair dryer], counter [with sink, fridge, and microwave], living room [TV and pulled-out sofa bed], and balcony! It's big enough for 5 of us [2 adults and 3 young children]. We didn't use the sofa bed. There are extra bed sheet, pillow, and blanket in the drawers underneath the TV in the living room. The internet was very slow in the living room area but faster in the bedroom. The beds are comfortable for us. We enjoyed sitting and spending time at our balcony so much. Very beautiful view during the sunrise and sunset!

Overall, we had a great stay and definitely will return to this hotel again when we visit VA Beach next time.

Room Tip: We stayed at 605 and it was clean. Rooms on first and second floors probably can be noisy because of...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ModWilliams
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I definitely wouldn't want to spend an entire vacation at this place but we arrived in town earlier than expected and needed a place for one night. Wife went door to door on Atlantic asking their rates. Got this place for half price for one night, way cheaper than anywhere else. Reviews had me scared, but it wasn't too bad. Great balcony view of the ocean. Room wasn't dirty but didn't feel fresh and clean. Couch was stained up and uncomfortable. But we paid $124 and felt like we could have paid more for less somewhere else. If this is the only place you're staying in VaB, you will be disappointed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert L
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

So we booked the rooms about 3 month before the trip. After booking I read the reviews and was so scared i was having nightmares Before the trip. We have two rooms side by side witch is what we requested. The rooms are very spacious and location is amazing. We have three young kids and no issue with room. The rooms are ok for cleanses. They aren't dirty no bugs. Yes the furniture is dated but its clean. The bathroom has sand around the edges but u are at the beach. If you aren't expecting a 5 star resort and will be happy with a clean but dated place to stay. This is the place. Plus staff is wonderful. We plan on coming back bext year. I will say one downfall for me is only one elivator so it makes for slow travels.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Annkatejacobsmom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Let me start off by saying I have written over 20 reviews and this is my first negative review! We stayed here over memorial day weekend for 5 days. The hotel is an all efficiency hotel which was what we were looking for but it was very run down and old. Housekeeping was AWFUL!!!! The first day they made one bed but not the other and that was the extent of their cleaning. After complaining to manager next day room was cleaned much better but by our third day they ran out of bath towels and we had to use pool towels...which weren't any bigger than an over grown hand towel. They didn't do any other cleaning for the rest of the time while we were there. The only positive thing was the receptionist at front desk was super nice and location isn't bad if you want to be where the action is. Other than that I wouldn't recommend this place and I will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank smokymountainlove
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I am not too picky but this is awful! I brought hubby for our anniversary. This place is so gross! Bedroom smells like pee, bug crawling on bed, filthy floors that are seriously crunchy, filthy refrigerator. I talked to front desk who said they are booked and will get us in something different tomorrow. I am typing this now because I cant sleep in this. =( I read reviews and take them lightly but trust when I say this is definitely the worst ever.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank ebag511
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I am far from picky- and if you don't care about cleanliness- stay here because it is a great location.

When we arrived they hadn't emptied the kitchen trash from the last people! The bathroom was upgraded- yet very dirty.

The space of the room was perfect for our family of 5. The kids enjoyed the pool (although very small) and the view from the balcony was beautiful.

Stayed April 2014