“Hotel Very Dirty”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Greenville, Ohio
“Hotel Very Dirty”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The hotel was very dirty, smelly, and outdated. I felt uncomfortable the entire stay and will not be back. The first room we were given was a double bed and we requested a king size. The front desk was good about switching us to a king room. However that room smelled strongly of urine. We bought airfreshner and tried to tolerate it, but could not. After one night we switched rooms and the room we were given was much better. The front desk attendant, Antwein was very nice & helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
dcboo, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
I'm sorry to hear that you were uncomfortable during your stay! Unfortunately, you came to stay with us not long after the area was battered by Hurricane Irene. Our property did sustain some damage as a result of the storm. We truly did our best to address the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible and to return the hotel to normal operating conditions as soon as possible so as not to minimize the inconvenience to our guests who had already made reservations and were, with good reason, still expecting to come stay with us. The hotel was, in fact, closed for several days for repairs and cleaning. I apologize that your original room was not up to par, but I am happy that we were able to accomodate you by switching your room to one that was satisfactory. We do pride ourselves on our customer service, and appreciate all of our guests who stayed so soon after Hurricane Irene for being so supportive, understanding, and patient. Please don't let this incident keep you away! Come and stay with us another time, hopefully not right after a brutal storm, and I'm sure we can meet, and exceed, your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Staff was friendly, room was clean, parking area was nice. The pillows were particularly comfortable. The halls do smell a bit musty, but you can't smell it anywhere else. The continental breakfast was tasty, and, as other people have pointed out, it is a bit crowded in there.
I doubt I'll ever be back to the area again, given that Key West is drastically cheaper and much more desirable, but I would stay at Surfside again.

• Stayed August 2011
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We were traveling on a budget, and this hotel was the most resonably priced hotel with an ocean view/ balcony.

I did not have high expectations for this hotel, and I'm glad I didn't. The elevators were painfully slow. Even though we stayed on the fifth floor, we took the steps every time (even with our luggage!) because I did not have to patience to wait with the 20 other people trying to get on.

Continential breakfast is included. That being said, the "breakfast room" is so small and packed with people that you can barely squeeze in to get a cup of coffee. Needless to say, we ate breakfast out every day.

The rooms were clean enough- no complaints there. I did have to wipe down the balcony railing because it was so sticky. The baloncy floor could have also used a good mopping.

At any rate, you get what you pay for and I was not dissapointed in my stay. We really did not spend a lot of time in the hotel room because there is so much to see and do in the town.

I probably would not stay here again, but would reccommend the hotel to anyone who does not want to spend a lot of money and does not plan on being in the room that much.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This is the third time we've stayed at the Surfside Inn. Each year, the hotel seems to get better. While there are probably fancier hotels to stay in, the Surfside Inn represents the best compromise of value and comfort. The rooms are clean, each of which hosts a oceanfront balcony view, the staff is attentive and friendly, and the free WiFi and breakfast are an added bonus. The on-site parking is ample and easy to navigate. The hotel is located around 13th ST, just south of the fishing pier, and is an easy walk to all of the activities on Atlantic AVE. We'll be back again!

Room Tip: AAA or frequent visitor discount gets you 10% off your stay.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Nice view from the room. Free breakfast with alots of verities to choose from but too bad they don't have eggs and bacon. It'll be a complete breakfast with those. Otherwise it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Rocky River, Ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights in August. The front desk was polite. When we got to our floor, we were overwhelmed by the pungent smell of alcohol. Obviouslly, someone left there garbage in the hallway garbage can and it stunk like hell. Upon entering the room, it was small, but very clean. My wife is a "bedbug" nut and she looked long and hard, but did not see any signs of a bug of any time. The room had a moderately strong deodorizer smell, but was not bad. The beds were fairly comfortable. The bathroom was tiny-the sink was in a separate room from the toilet and tub. The counter top for the sink was very small also.
Like I said, this was not a high end hotel. A person basically sleeps here and that is it. When on the balcony each evening, there was an aromatic smell of burning marijuana coming from another balcony. I was not able to figure out from where. There was a restaurant on the 1st floor that was always busy.
On some better notes, the view of the beach was wonderful. We overlooked the boardwalk. The beach was huge and the water was comfortably warm. The waves were big enough to keep us busy, but not too big to do any significant harm. Both the beach and the boardwalk was kept exceptionally clean by the city.
If you stay here with the intentions of staying at a Taj Mahal-you will be disappointed. If you want beach and a place to flop- this would work wonders for you.
The pool is on the 5th floor and from what I can see, not too pleasant. The pool room had a bad odor to it. We did not go in-preferred the beach anyway
As for Virginia Beach, there is plenty for everyone. It is not crazy like Myrtle Beach, but it is busy. We saw a couple of aircraft carriers, the Navy jets practicing daily. We were even entertained on Friday with the recuits doing PT on the boardwalk. In a nutshell, Virginia Beach was fun.

Room Tip: Rooms were very very clean. We were happy with them.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2011

As a last minute 4 day trip I booked Surfside since it had vacancies and was much cheaper than other hotels directly on the beach - I knew the hotel was old and run down and I did not expect much - room was clean but dumpy looking - bathrooms were partially renovated - beds had ill fitting sheets and had no support - the worst thing was that the air conditioning hardly worked - my husband got a fan from the front desk and they did not even ask why he wanted one - so that tells you something right there. The pool was an ancient indoor pool with what looked like algae on the sides and a" hot tub" that must have broken 10 years ago.

On a good note the breakfast buffet was free and pretty good. Get there early to avoid the crowds. Front desk was friendly and maid service was very good. microwave and small fridge were free- unlike some hotels.
I liked the lobby, which most people would consider retro 70's - it had tropical plants, a rock pond, and tanks with tropical fish and a cool looking eel.

All and all - if you want to be directly on the beach - in a great location, in a clean, cheap but run down hotel - this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family