“Very accomodating and a good value”

Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed here last-minute and were very pleased. We had originally planned to stay at another hotel which did not work out. We walked next door to the Surfside and asked if we could get a room last-minute. They had a room available for the nights we needed and were very willing to help us out. My girlfriend and I were very pleased with the room which had just been redone in December, and we were informed of plans to renovate the entire building by summer. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to VA Beach.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I along with 5 of our friends stayed at the Surfside in May of 2010. While I was a little afraid of some of the reviews I had read, the manager's responses to those complaints made me feel that the hotel was definitely run by a competent and customer service oriented person. Check in was quick and simple, and we really liked that they had their own parking garage. Other places we have stayed in VA Beach had valet, which in theory is nice until you want your car and have to wait. For our stay we had rented two of the hotel's suites. We were very surprised and pleased and how large the rooms were. As we were the only married couple traveling with a bunch of friends, it was greatly appreciated that the bedroom area was separate from the living area. The large fridge and kitchen area was incredibly handy as well.

I am a hotel manager, and when you work in the hospitality industry you can sometimes be jaded to other hotels. I can be a very picky guest! We had no problems at all with our week long stay. The rooms were spotless, a little aged sure, but not every hotel is brand new! Especially when you consider the room rates for this hotel, and all that is included you would be hard pressed to find a better value on the oceanfront.

The restaurant on site (Fishbones) had quality food, friendly service, and good prices. It was a godsend for us, after a 7 hour trip to not have to leave for dinner after checking in. The breakfast in the morning was nice as well. The breakfast room attendant did a great job keeping things stocked and clean, and there was a nice variety especially for a continental!

Every encounter we had with the staff was pleasant and they answered any and all questions we had with a smile. The Lobby is large and different from the typical "shoe box" hotels you see pretty much every where else.

The gift shop on site was a nice surprise as well. During our stay it was pretty breezy so we had an impromptu kite flying day, thanks to the kites for sale there.

All in all the Surfside may not be the newest hotel on the beach, but they have a seasoned staff that knows what they are doing. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and relaxed - and isn't that the point of vacation?!

Just a few days ago I booked our reservations for June of this year, after glancing at some other options, my husband and I fully agreed, Just book at the Surfside again, can't beat the value and we know we will be treated well there!!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly!! Do not book online. When you speak to their staff there, they at times had...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank JVaow
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We had a wonderful time at the Surfside. It's not a luxury hotel, but that's not what you are paying for. Very reasonably priced ($162 in August) for a 2-Diamond hotel. I checked many, many hotels in VA Beach and they were far more expensive for peak season.

The room was average sized. Beds very comfortable. Fridge and microwave both came in handy. It was clean except for a bit of sand, but come on, you are at the BEACH! Parking is very convienent and free! There is a small store in the back of the hotel just before the door leading out to the beach that sells towels, boogie boards, bikes for rent, and drinks (including beer/wine).

The elevator was very slow. I think that was our only issue/complaint. We didn't use the pool since the weather was gorgeous during out stay and we were at the beach all day.

We LOVED the balcony overlooking the boardwalk and beach. On some summer nights, they have fireworks over the water and my husband and I were able to share some bubbly while watching the fireworks from our balcony! It was fun to "people watch" from the balcony, as well. We also loved walking out the door of the hotel and being steps from the beach. We were like two kids playing in the waves. We did the seafood buffet on our last night and enjoyed it very much. It is on the expensive side, but not so bad for a tourist area and being in a hotel. The food was very good at the buffet. We didn't try the breakfast as we were told about Doc Taylors the first morning and we got hooked on that restaurant for the rest of our breakfasts. The breakfast room did seem crowded when we passed it. Coffee and Juices in lobby all day was a nice touch.

The reception staff were awesome and very helpful! Gave directions and helpful tips. Check in and check out were a breeze.

We will definately be back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travel02886
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Stayed here for two nights in late September. It was off season in the middle of the week and the hotel was less than half full. The room was very clean and all rooms overlooked the beach. The bed was comfortable and ac unit worked fine. No complaints. There was a continental breakfast with fresh waffles. Good location and near many good restaurants. Great price -- $89 a night which is hard to beat. The front desk was very friendly and they would always greet you when you went by. Good juice and coffee bar (free) in the lobby. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Ralph1948
Reviewed 1 October 2011

First time here and will definitely return. From the courtesy of the front staff to the amenities of the hotel and the cleanliness of the room, you couldn't do better. All oceanfront rooms with private balcony make this one of the more welcome places in Va. Beach.

Room Tip: All rooms face ocean so you can't go wrong
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 19 September 2011

During peak season (August) I planned a last minute Friday night stay in Va Beach. While researching hotels, I found there was not much available under $350. I finally came across the Surside Oceanfront Inn & Suites for a very reasonable price ($170). I was skepitcal because of many of the reviews I saw. We were down to the wire and I decided to go ahead & book it, as we had a photo shoot with our photographer Friday evening on the beach and we needed somewhere to stay. When we arrived, we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We went to our room on the first floor (one floor below lobby level). The room was super tiny and outdated, but for the price and the view it was just right. After our photo shoot, we came back to the room and used the microwave to heat up food for our 3 & 1 year old. We squeezed the pack and play in the only spot it would fit, put the 3 year old in one of the beds, the 1 year old in his pack and play, turned out the lights and with a bottle of wine and some board games - my husband and I sat on the balcony overlooking the beach and boardwalk and watched people go by. One thing to note - we left our 3 yr olds bear & lion animals that he sleeps with on the bed by mistake. When we got to the OBX the next day, went to put him to bed for the evening and couldn't find the bear/lion he was devestated. I made up a story about how they had to stay at Va Beach for whatever reason, put him down for the night & immediately called the hotel. They were so nice and understanding and they tracked down his animals. I received them by COD within a few days. AWESOME! A+ in my book just for that alone. :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AmesnBru
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My fiancé decided to take me to Virginia Beach for a concert and the beach :).
The price was decent for 2 nights, when we got there the check in was pretty fast. But when we got the room I notice it was dirty. There was still sand on the floor, there crumbs on the table. I told my fiance that we should switch rooms but him being a little shy said no. So we decided to wipe the table and went to our concert. That night when we came back we notice that there were bugs in the room I figure it out, it was because of being so close the the beach. Then we saw a moth, that was the last straw for me.

After not seeing the moth after an hour or so we just went to sleep the phone was greasy and so was the door knobs and the remote control. The next day we went to breakfast and when we came back the bed was made, but they didn't vacuum or wiped the table. The moth ended dying that night it ended up on top of the safe box, the cleaning person didn't take it away either.

We were not really happy during our stay but it was cheap so we didn't expect much. We did not return to this hotel, I would recommend it for the parking lot and being so close the beach.

If you are a germ freak, do not stay here.

Room Tip: Take some bleach wipes just in case!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maya C
dcboo, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the state of the room you were checked in to - I wish you had alerted the Front Desk so that we could have addressed the situation while you were still in house. We can't make your stay better if we don't know there's a problem! We have pest control specialist contracted for regular inspection and preventative measures to eliminate insect issues. Because all of our rooms have oceanfront balconies, however, insects can sometimes sneak in with guests as they open and close the balcony doors. Again - I wish you would have let us know while you were with us so we would have had the chance to make your stay better! Please come stay with us again - we'd love the chance to exceed your expectations!