“Decent stay but not impressed”

Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Republic, Maryland
“Decent stay but not impressed”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Nice location, pretty good price, room was pretty large and clean. However, the hotel elevators and hallways seemed pretty dirty, the pool area could use a serious makeover, and there is no hot tub. Also, the breakfast was only okay - it lacked protein unless you count the cream cheese or milk.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqueline C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Latrobe
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Pros-Clean, nice decor, friendly staff, great location. Cons-breakfast area too small.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
District Heights, Maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Our stay at the Surfside Inn was one of the best since we've been visiting Virginia Beach. We had the pleasure of enjoying the Flag Football Beach tournament from the comfort of our balcony and bed since the games were directly below our room. Too bad the NFL doesn't play on sand. LOL. But overall the experience was amazing. We also enjoyed the festivities of Latin Fest. Although the streets were overcrowded, coming back to our room made it all worthwhile. We will become regular guests at the Surfside Inn from this point on.

Room Tip: The oceanfront suites are the best choice if you like spacious rooms!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Albany, Ohio
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My family took booked a room at Surfside June 6-11 and we really liked the hotel. Yes, it is older and could use some updating and not as fancy as some of the more expensive hotels but the room was clean, the staff very friendly and helpful and the price was good. The indoor pool was nice and the breakfast was good, again nothing fancy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sabrina S
Beford
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Surfside May 18-20 with our four young grandbabies. The accomodations were excellent; suite size very roomy. The location is perfect, and the views from our balcony were awesome. Plenty to do with four children aged 4 to 12. The indoor pool is very nice and clean. Breakfast every morning was a nice bonus. We will definately be staying there again and again. Thank you!!

Room Tip: We had a corner suite; very large, full sized refrigerator...lots of sunny light!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I traveled to VA Beach over Memorial day weekend for a wedding - our average stay could have something to do with the packed hotel and beaches. The room was clean upon arrival but in need of serious updating! Bed an pillow a little on the hard side for my liking. The room. Ext to us was crammed with loud college kids. We got a wonderful 2am wake up call to the classic scream and ban on the wall gimmick. Our room faced the beach and the view was spectacular! However the curtains in our room didn't touch the ground or go all the way to the wall so we were woken up bright and early every morning to the sun beaming in the room! The location of the hotel is toward the end of te strip - nothing great right around it but we didn't mind getting out and walking so we enjoyed a bit less crowded beach front during the crazy rush of the holiday.

Overall I recommend the hotel if you want to stay in a mid range budget - next time we woukd probably stay on the north end I the strip closer to thirties and forties blocks.

• Stayed May 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Overall the hotel is decent for a weekend visit. Our room was nice and the view awesome - you can wake up in the morning and see the ocean/sunrise through the windows. The room had enough comfortable space for two of us - not sure how a family of four would feel though. The staff were friendly, coffee in the lobby ran out, I mentioned it and it was immediately taken care of. I asked what time the sunrise was and they did try on the computer and their smart phones to look it up but couldn't find it. I found it on my own phone by typing in Sunrise in Virginia Beach - it came right up (just a tip for the staff) overall they were good. The reason for the title of this review is due to the following which happened the weekend of May 18-20 - Friday night, there was a bug crawling on my bed, squished it and let the matter go - you might get one here and there in your travels. The second night, my mother found a hair on her bed and on the hair were three nits (lice eggs) - she wrapped it in some paper and I took it down to the front desk - asked for the manager. There was no manager. Ok, I thought, they'll be here in the morning. No, the manager will not be here in the morning but will call in. ???? A hotel without a manager on a weekend when most, if not all, the rooms are booked?? The folks at the front desk, in the morning, told me it was three pieces of lint - they opened the package - the three hard dark colored dots clinging to the hair were now three pieces of smooth rectangular (what appeared to be) lint. The clerk behind the desk (Julie) stated that in fact our room had not been cleaned on Saturday at all - no one in housekeeping had been in our room. We had a Do Not Disturb Sign on our Door was told to me. We didn't (but the room to our right did) and we could not find a sign in our room to use even if we wanted to. My mother is over 80 yrs. old and had quite a bit of trash each day - tell me how the room was cleaned (trash emptied-beds made-desks cleaned off) if no one entered the room to clean it? We weren't getting anywhere at the hotel so off we went for home to await the manager's call. I ended up calling the hotel on Monday and spoke with a manager (Merssate sp?) She also told me the room was never cleaned while we were there - I mentioned a ghost must have cleaned it then. She insisted that no one cleaned it and we had the Do Not Disturb Sign on the door (it was the next room over that had the sign) The manager called the General Manager - I waited about two hours and received a call back. Was told that there would be no refund of one night - no discount (1/2 night) nothing (this would have worked had she stopped there) but she continued with yet again telling me it was lint on the hair not lice eggs and no one was in our room due to the sign on the door. I told her that the egg/hair thing could go on for years with the back and forth - what got me the most was a representative of the hotel basically calling a customer of their's a liar. I told her that also - that's more the reason for this review than the bugs - each room is marked down on a report sheet that it was cleaned or not - ours was not marked as being cleaned - did they ever think that their employee missed marking it down? Guess not. If they did not wish to refund the night or give some discount for my mother not being able to sleep well they could have said that and left it at that - but they kept telling me I was wrong - (the customer) Here's a tip - take a camera and document your room! Another tip - don't even bother going to this place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle H
JWeihert, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
I apologize that you were unsatisfied with the service you received during your stay! We do our best to ensure that our guests' needs and expectations are exceeded. Unfortunately, when you came down Saturday night / Sunday morning at 3:00 AM, there was no manager on duty and while she was not expected in on Sunday, I apologize that the Front Desk Clerk failed to inform you that a Supervisor would be in first thing in the morning. Because we were unable to offer to move your room due to a sold out night, the Front Desk Clerk offered to have your linens changed and your beds remade, which you refused. Unfortunately, there was little else we could offer at the time. Sunday morning, Julie, our Guest Services Supervisor, opened the packet and looked at its contents for the first time. When you spoke to Julie regarding the situation, you were adamant that the hair in question belonged to a member of our housekeeping staff who had left it behind when she cleaned your room earlier that day. Despite the fact that the color of the hair in question (greyish white) matches no one on our staff, Julie pulled the housekeeping reports from the previous day to see who had cleaned your room. It was reported as a Do Not Disturb room. Further investigation was done following your departure because of your insistence, and as a result we are reevaluating our procedure and policy for reporting Do Not Disturb rooms accurately, and thank you for bringing this possible inefficiency to our attention. Though we are not entomologists ourselves, most of us are parents and therefore pretty well informed about head lice by our local health departments through our public schools. My understanding has always been that head lice nits are white to yellow in color and smaller than 1 millimeter in length, which would require a magnifying glass to definitively identify. I apologize that you feel as though we were "calling a customer of [ours] a liar," and would like to take this opportunity to assure you that we simply ment to offer the most assistance we could and to put your mind at ease and free you from undue worry regarding the effectiveness of our housekeeping staff. Should you find yourself in Virginia Beach in the future, I would love the opportunity to serve you again and show you that all members of our staff - entry level through upper management - are sincerely committed to our guests and their satisfaction.