“for a beach hotel, this hotel was good !!!”

Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Our two day stay at the Surfside, was completely enjoyable. For a beach hotel, this establishment hits the spot. If you're searching for a reasonably priced and efficiently run hotel, with slightly above average accommendations, this is the place. If you're looking for the Ritz-Carlton type hotel, this is not it. Surfside is a family-oriented establishment with a friendly staff. It is situated in a good part of the strip. On my own scale of 1 to 10, I rate this hotel at a 7 to 8. Oh, the little restaurant, downstairs, known as Fishbones, is a great place to start your day.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed 7 August 2009

We go to the beach every summer and this summer decided to try a new hotel.Based only on reviews we read here we went with the surfside.We got a better deal on our room by calling the hotel and using our aaa discount.We had a king room(809) and it was a nice size,we had no problems with anything not working,and it was really clean.There is onsite parking and while the spots are kinda small as long as you do not have a huge truck you should be fine.Overall we enjoyed it so much that we ended up adding a extra day on to our trip cause we didnt want to leave.The staff were all friendly and helpful and next year we will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pgh_smokahontas
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Overall, our experience at the the Surfside Inn was great! I didn't search around for the best price but it was ok. We really loved having a balcony facing the ocean!! During the evenings, we would break out a six pack and some wings and enjoy the view. Our room was comfortable and the A/C was nice and cold. We plan to go back and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Right on the beach. Beautiful oceanfront view. Friendly Staff. Clean room. Now for the downside...AC didn't work, reported to front dest, repair man came immediately, did something to AC unit but it still didn't work so they brought us a fan. I asked another couple on the beach if their room got cool enough and the answer was no. They actually went to Walmart themselves and bought a fan for their room. We were told the AC units didn't work with Freon, it was a cold water cooling system??? I asked a front desk person about the AC units not cooling properly and she gave some vague answer and started looking in the back room for a fan. I took it, 2 fans in the room now and still hot. We didn't switch rooms because we weren't offered a switch, and we figured it would be the same in any of the rooms if it was one with the old AC system so we toughed it out. We are usually just in the room for showers and sleep but it sure made it tough to sleep. When checking out, I was NOT asked about my stay, so I volunteered my thoughts on the Air Conditioning not working. Had a different front desk girl and I asked point blank if this hotel had problems with the Air Conditioning and she admitted they did and they were working on it. She said she was sorry about that but offered no compensation of any kind. The parking garage is extremely tight. I noticed a small sign on the front desk about giving the hotel a review on tripadvisor and getting a discount on your next stay. I doubt I would get a discount for this review... CLEAN, SMALL, HOT ROOM WITH A FABULOUS OCEANFRONT VIEW AND EXTREMELY TIGHT PARKING GARAGE.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
sales_manager, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2009

We were having a heat wave during this guest stay. The A/C was having a hard time keeping up. The heat index was 113. This area is not accustom to that type of heat. The average temperature for August in Va Beach is mid 80's. I am very sorry this guest was uncomfortable. After the season we are going to try to remedy the situation so that if we have another heat wave next year we will be able to handle it better. I didn't realize it was that bad. I am very sorry this happened to this family. It was never brought to my attention. I staff knows to bring any complains to my attention but this one slipped by.

Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed at the Surfside Inn for six nights in July '09. The customer service was excellent. All staff from desk receptionists to housekeeping to pool attendants was very helpful and extremely friendly and hospitable. In fact, one of the desk receptionists went out of her way on several occasions to ask how we were enjoying our stay. The amenities at the Surfside more than suffice. The rooms, although a little small in area (we had the two Queen beds), are very clean and well-kept. The outside deck overlooking the beach offers a great view of the beach and ocean (we were on the sixth floor). Also, all rooms face the beach. The indoor pool is nice and the outside deck off the pool area has lounge chairs.

All this for a reasonable price means that we definitely would return to the Surfside!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Surfside Oceanfront Inn and Suites is not a bad resort, but I had some problems at check in. I thought I had reserved a room with 2 queens and a sofabed through Expedia. We were traveling with our two nearly adult children and we needed the extra bed. At registration I was told "Expedia only offers the 2 queens". It was news to me. I would not have booked a room with just 2 queens. So I asked if we could have one of the rooms with a sofa bed, and was told "yes, for another $50/night". That didn't seem right to me, so instead I asked for a roll away bed. I was assured it would be sent up to the room, but we never got it. We also asked for extra towels and they were never sent up either. Overall, the room was clean if shabby, and the beds were comfortable. But I still think we didn't get the room I reserved. The entire hotel is in need of updating, peeling wallpaper, carpets that need to be replaced. The location is excellent, right on the beach. Hotel staff were friendly enough, but none of the people at the registration desk seemed knowledgeable about the VA Beach area. Don't think I'd stay here again.

sales_manager, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2009

She made her reservation with Expedia. She paid Expedia. She got her confirmation from Expedia. Her confirmation said a standard room with two queen beds. When she read that she should have called Expedia. The staff here only received the same comfirmation that she received and took the information from there. Though my clerks are often insightful they can not know what is happening in a room or house or on the internet when they are not involved. All my clerks live in Va Beach so I am not sure what questions she asked them. I would appreciate her letting me know so that I can enlighten them on the proper answer.

Reviewed 16 July 2009

It was not Marriot and it was old, but our stay was certainly pleasant. Nothing to complain about. The bathrooms were clean. Beds were comfy and cozy. Most important my kids were happy, which was the most important thing for me.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family