“Perfect Place to Stay for VA Beach Marathon”

Royal Clipper Inn and Suites
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reston, Virginia
“Perfect Place to Stay for VA Beach Marathon”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for the VA Beach Marathon (March 2014), and was extraordinarily pleased. Now, it being March, I wasn't looking for a nice pool or anything like that... I was looking for a clean room that was close to the start and finish of the race... The check-in went very smooth, the room actually had 2 bedrooms, and the bathroom, while small, was clean. That said, the reason I rated this hotel 5-stars was NOT because it is a 5-star resort (it isn't the Ritz), but rather the helpful nature of the staff. Given that it was March and a slow period, and that my marathon running pace is far from fast, i was definitely not going to make it back to the room by the 11am check-out time. I asked the front desk while checking in if I could leave my car in the parking lot after check-out (and pick it up around 4pm once I was done with race), and the receptionist said "well, absolutely... in fact, I'll just code your room key so it works until 6pm tomorrow, so you can shower and rest before driving home"... that type of customer service is outstanding - I've done literally 100s of races and that (such a late check-out) has never happened before. I will definitely be staying at the Royal Clipper the next time I am in VA Beach, and certainly for follow-on VA Beach marathons. Oh yeah, it is about 3 blocks from the start/finish area, so it was nice to leave the room at 8:20 for an 8:30 race start.

Room Tip: Perfect for VA Beach Marathon (especially if you are slow!)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Julie T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Clipper Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations! It is our pleasure to help our guests anytime we are able to accommodate their requests. We look forward to seeing you again. Your intention to return is the highest praise we can recieve. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Very pleasant reception staff when arrived. Older place, very low ceilings but Ok in general. Dead roach in ice bucket bad enough, but "good" explanation; single ice machine for entire facility had been non-functional for quite a while due to cold weather. Front desk says it was the cold, some time ago. Not even a "sorry" or we are working on fixing it. Just silence. Said it was an important feature. Silence. Not going back. Not for $100+ even in early March.

Room Tip: Check for dead roaches and see if one ice machine is ever fixed
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JeanPaul2222
I apologize for the problems that you encountered during your stay. I appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention. We will be addressing these issues and using this as an opportunity to improve our customer service and housekeeping. The ice machine has since been serviced and I am sorry for the imposition that it caused during your stay. I hope that this experience does not keep you from giving us a future opportunity to correct this impression of our property.
Virginia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stay here every time I run the Shamrock Marathon in March. So I'm not interested in the pool, or oceanfront, and don't need an elevator. But I do want a place to be clean. I believe they just remodeled this place in 2013 and I found our efficiency suite to be very nice. We only had 3 people staying in it (as 2 members of my family were sick and couldn't come.)

It was a good size for 3 people. I'm not sure our family of 5 would have been as comfortable, as we would have had to use the pull-out sofa, but for a weekend we would have managed.

It's a good location if you're running in the marathon weekend events and it costs about half of the oceanfront hotels. Although I miss the days before the marathon got big when this hotel was $40/night. Dante at the front desk was especially kind.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
It’s such a compliment that you return each year. We appreciate all our guests, but truly enjoy the opportunity that our repeat guests give us to get to know them and to become a part of their Virginia Beach memories.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Got to experience this hotel in mid-March for a half-marathon. In all honestly, I "ended up" with a room at the Royal Clipper Inn because all of the other hotels in the area were completely booked. Thousands of other runners had planned early and booked rooms well in advance. There were 3 of us traveling, so I planned to get a room with two beds and 2 of us would just share a bed. The price was right--$139.00. When we arrived, the room was immaculate! And not only that, but it was a suite...the front room had a double bed, a pull out couch, a tv, and a kitchenette with stove, microwave and pots and pans. The second room was the second bedroom with a double bed and TV. Since this was the only hotel with vacancy, I was a little worried...but those fears were quickly put to rest. The staff was friendly and efficient. The room was truly spotless. Old furnishings but clean. And we comfortably slept-all three of us had our own bed!! Even the linens for the pullout couch were obviously freshly cleaned. Also, normally checkout is 11am. But since the marathon festivities were not going to end until 12-1pm, the hotel extended check out hours until 1:30pm if you just asked them. That was icing on the cake! I have no idea what it is like during prime season--but we had a thoroughly positive experience with the Royal Clipper. Thank you!

Room Tip: rooms on the back side of the hotel do not appear to be accessible by elevator, unless we missed it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Julie T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Clipper Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
We are so pleased that you “ended up” as our guest! Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We do our best to provide clean, comfortable, affordable accommodations - with a smile. It brightens our day to hear that we succeeded! Hopefully we top the list as your place to stay for next year’s marathon run.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was in town for a course, and arrived on an evening that was very busy in town. The extreme party noise could not be helped, but the following definitely could: I arrived in my room (2/5 for presentation, kinda shabby) and had to go to the bathroom. I found a paper sleeve on it that said "sanitized for your protection" Good! until i took off the paper and saw that the seat had NOT been either cleaned or sanitized! EWWW. So i called the front desk and they moved me to another room. The toilet was clean (thankfully, which made me feel safer about my bed) but its flushing capability was... not that great. Luckily there was only some toilet paper that needed to go but anyway so i called the front desk again and somebody came up. They had seen the other room but thought i was talking about the floor so already thought i was a moron, and then tried to teach me how to flush a toilet instead. Still didn't work.
I had only booked one night, but wanted to stay in Virginia Beach another night, thankfully this one was fully booked. I found another hotel online that was "econo-mical" but MUCH MUCH better!! and might i add, only $10 more a night.
oh yeah and the elevator smelled like pee. But it was a party night so that may be why...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy J
London, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is the perfect Hotel , not expensive, a stones throw from the beach.
Clean, just right for people who want a good room for a good price.
Flat screen TV's Laundry
Customer oriented Hotel manager very friendly and most accommodating
No restaurant or fitness center, but plenty of eating places within walking distances.
I recommend the Belvedere cafe across the street for breakfast, you will marvel at the cooks there
making everything from scratch.
North end Pizza just 100 feet from the Royal Clipper for everything from Pizza Subs Pasta and Ice cream, perfect for the budget
Take a stroll on the beach to the Neptune statue less than a quarter mile , rent a bike, go for a swim in the ocean.
Lots to do in Virginia Beach

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Daniel W
Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My girlfriends and I have stayed at the Royal Clipper twice (2012 & 2013) during the Sea Glass Festival at the VA Beach Convention Center. It is perfect for a weekend stay when we are out and about during the day and use the room just for sleeping, showering and relaxing with a glass of wine in front of the TV at night. The rooms are very clean and well-appointed, and the beds are extremely comfortable (the furniture was new in 2013). We had free wifi, microwave and small refrigerator in our room. The only down side is that the bathroom is very small (tub and toilet and just enough space left over for a bath mat). But the sink area is separate, and it's very spacious, with a vanity that has lots of drawers and storage space under the sink. Location is great, just across Atlantic Street from the ocean and there is a great restaurant and a good breakfast diner just steps from the hotel. if you don't need all the bells and whistles of the hotel chains, and you just want a clean comfortable place with friendly staff at a reasonable price, try the Royal Clipper. NOTE that it is not open in the winter off-season, it shuts down in mid-October and opens back up in the spring..

Room Tip: Some rooms face the ocean side (but you can't really see the ocean because there is a big Sherat...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends