“Worst experience I have had! Don't recommend!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Royal Clipper Inn and Suites
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Danville
“Worst experience I have had! Don't recommend!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Received this "2 star" "oceanfront" hotel on hotwire. Advertised as an ocean front hotel with swimming pool on hotwire add. This is the only hotel that has the pool closed in Virginia beach. It was not ocean front at all, you have to cross the street to get there. There are 5 floors, and you have to use the elevator which shakes and takes 2 whole minutes to even make ot to the 5th floor. all the appliances were covered in rust, which is the first thing you see when you pull up in the laundry/snack room.
now for the room:
you can't close the bathroom door,
the bedspread was covered in stains and what looked like blood, there is no blanket on the bed either just a thin sheet.
the room service cleaned every room on our floor in under 15 minutes and there were 10 rooms on it. there is no way they changed the sheets and cleaned the toilet, which was obvious in our room.

the schooner inn is only rated a one star, we rode down to it and it should be a 4 star compared to the royal clipper!

never again!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank DanielleF2832
Julie T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Clipper Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
I apologize for the difficulties that you encountered during your stay. We recommend that bookings, whenever possible, be made directly with the hotel so as to avoid misinformation. We suggest that all inquiries related to the property and its amenities be verified directly with the hotel. We cannot be responsible for third party booking sites. We have contacted them regarding the misinformation that they had given. Our property is not oceanfront and we do not advertise it as such. As for the room, please report any unsatisfactory findings to the front desk immediately. There was no record that this was reported. Reporting the problem immediately gives us the opportunity to correct it, and to make your stay more enjoyable. Unfortunately, the outdoor washer and dryer have been subjected to the salt air and we have input an order to have them replaced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here for the Shamrock Marathon. (I ran the half and my wife ran the full.) The hotel was nicer than I expected given the price. The location was perfect for the races too.

The best part was the staff let us stay late for check out so my wife could shower and rest a bit before heading back home! That was a real life saver!

Parking is very limited, but that's the only drawback I saw.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Clipper Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
We try to anticipate our guests’ needs and do our best to accommodate them. I am glad to hear that we succeeded and that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we top the list as your place to stay In Virginia Beach!
Sandston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

the place is CLEAN and the staff is excellent and very helpful. GREAT TIME.
GREAT STAFF
GREAT PLACE
CLEAN
I enjoyed my stay and the room was clean and the staff was great and very helpful. the coffee was great and they made it a pleasure to stay there. I would go there AGAIN in a heart beat.
recommend to your friends and family---you wont regret it. worth every penny

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hearing that you will return and also recommend us to your friends and family is such a wonderful compliment. Thank you so much! We appreciate your glowing review.
Mechanicsville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the Shamrock Marathon and Half Marathon over St. Patrick's Day weekend. What a very pleasant surprise and great place to stay! The staff was friendly, welcoming and made check in a breeze. The room was small, but recently renovated and updated and very, very clean. The bed slept well too! From the outside, the hotel doesn't look like much and I came into my reservation with low expectations, particularly after reading some of the reviews here. We did not have any of the problems mentioned in other reviews.The exterior is a little dated, but the inside is all up to date. We were fortunate enough to have a room facing the oceanfront which was great! The location is great too, right in the heart of Atlantic Avenue. If you're staying here for Shamrock, any J&A Racing events or the Rock and Roll Half, then the location is pretty close to perfect, just a few blocks from the start and finish. The staff was great too, particularly Dante! He was so welcoming and friendly. Overall, Royal Clipper is clean, cozy, comfortable and a great deal with great staff.

Room Tip: Get an ocean facing room and try to park in the front parking lot. The back parking lot is very tigh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing great customer service and clean, affordable accommodations. Thank you for your upbeat review of our property. We hope to see you again soon!
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for the VA Beach Marathon (March 2014), and was extraordinarily pleased. Now, it being March, I wasn't looking for a nice pool or anything like that... I was looking for a clean room that was close to the start and finish of the race... The check-in went very smooth, the room actually had 2 bedrooms, and the bathroom, while small, was clean. That said, the reason I rated this hotel 5-stars was NOT because it is a 5-star resort (it isn't the Ritz), but rather the helpful nature of the staff. Given that it was March and a slow period, and that my marathon running pace is far from fast, i was definitely not going to make it back to the room by the 11am check-out time. I asked the front desk while checking in if I could leave my car in the parking lot after check-out (and pick it up around 4pm once I was done with race), and the receptionist said "well, absolutely... in fact, I'll just code your room key so it works until 6pm tomorrow, so you can shower and rest before driving home"... that type of customer service is outstanding - I've done literally 100s of races and that (such a late check-out) has never happened before. I will definitely be staying at the Royal Clipper the next time I am in VA Beach, and certainly for follow-on VA Beach marathons. Oh yeah, it is about 3 blocks from the start/finish area, so it was nice to leave the room at 8:20 for an 8:30 race start.

Room Tip: Perfect for VA Beach Marathon (especially if you are slow!)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Clipper Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations! It is our pleasure to help our guests anytime we are able to accommodate their requests. We look forward to seeing you again. Your intention to return is the highest praise we can recieve. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Very pleasant reception staff when arrived. Older place, very low ceilings but Ok in general. Dead roach in ice bucket bad enough, but "good" explanation; single ice machine for entire facility had been non-functional for quite a while due to cold weather. Front desk says it was the cold, some time ago. Not even a "sorry" or we are working on fixing it. Just silence. Said it was an important feature. Silence. Not going back. Not for $100+ even in early March.

Room Tip: Check for dead roaches and see if one ice machine is ever fixed
1 Thank JeanPaul2222
I apologize for the problems that you encountered during your stay. I appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention. We will be addressing these issues and using this as an opportunity to improve our customer service and housekeeping. The ice machine has since been serviced and I am sorry for the imposition that it caused during your stay. I hope that this experience does not keep you from giving us a future opportunity to correct this impression of our property.
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stay here every time I run the Shamrock Marathon in March. So I'm not interested in the pool, or oceanfront, and don't need an elevator. But I do want a place to be clean. I believe they just remodeled this place in 2013 and I found our efficiency suite to be very nice. We only had 3 people staying in it (as 2 members of my family were sick and couldn't come.)

It was a good size for 3 people. I'm not sure our family of 5 would have been as comfortable, as we would have had to use the pull-out sofa, but for a weekend we would have managed.

It's a good location if you're running in the marathon weekend events and it costs about half of the oceanfront hotels. Although I miss the days before the marathon got big when this hotel was $40/night. Dante at the front desk was especially kind.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
It’s such a compliment that you return each year. We appreciate all our guests, but truly enjoy the opportunity that our repeat guests give us to get to know them and to become a part of their Virginia Beach memories.