“Pleasantly Surprised; Expected "meh"!”

Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Normally, when we travel (which isn't all that often to begin with), we have to spend a little more because we are a family of 6. We usually need a suite or at least an adjoining room. This time, only 4 of us made the trip, and we had to do a little cost cutting. So we picked the Sandcastle with a double-queen ocean-front room.

As others have said, the rooms are a little on the small side, but we are doing alright navigating around one another just fine. Check-in and parking were easy after a 10-hour drive, and the room was very neatly prepared and clean on check-in. I DID notice that although the air conditioner was maxed out, the room a little on the warm, humid side. I figured it was simply because this is an older hotel that has been renovated and the AC units are NOT central air. The first night's sleep was a little toasty. The next day, the battery in our smoke detector died so it started chirping. I called down to the desk about that and also mentioned the AC. Within 5 minutes, two guys were in our room assessing the situations. We left them as we went to dinner. When we got back, both issues were fixed perfectly and our room was a cool 68 degrees. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at how quick and perfect they resolved the issue, and needless to say again, last night's sleep was awesome.

We are on the 4th floor and enjoying the ocean-front view, the boardwalk, and the close proximity to the pier. Today, I tried the small fitness center rather than running the boardwalk. It is very small, but all the equipment worked well, and I was the only person in there (which was nice).

A lot of people complain about the breakfast buffet. If you've ever eaten cafeteria/buffet style breakfasts, it is fine. It's not like going to Bob Evans, but it's more than fine. Everything tasted a-okay.

I like having a convenience store and gift shop on site, but I always seem to need something. Housekeeping is on the ball, and our room is clean before we come in for lunch every day. Couldn't ask for more.

About the only complaint I have is that the elevators are slllloooooooowwww being an older hotel. If that is the worst I have to complain about then I have nothing to complain about.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mitch H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,456)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

First off I've never written a review and am not one to complain, but usually roll with the punches. Our stay was booked last September as they only have one 3 room suite and I wanted to ensure that my family would have plenty of space for ourselves. Travel down from our area was a breeze with no traffic issues so I was in a great mood when we arrived at 4:30 pm and attempted to check in well after the advertised 3:00 check in time. To our dismay the room was still in the process of being cleaned and we were unable to check in and enjoy the beach for the early part of the evening(apparently 7 maids called in sick). The cost for that night alone was in the upper $300's and I feel that for that price the room could at least be ready for our arrival. Well I took it in stride and the manager on duty at that time did offer a 10% discount for the night and to allow us to leave our luggage in their office while we walked the boardwalk. It was almost 5:45 by the time the room was ready, but we made the best of it. The next glitch would have to be that 1 of the 2 elevators mainly designated for the guests was down from our arrival until mid-day Thursday. They did have an additional service elevator which serviced floors 1-7 located to far right of lobby, but this was slow and noisy at best. The other elevator that was working was obviously always overloaded and wait times were some times several minutes. The elevator issue leads into my next complaint. I was using the stairwell located next to the 2 elevators and between 2 of the floors the maintenance team that was working on the elevator had apparently spilled hydraulic fluid on stairwell and did not clean it up and I quite painfully did a side plant on the landing as it was like slipping on ice. I am thankful that it ended up happening to me instead of my wife, or the mom with 2 young children behind us, but regretted it the next day as I had to visit the local ER for intense shoulder pain. The response when I went to tell the front desk about the issue was pathetic at best. I gave them the location and replay of the incident and they said they were sending up someone, which they did but then that person left the area and I went up to check to verify that it was going to be cleaned up. To my surprise there was no employee near location and I stayed there, place a wet floor sign, and guarded the area so that no other guest would potentially fall. My wife in the meantime filled out an incident report. I grabbed a maintenance man and told him he needed to stay and he stated it was oil form elevator repair attempt. I then went back down to front desk and asked to speak to manager. Jason(manager on duty at time) came to greet me and I told him story and told him if I were manager I would want to see the issue as he did not initially seem interested in looking at the scene. I took him to area and he acknowledged how slippery the stairwell was. I must add at no time did they ask if I needed medical attention. To make a long story even longer I went to ER next morning and all appeared to be well, of course besides for this review the hotel or Jason would not know because the management team never followed up on incident to check on my condition. On the flipside Edith and her housekeeping team were excellent in their performance and I hope their working conditions improve. Tamara(8 yrs hotel experience) and Alivia(2 weeks of hotel experience) were both great and accommodating whenever I interacted with them and should be commended on their performance. The entire front desk crew was helpful especially when I had to get my room key reset numerous times. The pool and breakfast buffet were nice as in past years. The biggest concern would be the "Management" and their either lack of knowledge or caring attitude. You need to take into account that there are many families that save all year and spend a lot of money to stay at your hotel and you need to step up and realize you are in the "hospitality" business and appreciate that these people chose to stay with you, don't take for granted what you have and remember people are paying for a vacation and not wasting time waiting on elevators, room cleaning, and tending to injuries obtained through negligence on your part. For those who have stayed this long through my review I Thank You as you and your family deserve a better vacation stay then this hotel. I am sure that the Management will get better and I hope they do as there are many great people that come to work everyday and put their best foot forward just trying to earn a living and help the traveler. If anyone has any further questions please feel free to ask through site as I am more than willing to make your vacation more enjoyable than mine was,

7  Thank John2713
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went to Virginia Beach on family vacation. We were quite impressed with the staff, and room. Room overlooked the beach, and pier; balcony was great for the breeze too. Only issue was the 1 elevator was broken and was for our stay. That is only negative thing!!!!!

3  Thank robertsF2313JC
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel the night before arriving. We were not sure what to expect. Upon arrival there were six employees behind the front desk four of which were brand-new. Check-in took a little while and I was sort of hesitant because they had no idea what they were doing. We were on the ninth floor (the top floor) which was very very dark in the hallway. The room was clean, modern decor and the view was great. The water pressure not so great. All in all it was a nice hotel and affordable for planning a super quick trip. Breakfast buffet is included at the Pier 14 and it was good as well as free parking at the hotel. I would come back again as long as BOTH elevators are in operation. That might be the only downfall of this hotel. And reading from prior comments this seems to occur often. Oh, and the manager of housekeeping, (I did not catch her name) was AWESOME and very hospitable! She apologized to us for having to use the service elevator. She was Super friendly and welcomed us back for years to come.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Terrible experience, reservations mess up (price) AC didn't work and was never fixed, didn't even offer another room, Halls smelled and were dirty. After over charging (my business partner paid 50.00 less per night) at check out they changed the rate (up) again and had to argue for that. At reservation time they charged both night on my CC. Bed WORN OUT, broken down and lumpy. Worst hotel experience yet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Joseph S
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Staff worked hard to keep the lobby and elevators clean, which is a tough job in a beachfront hotel. Juice and coffee in the lobby was great. Rooms are smaller, but the balcony makes up for it. Sink space is way too small. Proximity to the beach was ideal and you couldn't hear any noise from the boardwalk at night. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Make sure you book oceanfront not ocean view. Rooms away from the elevator are much quieter.