Normally, when we travel (which isn't all that often to begin with), we have to spend a little more because we are a family of 6. We usually need a suite or at least an adjoining room. This time, only 4 of us made the trip, and we had to do a little cost cutting. So we picked the Sandcastle with a double-queen ocean-front room.
As others have said, the rooms are a little on the small side, but we are doing alright navigating around one another just fine. Check-in and parking were easy after a 10-hour drive, and the room was very neatly prepared and clean on check-in. I DID notice that although the air conditioner was maxed out, the room a little on the warm, humid side. I figured it was simply because this is an older hotel that has been renovated and the AC units are NOT central air. The first night's sleep was a little toasty. The next day, the battery in our smoke detector died so it started chirping. I called down to the desk about that and also mentioned the AC. Within 5 minutes, two guys were in our room assessing the situations. We left them as we went to dinner. When we got back, both issues were fixed perfectly and our room was a cool 68 degrees. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at how quick and perfect they resolved the issue, and needless to say again, last night's sleep was awesome.
We are on the 4th floor and enjoying the ocean-front view, the boardwalk, and the close proximity to the pier. Today, I tried the small fitness center rather than running the boardwalk. It is very small, but all the equipment worked well, and I was the only person in there (which was nice).
A lot of people complain about the breakfast buffet. If you've ever eaten cafeteria/buffet style breakfasts, it is fine. It's not like going to Bob Evans, but it's more than fine. Everything tasted a-okay.
I like having a convenience store and gift shop on site, but I always seem to need something. Housekeeping is on the ball, and our room is clean before we come in for lunch every day. Couldn't ask for more.
About the only complaint I have is that the elevators are slllloooooooowwww being an older hotel. If that is the worst I have to complain about then I have nothing to complain about.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel located directly on the world famous Virginia Beach boardwalk. Our guest will enjoy world class service, easy access to the beach, and spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel offers several types of accommodations to choose from. We offer you amazing views from 146 rooms with private balconies, two queen beds, or one king bed. All of our rooms offer you microwave and refrigerator, while our suites will provide you with a kitchenette. No matter how you must stay connected we offer free local calls, long distance access, and wireless high speed internet access. In addition, we have an on-site fitness center that overlooks the beach, on site laundry facilities, and complimentary business center. We are happy to provide you with conference rooms and meeting space for up to 150 people is perfect for your personal or professional functions. The Virginia Beach oceanfront is host to some of the best festivals and events you will find on the east coast such as; American Music Festival, Patriotic Festival, East Coast Surfing Championship, Neptune Festival, North American Sand Soccer Championship and the Boardwalk Art Show. Other nearby attractions includes Naval Air Station Oceana, Fort Story, Damn Neck Naval Base, Cape Henry Light House, Virginia Aquarium and Marine Museum, Virginia Beach Fishing Pier, and Ruddee Inlet.After spending the day enjoying Virginia Beach or working come back and enjoy the comfortable and spacious lobby or enjoy a great dinner at Pier 14. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Hotel Virginia Beach
- Sandcastle Resort Va Beach
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort Hotel