“Thanksgiving in Virginia Beach”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 23 January 2013

A warm welcome and good service for a cool holiday -- there to visit our son, we were convenient to him and to everything else, and this made a comfortable place to retreat to. The closet door wouldn't shut properly, but when we spoke to someone it was quickly attended to.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

I stayed at the Crown Plaza for two nights in January of 2013. I got a $51.00/night rate with hotwire.com. I am a 58 year old professional woman who was in VA Beach for a class for two days. As I was traveling by myself and sometimes do that I will describe this as a woman who travels alone. The rules for traveling alone are different than when I'm with someone.
The parking lot is well lit and in a low crime area. Some of the area's in VA Beach/Norfolk can be somewhat sketch at times. The hotel sits right up against the VA Beach Parkway, more about that later. I never felt unsafe here and was out after dark one of the nights. There are multiple restaurants in this area and if you want to eat out, this is the place to do it. Many, many choices.
I was checked in really quickly, I in the past was not a Priority but they quickly entered me in the program and got that taken care of. They were helpful with dining choices and there is a shuttle to shopping and restaurants if I wanted. Check in was painless and quick. The one negative about this experience was there were none of the ugly brass carts to bring in luggage. They need more of those but I managed to get all my stuff to the room.
I was in room 607, on the freeway side. The room is spacious (king size bed) and sofa with pull out. Nice LG flat screen TV, bathroom nice and clean. The room was clean and neat. Linens smelled fresh and clean. Lots of drawers for clothes and plenty of hangers in the closet. There are safe's in each room and that's a bonus. Nice desk with comfortable chair as well. Nothing at all wrong with the furnishings. Lots of lamps in the room, plenty of lighting for reading, 5 lamps. Refrigerator and nice bar area outside of the bathroom, again very nice. Bathroom has obviously been upgraded recently. No complaints there either. The hallways were well lite, I always felt safe. My one complaint with hotels in today's world are the pillows. Most good hotels have upgraded their beds and bedding with great success. I do not understand why they still have the same awful pillows?
I ordered room service for dinner the first night, I was exhausted and didn't feel like sitting in a restaurant on a Saturday night. I ordered Chicken fingers and fries, a diet coke and Blueberry cheesecake. The chicken fingers were hot and really good (you can screw up chicken fingers! I know it's hard, but you can).They were not greasy either. The fries were really good. I enjoyed the meal and was glad I stayed in.
I would advise anyone who is a light sleeper to request a room on the other side of the hotel. The road noise would be a problem for a light sleeper as I don't believe they upgraded the windows when they remodeled. I can sleep through anything.
In the morning I ordered room service for breakfast, oatmeal, yogurt, coffee. The ONLY complaint I would have is the coffee is awful. Not your normal strong hotel coffee. The rest of the breakfast was fine.
I did use the treadmill in the gym. It needs some work, the incline feature didn't work.
All in all, my stay was nice, comfortable and safe. I would stay here again, it is close to a lot of shopping and restaurants and the area appears safe. It is not close to the beach.

Room Tip: Light sleeper? Request room away from freeway.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I had seen this hotel numerous times from the 270 but had never stayed there. This hotel is located at the 270 and Independence. It is is adjacent to Towne Center which is one of my favorite places in Virginia Beach. Numerous restaurants to choose from including Cheesecake Factory, Ruth Chris and Cold Stone Creamery. The hotel itself is in transition as they are renovating rooms. I purposely asked for a renovated room (currently 7th and 8th floors only) and not facing the 270. My room was spacious with two full beds. Once again, I faced the dreaded mini-pillows. No one in the hotel can explain to me this choice. I should stop complaining and just bring my own pillow. The room also had a microwave and "quiet" refrigerator which was a very nice extra to store beers and make popcorn for late night munchies. I really like th bathroom especially the lighting. Normally bathrooms are poorly light and almost creepy. They provided not only the customary shampoo/conditioner but body location and even mouthwash. Th HVAC was a little loud but acceptable. Outside of the pillows, my only other major complaint was the "free internet" which was was sooooooooooooooooo slow that I could send a message, take a shower and it still would be pending. I suggested at the front desk upon my leaving that the manager to go to my room with her laptop and try to conduct business. I would rather pay a fee then be frustrated by a useless "free internet." The restaurant and bar are basic. Breakfast was acceptable with made to order omlettes and waffels. All other meals should be at Town Center. The online price is $64.00 a night, and I paid i$45. The hotel is a true gem and great value if you stick to the renovated rooms. this is now my favorite Virginia Beach hotels.

Room Tip: renovated rooms not facing the 270 freeway.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Bill W
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I was at this property for a 7 day business trip. The rooms were huge, clean, and comfortable. As a Priority Club Member I prefer to stay at IHG properties and have been at a horrible one yet. This one exceeded all expectations. The front desk staff was execptional, offering dining tips and ways around the rush hour traffic patterns. Jordan was especially helpful and kind. It is hotel associates like these that make a long business trip bearable.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My family stayed over Thanksgiving and held a catered Party event at the Hotel the night after Thanksgiving. We had a large room with several buffets and served appetizers and dinner entrees for 100 or so guests. The meeting room is off a separate hallway from the lobby providing privacy for our party. It was set up with multiple circular tables and very nice ambiance and appearance. The wait staff was very good at circulating the room with appetizers, the Oysters Rockefeller were particularly good. Buffet included vegetable tray, fruit tray (very popular with children and adults!) and cheese board with unique and delicious crackers. A separate station had tapenades and crackers. We also had carved Beef station and Pasta station for the dinner hour. We provided water and iced tea and alcohol was BYOB. For the BYOB they provided plentiful plastic cups, napkins and a large bin of ice so people could mix their own drinks. The food stations were arranged so there was never a line or crowd to get to it, very nice setup. We had a wonderful party and all the guests had a great time! Highly recommend this venue for a large party or event for business or family.

As for the hotel, the lobby is very attractive and includes a koi pond. The rooms have nice furniture and bedding which appeared freshly updated, but the overall ambiance is not so great but not sure why. Doors are metal and close with a bang, this is bad in the AM. Talkers in hall will wake you up in the morning as well. Some people complained about traffic noise in those rooms facing the interstate, so you may want to request room on the Bonney road side of hotel, it didn't bother me and I liked the open view and privacy not having a building in sight provided. Windows in room do not open which is too bad but common in modern hotels. Room included a poorly placed full length mirror, and not mentioned on website, a refrigerator in a cabinet, as well as microwave. Nice amenities and furnishings but room had a tired quality to it I can't explain. We had a good group rate and I was happy but others not so much.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Bonney Road do not have interstate traffic noise, if you are sensitive.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Thank You, your group was a pleasure to work with. I hope we can work with again in the future.
Mark Smith GM

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Everything about our stay was quite good. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and we got a great rate! Our room service breakfast took about 45 minutes to get to us, but it was really tasty, and the prices were excellent. We will definitely stay at the Crowne Plaza Town Center again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maargvark
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thank You for nice review. Room service should not take that long. I am sorry to here it took so long without being notified of it.

Please feel free to contact me directly I Look forwward to seeing you here again.

Mark Smith

Reviewed 23 November 2012

We are here for a 5 night stay in 616. We got an incredible rate on Priceline. The hotel is very clean, and the beds are super comfortable. The staff has all been extremely nice. I am pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Some items may seem a little older here and there (style wise) as others have mentioned, but nothing is damaged or in bad condition. It's simply a matter of taste, and the important things are upgraded....furniture, carpeting, etc. Overall, I am happier with this hotel, staff, amenities, and cleanliness than I have been in a while. I will definitely stay here anytime I am back in the area.

1  Thank Kelly T
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you for your nice comments we pride ourself on our coustomer service. Please look for our refresh that will be occuring starting in January 2013. Fell free to contact me on your next visit.

Mark Smith