Our 4-day stay got off to a rather rocky start, but then went pretty well. My wife and I had spent the whole day driving, so we were quite fatigued, but because of several major traffic backups en route, we couldn't check in till about 1AM. On hauling our stuff up to the room, we found a peculiar smell, almost like urine. (We've encountered this odor before in other hotels/motels and associate it with an older air conditioner that has been sitting idle for a while.) We turned on the a/c in hopes of clearing out the odor, but the compressor didn't seem to want to kick in at a reasonable temperature. As we were returning the luggage cart to the lobby, the desk clerk asked how we liked the room, so we told her about the odor and the a/c. She quickly found us another room on the same floor -- despite frequent interruptions by telephone calls from people who were looking for the Aqua Lounge, a local bar with a name similar to that of the hotel's Aqua Bar.
The 2nd room smelled better, but the a/c was even weaker: the compressor wouldn't kick in till the thermostat was lowered to 60 degrees! Meanwhile, the a/c in the first room had managed to clear out the odor, so we decided not to move after all. By then it was after 2AM, and we were totally exhausted, but we couldn't go to bed yet. Right after we had hung up our clothes, the wardrobe rack collapsed, pulling right out of the wall and dumping our clothes on the floor. Obviously that problem couldn't be fixed at 2AM, so we just draped the clothes over the sofa and went to bed. The next morning we called the desk about the broken rack, then headed out for the day. When we returned that evening, we found that someone had simply pushed the rack back into the wall, so of course it collapsed again as soon as we put any clothes on it. When we called the desk again, someone came up right away to work on the problem, and when we returned that evening, the problem was fixed.
After that, the only additional issue was that the room was not cleaned on the 3rd day of our stay. On a minor note, it's unfortunate that, like many older hotels, this one lacked an exhaust fan for the bathroom, so the guests have to contend with a fogged-up mirror, while the hotel has to resort to ongoing measures to combat mold/mildew.
On the positive side, the king-size bed was firm and comfortable; the Internet connection was reliable, the accommodations were roomy, quiet, and fairly attractive; the exercise room had decent equipment and natural lighting; and the parking was convenient. We didn't have a chance to try the pool.
On the whole, we found our stay satisfactory, but that's at least partly because we were able to get a great rate through a discounter. We probably would not stay at this hotel if we had to pay the regular rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach is located in the heart of the Town Center Business District, allowing corporate and leisure travelers easy access to Va. Beach, Norfolk and Chesapeake. We are just minutes from restaurants, shopping, attractions, military bases and the beach (8 miles) with convenient access to Interstates 264 and 64. The Crowne Plaza is within easy reach of Historic Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. The hotel offers 12,000 feet of flexible meeting and banquet space. Each guest room offers free wireless high speed Internet voice mail, coffee makers, make up mirrors, the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage Program which includes upgraded bedding, sleep amenities and more. Tines Restaurant & Aqua Bar features a wide range of food and beverage with, free wireless high speed Internet and wired high speed connections in the lobby. Additional amenities include an indoor pool, saunas, free business center with HSIA, 24 hour fitness center , gift shop and FREE shutle nightly to and from the Town Center entertainment area. Attractions: the Va. Science Museum, Verizon Amphitheater, and the Va. Sportsplex. The nearby Town Center features restaurants such as the Cheesecake factory, PF Chang, Ruth's Chris, Max & Erma s, and many more. Companies: Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Keane Inc., BB&T, SAIC, Amsec, Best Buy, Circuit City, Ford, EDS, and Ecolochem. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Virginia Beach
- Crowne Plaza Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Crowne Plaza