“amazing hotel....amazing price”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here recently for my daughters field hockey tournament and were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. From the moment we walked in to the time we check out we had nothing but wonderful customer service. The room was spacious, well decorated, and comfortable. Will stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
MarkSmith1024, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank You for taking your time to write such a nice review. It's much appreciated and we hope to see you again. Your group was great to work with.

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Upsides: nice sized rooms with fridge and microwave. Beds are very comfortable. Relatively clean with specific exceptions.
Downsides: hallways smelly heavily like play dough. Maintenance people ignore you even when you say hi and smile. Saw bugs (like earwigs?) crawling in and out of wall where toilet connects. Maid left prior guests food in fridge - was there when I checked in.

Management did make an effort to listen to my complaints, but took no visible recourse other than to apologize.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dasielady
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank You for taking time to write a review. We take all reviews serious whether they are positive or negative. I am sorry it appears we did not met your expectations. I hope we can get a chance to do that if you decide to return. Please feel free to contact me directly and discuss your experience further.

Mark Smith GM

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Like I said before if you're in town on business, this is the place to stay. I beg my travel office to put me there every time I have to travel to the Norfolk/VA beach area. Probably not that great for vacation but seriously it's tops for business. Plus they have a complimentary mixer every Wednesday with free beer, wine and pasta. they treat their customers like gold. I stay in close to 100 hotels a year and I always look forward to the crowne in VA Beach.

Room Tip: They have great rates, especially for priority club members and the suites are to die for definitely...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel is in an awesome location between Norfolk and Virginia beach. But the parking on Saturday was so bad in the hotel. They have a night club or a bar that is packed and you will search for a spot...although I came back late after ...it was empty...which means the hotel was empty ...so they need to be more strict about the parking to residents. Also, when i came to hotel at 11 pm...i had to stay in a long line!...as if i am entering the bar...beside this it is clean hotel...was little bit noise...looks like some residents where just a night club visitors and they decided to stay the night and my luck they stayed in my floor!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 day visit to this lovely hotel. Friendly, efficient and courteous this hotel does everything you would hope for. With a free bus to and from the centre of town, very good indeed.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank You for Taking time to write a review, we take all comments positive or negative serious. Your input about breakfast is an important point of view.Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Mark Smith GM

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I just returned from a five night stay at the Crowne Plaza Virginia Beach, and it was just what I wanted. Quiet, comfortable, and restful.

Positives: Room had all basic amenities including flat screen TV, sofa, desk, charging stations, very comfortable bed with good pillows, small but well equipped bathroom, good quality towels, instant hot water in shower. Complimentary USA Today. Very friendly front desk.

Negatives: Went down to breakfast on last day, and breakfast buffet was not set up because "We don't have enough guests to make it worthwhile." Either you have it or you don't, I don't care if I'm the only guest in the hotel.

A couple of notes. I had a minor car issue when I was there, and the maintenance staff helped me get up and running. Many thanks for the assistance. Also, this hotel is right next to the Interstate, so be sure and ask for a room on the other side. I did, and noise was not a problem. How close is it to the Interstate? When I started my GPS in the morning, the first thing it said was "Take exit 17A."

Room Tip: Be sure and get a room on the opposite side of the Interstate.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Our 4-day stay got off to a rather rocky start, but then went pretty well. My wife and I had spent the whole day driving, so we were quite fatigued, but because of several major traffic backups en route, we couldn't check in till about 1AM. On hauling our stuff up to the room, we found a peculiar smell, almost like urine. (We've encountered this odor before in other hotels/motels and associate it with an older air conditioner that has been sitting idle for a while.) We turned on the a/c in hopes of clearing out the odor, but the compressor didn't seem to want to kick in at a reasonable temperature. As we were returning the luggage cart to the lobby, the desk clerk asked how we liked the room, so we told her about the odor and the a/c. She quickly found us another room on the same floor -- despite frequent interruptions by telephone calls from people who were looking for the Aqua Lounge, a local bar with a name similar to that of the hotel's Aqua Bar.

The 2nd room smelled better, but the a/c was even weaker: the compressor wouldn't kick in till the thermostat was lowered to 60 degrees! Meanwhile, the a/c in the first room had managed to clear out the odor, so we decided not to move after all. By then it was after 2AM, and we were totally exhausted, but we couldn't go to bed yet. Right after we had hung up our clothes, the wardrobe rack collapsed, pulling right out of the wall and dumping our clothes on the floor. Obviously that problem couldn't be fixed at 2AM, so we just draped the clothes over the sofa and went to bed. The next morning we called the desk about the broken rack, then headed out for the day. When we returned that evening, we found that someone had simply pushed the rack back into the wall, so of course it collapsed again as soon as we put any clothes on it. When we called the desk again, someone came up right away to work on the problem, and when we returned that evening, the problem was fixed.

After that, the only additional issue was that the room was not cleaned on the 3rd day of our stay. On a minor note, it's unfortunate that, like many older hotels, this one lacked an exhaust fan for the bathroom, so the guests have to contend with a fogged-up mirror, while the hotel has to resort to ongoing measures to combat mold/mildew.

On the positive side, the king-size bed was firm and comfortable; the Internet connection was reliable, the accommodations were roomy, quiet, and fairly attractive; the exercise room had decent equipment and natural lighting; and the parking was convenient. We didn't have a chance to try the pool.

On the whole, we found our stay satisfactory, but that's at least partly because we were able to get a great rate through a discounter. We probably would not stay at this hotel if we had to pay the regular rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim B
MarkSmith1024, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the Crowne plaza Hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Feel free to contact me directly
Mark smith Gm.