“I would not recommend this hotel”

Ramada Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Albany, New York
“I would not recommend this hotel”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I come to Virginia Beach every year with our dance school for a national dance competition. I booked a non smoking studio which was to include 2 double beds, refrigerator, microwave, sink and granite counter top on 4/8/14 for my July vacation. Upon arrival we were given a standard room that consisted of two beds no sink, no microwave and no refrigerator. I went back to the front desk and explained to Kendra that this was not the room that I booked for our stay. Kendra was very helpful in trying to us the room that we had initially reserved. Unfortunately, the next room that Kendra tried to give to us was a smoking room. I was not willing to accept a smoking room as I am not a smoker and did not want myself or my family to be exposed to that type of an environment. So the only room that was available to us at that time was the honeymoon suite. I agreed to check out the room to see if it was suitable to our needs. Being that we were 10 hours away from home and need of a hotel room I agreed to stay in this room for part of our stay. Kendra said we could stay in the room until Wednesday and then we would be transferred to the room we originally reserved. So we left all of our belongings in our suitcases. My husband and I and my 7 year old slept in the bed and my 17 year old slept on the couch that did not pull out into a bed. Kendra also gave us breakfast voucher for each one of us for our stay at the hotel because of the inconvenience. We ended up staying the suite for the entire length of our stay because we were never moved to another room.

So at first I thought the situation was a legitimate mix up. As my week in the hotel progressed and chatting with other guests at the hotel it appeared that it was a practice for guests to be put in rooms other than the ones that they had reserved. Guests who had reserved and paid for refrigerators and microwaves were put on a waiting list until Wednesday. I am unsure if they ever received them or not.
There were 3 elevators in the hotel. The majority of the week 2 out of the 3 elevators were broken.
What I found to be most disturbing about my experience at this hotel is that it is affiliated with Gold Key resorts. There is a person stationed near the front lobby soliciting for Gold Key resorts everyday. They call your room phone and try to get you to sign up to take tours in the Gold Key resorts. So Gold Key resorts is allowing the guests at the Ramada Inn to have horrible vacation experiences at the Ramada Inn while trying to lure them to their other facilities. I personally feel that the Ramada Inn guests should have the same service as those at the other facilities affiliated with Gold Key resorts. Since the room that I reserved was not what they gave me I should have been given the option of an adequate room at one of the Gold Key Resort facilities. Having 3 people in one bed and a 17 year old cramped on a couch for a week, Jacuzzi that didn't work, rug torn up so we had to place luggage on it so we didn't scratch cut our feet on staples, not having our rooms cleaned and service until 3 or 4 in the afternoon when we were out of the room by 8am is not at all acceptable. It is very poor customer service and I will be sure to tell all of the people that I know the experience that I had at this hotel and with Gold Key Resorts.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank stuff94
BobvGM, General Manager at Ramada Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your review and comments, I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the room type you reserved, there are only 27 rooms in the hotel witht the features you mentioned, but we should have taken better care of you. Kindly contact me prior to your return to the beach for next year's competition so I can assure that you receive the accomodation that was promised to you. You may reach me at 757-491-3677. regards, Bob von Esmarch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is that it is oceanfront. We got a room on the eight floor. The room was clean, despite this being an older property. There are two elevators, one doubles as a service elevator and takes forever to arrive. The other is just for guest and is a bit faster. The hallway leading to the rooms gets hot in the evening, the sun shines all day and there is no air conditioning (they open small slat windows), pair this with a slow moving elevator and you have sweat. If these are my biggest complaints then it was not bad. The location and view are what you are paying for. Also, in the summer they have a live band on 7th street each night until 10:00.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Travelswiththem
Thank you for your review and observations, There are challenges in being an older hotel, however we do provide a hospitable clean environment for our guests. I am glad you enjoyed the band and had an otherwise pleasant experience. Regards, Bob von Esmarch
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I called three days before arrival to ask if I could have a medical freezer/fridge in our room for breast milk. I was told it would absolutely not be a problem, so I brought 36 oz of frozen milk on a 10 hour drive. When we got there it needed to go into a freezer that moment. They not only didn't have a it ready, they said they couldn't get me one and to just use ice and a bucket. It took a heated discussion in the lobby and a scene to get the fridge I was promised. The front desk lady was rude and had no clue the value of breast milk to a mother or the struggles of traveling with small children, nor did she care. Absolutely terrible service- I would have taken formula if they said they couldn't accommodate a nursing mother.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Prettypanther88
Bobvone49, General Manager at Ramada Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
I am so sorry that you experienced such an insensitive response from our staff member, I assure you this will be corrected. It would be of great help if you would contact me directly as i would like to see if your request was noted on the reservation so we could avoid such an unpleasant situation in future. You may reach me at 757-491-3677. I sincerely look forward to speaking with you at your earliest convenience. Regards, Bob von Esmarch
Springfield, VA
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Located on the southern side of the Boardwalk, it was nicely situated away from the noisy mayhem on Atlantic Ave. The room was clean and had a really nice large balcony directly facing the ocean. It was beautiful to awaken to sunrise each morning. Also, the 7th Street Stage was right next to the hotel's bar so we benefitted from live entertainment in the evenings. The staff in the bar (Mahi's) was really nice as well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SagunaH
Thank you for your review and very kind words, I will share your thoughts with our staff members. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. Regards, Bob von Esmarch
Dry Ridge, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here in Sept. for a Navy Reunion where we had the hospitality rooms there too. Hotel room was very average but clean with a nice balcony overlooking the ocean and at this time of the year the huge tents put up on the beach for the Neptune Festival. This does take up a lot of the hotels beach area so be forewarned. The hotel staff was great in their help with the reunion and bent over backwards for us. Plenty of good restaurants around with the Sunshine across the street a great breakfast place. Will be back this Sept. for another reunion.

Room Tip: hard to beat the ocean side for great views of the ocean and boardwalk etc