“Wouldn't stay anywhere else!”
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #66 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Troy, Ohio
“Wouldn't stay anywhere else!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Alamar Resort Inn June 8 – 11. I am a brutally honest person and do not like to sugar coat anything.

The surrounding neighborhood does not look that inviting, but then again, it looks like the typical beach front. A little worn and weathered. The Alamar though is a unique find. The parking lot in front of the building is small, but that can be overlooked since the additional parking area is just seconds of a walk away. The walkways throughout the Alamar are paved with paver bricks which provide it a nice Mediterranean feel. The lobby is clean, has a really nice tile floor and is comfortable.

The room was a little dated, I am not sure how I would call the decoration, but everything was serviceable and clean. I have been spoiled sleeping on a memory foam mattress so the mattress was a bit uncomfortable to me, but I still slept well and woke up rested in the morning. I had clean towels upon request and was taken care of by the service staff if I needed anything.

Nobody can say the saltwater pool is anything other than pristine. I don’t think a swimclub’s pool even gets the kind of care and maintenance that the Alamar’s pool gets. The water was clean, refreshing, and perfect.

There are many restaurants nearby and the owners know them all. I was not disappointed with their recommendations.

The beach is a five minute casual stroll. A word of caution though, Virginia drivers do not know what a painted crosswalk is so they do not like to stop for you to cross the street. Take some extra caution and watch out for the reckless drivers.

If I had a concern, it was addressed. The key to making my stay a breeze was letting the owners know, either Tina or Ernie, ahead of time what my timeline was. They are a small hotel and with that provide exceptional personal service. Treat them like friends and family and let them know when you will be arriving and when you will be checking out. In my opinion, they will do everything they need to in order to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.

If you take anything from this long post, take this: The Alamar Resort Inn is a small, quiet, family friendly location that provides quality services and exceptional value that is nestled in one of the best locations of Virginia Beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tristan W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was are last stop looking for a room for two nights. Everything was great clean rooms comfy beds close to the beach. The only thing we didn't like was trying to book are room with a person that could hardly speak english. Would stay again if were in VA beach again.......MacLacklin family....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed here June 15-16, 2013 and overall it was a great stay, I found many positives and a few minor negatives. The hotel seems well maintained by the owner who was painting the fountain out front when we arrived. The patio and pool deck all around the pool looked to have been recently renovated and helped the hotel seem a little more modern than its overall appearance. The room was in great shape and very clean. Soft pillows and modern sheets as well as a recently completely renovated bathroom. The room had central air which is a nice change from most old hotel/motels at the beach.

VA BEACH BONUS TIP: Because there aren't many high rise hotels on the beach between 17th and 15th street, the beach at 16th (where you would go if you stayed here) is comparably less crowded.

However, there was a noise problem this weekend because we could hear people playing the drinking game "quarters" until 3am, someone was having loud sex, and another room had loud children running around yelling all morning. There weren't any other guests staying on our floor near us in the hotel so I imagine that maybe the air vents were carrying the noise from other rooms around the hotel, or the floors/walls are thin. Also, when the owner or his wife were not at the front desk the girl working there barely spoke english so trying to check in/out was a bit of an exercise, but she was friendly and pleasant nonetheless. The hotel parking lot was two houses over but they let us park there 4 hours before check-in and all day Sunday which was nice.
Overall the staff was friendly, the room was nice, comfy and clean, and it is located close to the beach and many restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jkucz
Park City, Utah, United States
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I spent three nights at the Alamar Resort Inn in a 1 bedroom unit with a full kitchen. The Inn is conveniently located 2 blocks from the boardwalk on the beach yet in a quiet area. Restaurants and shops are a short walk away. The owners and staff are very friendly and willing to help to make your stay the best it can be. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeff C
Virginai
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Ummm...I wanted to surprise my daughter and treat her for a nice break...so we stayed here durning the Nuptune Festival..the location was close to the event but we felt uncomfortable...felt like we were being watched because cameras everywhere. The advertisement said there was a lounge...gameroom...ice machine not the case.....no one in office in the evenings...seemed like once they got the money the office people disappeared...the shower handle broke on me and the owner blamed me for breaking it..this place could be a gold mine if managed properly...

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank obxsandrunner
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 24 March 2015
The Alamar Resort Inn is a privately owned hotel in the resort area of Virginia Beach and our
focus is on providing a family environment for our guests. We get many complements and many repeat guests because we maintain a quiet and enjoyable environment and our rules are in place to make that environment possible.

This reservation was made online for 2 guests with hotel policies stated under important information. Hotel rates are always based on the number of guests, and, at check-in, this guest stated that he was traveling with his wife and one child. As stated in our polices, guests under 12 have no fee, so, initially, there was no additional charge. When the 2 additional teenage children arrived , the rate was adjusted $10 a day for each one. When this guest became angry at the rate increase, we referred her to the polices clearly stated on her online reservation information.

Unfortunately, and, to our regret, sometimes no matter what we do , there will be occasions when a guest is not happy. When this guest's rate was adjusted properly for the number of people in her party, she became angry, and , from that point on, we could do nothing right in her eyes. Every request made by this guest was honored promptly and this guest was treated with the utmost courtesy and professionalism throughout her stay. It is our goal that each of our guests have as wonderful and memorable vacation as possible
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I spent an entire month at the Alamar while I was relocating to the area. It offered me everything I needed. The suite was clean and offered a kitchen with all the comforts of home. The owners and housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for daily walks on the boardwalk. Thanks to all for making my transition to a new town so easy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank abb23451
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 7 November 2012

The Alamar Resort Inn is a wonderful place to stay for your get away. The owners and staff were always friendly and helpful, and made us feel nothing but welcomed. I'm really funny about how places smell when I stay there, because some hotel smell weird, and I can gladly say The Alamar Resort Inn was very refreshing, as well as perfectly clean! Definitely appropriate for a family stay, business stay, couples, or even solo. Great location. This is the only place I would stay when I come back to V.A., and I advise everyone else to stay here too!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family