“Wonderful Hotel!”

Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Anderson, South Carolina
“Wonderful Hotel!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have stayed at the Alamar many times and it is the only place we stay at when visiting Virginia Beach. Our family loves the clean, quiet rooms and the salt water pool is perfect for when we come back from a day at the beach. The owners have always been very attentive and professional and do what ever they can to make our stay great. Highly recommend !!

Room Tip: Owners can help with restaurant recommendations and things to do.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sara M
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us , again, and for your kind words!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We usually stop at VA Beach for a night or two on the way to the OBX. I chose the Alamar because it was pet friendly. There were not a lot of hotels to chose from due to it being The Neptune Festival. We arrived at 12:45. Check in is at 3. I was told I could not check in until 3. Ok, I get the fact that it is clearly stated on the website that check in is at 3. I guess I 'am just used to all the other hotels I have stayed at in the past in VA Beach being more than happy to let us check in a couple hours early. Here's the kicker: When I asked if we could hang out by the pool for a while before check in, I was told no. I then asked "you just saw my reservation on your computer so I 'am obviously staying here & I can't sit by the pool until check in. Her reply was "I'm sorry, but I don't make the rules.
After finally checking in, I found out what a pain parking turned out to be. There is only parking for a few cars in front of the hotel. You can park in front of the hotel for 15 minutes to check in/unload. If you are not able to get a parking place in front you have to park in their lot about a 100 feet or so down the street. No big deal. Here's the kicker to this one. They don't give you any type of parking pass to put in your vehicles window. I was lucky enough to get the last parking space in this lot. I find it hard to believe every vehicle in this lot was staying at the hotel, especially with Neptune Festival taking place. So I asked the question about why there are no parking passes to hang from your vehicles mirror. I was told that they used to do that but they don't any more. I then asked "how do you know if every car in the lot is staying at this hotel?" Her reply was "there is a sign that says Alamar Resort parking only" I'm sure that will really deter people from parking there, especially during weekend events.
Now for the room. Actually, the room was decent. There is no elevator. Fortunately we had a room on the first floor & were only there for 1 night. We didn't have to take everything into our room. I would not want to be on the 2nd or 3rd floor & have to lug everything up the stairs. Our only issues with the room were the walls being a little thin especially when a toilet in the next room was flushed. The other issue was when my wife went turn on the air conditioner in the middle of the night, she couldn't find it. There isn't an individual thermostat in every room. We found this a bit archaic.
I would probably not stay here again. I have stayed at the pet friendly Red Roof Inn several blocks away, but I didn't realize it was Neptune Festival when I called them & they were booked up. Next time I will make my reservation earlier with the Red Roof Inn so as to avoid staying at the Alamar "Resort" Inn.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buster2929
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We are always happy to check guests in early whenever possible. As this guest stated, it was
Neptune Festival Weekend, which is a big weekend in Virginia Beach, and, we were sold out.
However, their room was prepared and ready for them at 2:30. We were pleased to be able to have the room ready early for this guest.

We always want to do whatever we can to make our guests stays as
enjoyable and memorable as possible.
maryland
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is out first time in this hotel. We chose this for the price and was pleasantly surprised with the rest of it.
Pros: Location can either be good or bad depending on your needs. Since we came on an off season just for the Neptune Festival, this location is perfect. It is close enough to the beach (2 blocks) yet far away from all the noise. I would not stay here in the summer when we intend to swim because it will be a hike to bring all beach stuff and my family likes to wake up to the sound of the waves and eat breakfast on an oceanfront balcony. The customer service was excellent. The rooms does not have individual AC but the thermostat was adjusted whem we requested. I cant imagine what they do when theres a lot of guests with different comfort level on thermostat. This hotel is within walking distance on everything. 7-11 is a block away. The room has a fridge and microwave. Bring your own utensils.
Con: nothing major. The room has thin walls. The sound of toilet flushing next door sounded like it was from our room. No elevator either! Hike to the third floor!!! Again, we were there for two nights so we didnt have a lot of luggage or beach stuff. I can imagine this will be a problem on peak season or longer stay. No private balcony but a commin balcony facing the pool right outside our door.
Overall we enjoyed our stat. We will probably come back for next year's Neptune Festival. Probably not for the summer...

• Stayed September 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It is very difficult to find reviews for handicapped travelers.
Let me start this review by telling you about myself. I’m a 45 Y.O. female. I’ve had extensive spinal surgery with significant titanium implantation. I use a cane with assistance to walk and a wheelchair for longer trips.

I was traveling with my husband and 14 year old son. We were only attending an event in Virginia Beach, VA that required an overnight stay. I thought well....rather than stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel, as I usually do, let's try a "Mom and Pop" type of place. MISTAKE....BIG mistake.

The check-in was done at the owner's pace. She wasn't outgoing or talkative. She did have a dog with her ~ for those of you with allergies. Even though we booked a room with 2 queen beds, we had to pay an addition $10 for my son to stay with us. We were on the ground floor, just like we asked. The room was clean but was in need of an update.

There were 2 beds, each had a saggy mattresses. Each bed had 4 pillows that were pretty much useless, nothing but puff that offered no head/neck support. The room had sparse cheap supplies. No hairdryer. We had to ask for bath towels.

The BIGGEST problem was that THERE WAS NO INDIVIDUAL CONTROL OF THE AC IN YOUR ROOM!!!

The room was stuffy when we first got there. Unable to find the control to make it cooler, my husband called the front desk. He was told that the front desk controlled the A/C!! WHAT!! However, they did turn it up.
When it was time to go to bed, I was having difficulty breathing. I do have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). When my husband called the front desk it rang and no one picked up. When they called us back we asked to lower our A/C my husband was told the office had nothing to do with it. Room 102 controlled the A/C for our room 103!
The office said they would call room 102 and ask if they minded turning the temp. down.

After not much success with room 102 we asked to be moved to another room with A/C we could control ourselves. An older man knocked on our door wearing a tank top type of t-shirt and pants. Nothing to identify him as a hotel employee. He offered to put us in another room, on the 2nd floor and said he was going to control the A/C because “”You people” might turn it down to 60 and freeze up the compressor”. Due to the late hour, my son sleeping and the tone of the “employee” we declined to move.

The next morning when we turned in our one and only room key. Management said nothing to us.

Enjoy your beach visit!...opt for a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa B
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
We appreciate this guest's complements on our room's cleanliness. Our staff works hard to make certain that each guest has a nice , clean room to enjoy. We, also, appreciate this guest acknowledging that their 1st floor room request was taken care of. Our guests are our priority and we try to honor special requests whenever possible.

This reservation was made online for 2 guests with hotel policies stated under important information. Hotel rates are always based on the number of people, and, at check-in, this guest stated that she was traveling with her husband and 14 year old son. As stated in our polices, guests under 12 have no fee so a $10.00 fee for the 3rd person was applied. When this guest became angry at the rate increase, we referred her to the polices stated on her online reservation information.

At check-in , we were welcoming and cordial as we are with all of our guests. We are in the hospitality business because we enjoy people. Our rooms are decorated in Queen Anne Style furnishings and detailed pictures of our rooms are available on our website. We receive many complements from our guests who enjoy the comfort , size and style of our rooms. We supply our rooms with toiletries, towels and coffee with hair dryers available. When this guest requested extra towels, they were promptly supplied.

Unfortunately, and, to our regret, sometimes no matter what we do , there will be occasions when a guest is not happy. When this guest's rate was adjusted properly for the number of people in her party, she became angry, and , from that point on, we could do virtually nothing right in her eyes. Every request made by this guest was honored promptly and this guest was treated with the utmost courtesy and professionalism throughout her stay.

The Alamar Resort Inn is a clean, quiet and family oriented hotel and we always strive for our guests to have the best stay possible.
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Alamar Resort Inn June 8 – 11. I am a brutally honest person and do not like to sugar coat anything.

The surrounding neighborhood does not look that inviting, but then again, it looks like the typical beach front. A little worn and weathered. The Alamar though is a unique find. The parking lot in front of the building is small, but that can be overlooked since the additional parking area is just seconds of a walk away. The walkways throughout the Alamar are paved with paver bricks which provide it a nice Mediterranean feel. The lobby is clean, has a really nice tile floor and is comfortable.

The room was a little dated, I am not sure how I would call the decoration, but everything was serviceable and clean. I have been spoiled sleeping on a memory foam mattress so the mattress was a bit uncomfortable to me, but I still slept well and woke up rested in the morning. I had clean towels upon request and was taken care of by the service staff if I needed anything.

Nobody can say the saltwater pool is anything other than pristine. I don’t think a swimclub’s pool even gets the kind of care and maintenance that the Alamar’s pool gets. The water was clean, refreshing, and perfect.

There are many restaurants nearby and the owners know them all. I was not disappointed with their recommendations.

The beach is a five minute casual stroll. A word of caution though, Virginia drivers do not know what a painted crosswalk is so they do not like to stop for you to cross the street. Take some extra caution and watch out for the reckless drivers.

If I had a concern, it was addressed. The key to making my stay a breeze was letting the owners know, either Tina or Ernie, ahead of time what my timeline was. They are a small hotel and with that provide exceptional personal service. Treat them like friends and family and let them know when you will be arriving and when you will be checking out. In my opinion, they will do everything they need to in order to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.

If you take anything from this long post, take this: The Alamar Resort Inn is a small, quiet, family friendly location that provides quality services and exceptional value that is nestled in one of the best locations of Virginia Beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tristan W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was are last stop looking for a room for two nights. Everything was great clean rooms comfy beds close to the beach. The only thing we didn't like was trying to book are room with a person that could hardly speak english. Would stay again if were in VA beach again.......MacLacklin family....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed here June 15-16, 2013 and overall it was a great stay, I found many positives and a few minor negatives. The hotel seems well maintained by the owner who was painting the fountain out front when we arrived. The patio and pool deck all around the pool looked to have been recently renovated and helped the hotel seem a little more modern than its overall appearance. The room was in great shape and very clean. Soft pillows and modern sheets as well as a recently completely renovated bathroom. The room had central air which is a nice change from most old hotel/motels at the beach.

VA BEACH BONUS TIP: Because there aren't many high rise hotels on the beach between 17th and 15th street, the beach at 16th (where you would go if you stayed here) is comparably less crowded.

However, there was a noise problem this weekend because we could hear people playing the drinking game "quarters" until 3am, someone was having loud sex, and another room had loud children running around yelling all morning. There weren't any other guests staying on our floor near us in the hotel so I imagine that maybe the air vents were carrying the noise from other rooms around the hotel, or the floors/walls are thin. Also, when the owner or his wife were not at the front desk the girl working there barely spoke english so trying to check in/out was a bit of an exercise, but she was friendly and pleasant nonetheless. The hotel parking lot was two houses over but they let us park there 4 hours before check-in and all day Sunday which was nice.
Overall the staff was friendly, the room was nice, comfy and clean, and it is located close to the beach and many restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple