“May never stay anywhere but the Alamar”
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #69 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We had a lovely time at this hotel. We booked it because of the reviews here, and because we needed a place where our special needs child would not be exposed to things I cannot explain to him. The room (we had a 1 bedroom suite) was very comfy and very clean, and I am a fanatic about clean. It had a large frig, a nearly full-size stove, and wonder of wonders, a dishwasher which I did not expect. The staff was attentive, the pool is larger than many beach front chains have for 10X the number of guests. Two incidents define the personal attention this hotel offers. The owner has a lovely well-mannered dog that he sometimes brings when he is working. My son is afraid of dogs. When the owner overheard me trying to reassure my son that the dog was not dangerous, he told me not to feel threatened by it. I explained that my son's fear was not rational and the owner immediately confined the dog. Also, we left a large expensive hard drive at the hotel. We thought nothing of it, assuming we had left it at home. When we arrived home and could not find it we assumed we had misplaced it elsewhere in our travels. Imagine the surprise when the hotel called us and told us they had found it three days after our return. They would not even accept any money to cover the cost of shipping it! You will never get that kind of service from any chain on the beach, and as a VA native I've tried them all. I will be back in the comfortable bed in room 106 next summer, and hope my praise of the Alamar will not result in such an influx of tourists that I have trouble booking my week.
In general, the location is good, quick walk to the beach, and near the pier and amusement area. There is jet noise during the day, but that is common all over VA beach due to Oceana. Hey guys, it's the sound of freedom!

1  Thank quetzalmom

Reviewed 4 August 2008

We have just returned from a week vacation in Virginia Beach staying in a suite at the Alamar Resort Inn. This hotel is small, quaint , very clean and family oriented. It is ideally located a block from the beach with quick access to many stores, restaurants and night life. The suite offered us a clean and spacious bedroom, living and dinning room, and full kitchen which was very convenient with 2 teenagers. The Alamar also has a great pool, rooftop sun deck, patio, laudry service and games room which we used daily. The owner Max, and his staff Theresa and Edward are all very customer oriented and they went out of their way to ensure our stay was enjoyable and memorable. Max is also in the process of renovating and modernizing the suites and rooms. We have told our friends and family of our positive experience and If our travels bring us back to Virginia Beach, we will definately stay at the Alamar Resort Inn.

Reviewed 22 July 2008

Overall we were satisfied with our stay, but you really should read a lot of the reviews on this hotel before you make your decision. There is a lot of still pertinent information in the reviews. Like ants, indifference in staff, crumbling facilities, poor parking and more. I won't repeat a lot of what was said.

Overall, there is no way this hotel should be in the top 10 let alone top 50 hotels in VA Beach. But it does have some positives to be fair.

Our family of 4 chose this hotel because of the reviews and because of the location and cost ($160 per night for two queen beds, small fridge and microwave).

Be VERY careful of their payment and cancellation policies. They charged our credit card for one night in advance even though we did not agree to these terms. Seemed fair though - just wish we had agreed to this. They also made us sign and fax an agreement in advance (didn't have a Fax, making this difficult). Also, a 3 week cancellation policy - lose the whole amount (all days you were to stay) if you don't give this amount of notice.

We had emailed the hotel a month before our visit to keep an eye out for a bigger suite if one became available - but obviously they ignored this - the clerk didn't know anything about our wish, and one was only available for one night.

Generally, the staff was friendly as noted in other reviews. True they never clean the coffee pot nor replenish supplies unless you go get it yourselves. True the linens are dated not to die for. Bedspreads - not duvets here. The Kleenex must have been bought on the black market - like sandpaper.

The building is falling apart - some serious looking cracks in the concrete stairways. Hard to believe some inspector someday is not going to order some serious repairs. Some railings are starting to come loose. The common areas are pretty poor looking.

You can't change the temperature in the rooms - there is a lock box on the control. Fortunately, we were one of the lucky inhabitants where it worked properly, and the temp was always pretty good. We heard others complain that their's was not working ok. I saw rusted out A/C units on the roof (there is a deck on top).

A bit of noise in the area. Can hear toilets flush above. Nearby amusement park. Nearby construction of new condos. Planes going over all the time (commercial and military). But at the same time, surprisingly quiet in the room given all this noise outside and in.

But they do keep a nice pool which is right at your door. And you are close to the beach.

Read the reviews for details and buyers beware.

I was ok with the stay but would not stay again.

4  Thank Hamitup
Maximilian14, Owner/Operator at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2008

My name is Max Sammons I am the owner/operator of the

Alamar Resort Inn. I am writing this response because

of several inaccurate statements in this review.

We take all of our reviews good and bad seriously and

learn from them to improve our hotel.

Lets begin with the 1st paragraph, Our hotel is

inspected by the city of Va Beach inspectors for

structure, fire alarms, cleanliness, grounds and

safety. This inspection is repeated even more closely

by the AAA inspector. We are not a crumbling

facility. Insects have been a problem for all the

hotels in the city of Va Beach, I have on file the

reports from our exterminator, who comes to our

property twice monthly, and the email from the city

warning all hotels of the insect problem. We also

have insecticide on the property to help us deal with

this minor problem. These are all available for

review by any guest of our hotel.

We have one parking spot for every room in our hotel

and 4 are located in the front of our hotel and the

rest are located about a 10 second walk from where

the other 4 are located.

We have earned are 3 diamond rating from AAA and the

reviews of many other guests have earned us our top

10 rating, based on our location, service, staff,

cleanliness and attention to detail.

Our payment and cancellation policies are as follows.

We have a 3 week cancellation policy, if you cancel

before 3 weeks you will be refunded you deposit. If

you cancel within the 3 weeks you will be refunded

your deposit minus $40.00 administation fee. It is a

simple as that. We ask to send a fax or email

confirmation to the guest, which outlines the

reservation, amount, arrival and departure dates,

which most if not all customers ask us for. We do

inform the guest that a deposit is required to hold

the reservation, We inform the guest of that before

we ever get any credit card information. and provide

a reciept of that charge when the guest checks in. We

have refunded many guests that were unable to come to

our hotel for whatever reason. Please sign and fax

back or sign, scan and email back to comfirm your

reservation. It is a simple as that.

When this reservation was made, a suite was not

available and was not available the day before

checkin, therefore it was my judgement not to inform

my desk clerks of a suite that was never available to

begin with. If one would have become available I

would have notified my staff and would have been glad

to sell them the larger more expensive suite.

The common areas have been updated with new flowers,

bushes, plants, and a new second floor sundeck. We

water the plants and clean the grounds everyday. All

room have maid service everyday and the kleenex brand

kleenex is a quality product.

There are lock boxes on the A/C controls but they are

not locked and ususlly are hanging open. The guest

can change their temperature any time they wish, If

the box happens to be locked, then we unlock it for

them to use. We will remove them in the offseason.

The A/C units are located on the roof and can be seen

from the sundeck, but what this reviewer left out was

the 4 new units that were installed, the old one was

still being dismantled for removal and it was only

one left.

I invite anyone to stop by and visit our hotel to

decide for themselves. Also, it is noteworthy that

this reviewer was satisfied with their stay, and that

when they were asked at check-in, during and at

check-out what else if anything we could do for them

they had no comment.

Reviewed 15 July 2008

I chose the alamar because of reviews i had read. Well they were right on when they said you get wonderful staff and facillities here. From check-in to check-out, we had no complants! Very friendly staff, and very hard working too!! We traveled with two teenage boys who loved the ping-pong and video games available.The location is absolutly perfect, close enough to walk to everything, but far enough to be very quiet at night. I would highly recommend the alamar suite, it was perfect to spread out in. We can't wait to return!! THANKS FOR A WONDERFUL TIME YOU REALLY DESERVE FOUR STARS!!! The Kipplen's from ohio GO BUCKS!! (That was for max)

1  Thank OhioKips
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Just a very short walk to the beach. No need to pack lunch, just go back and get it. Clean. Very quiet at night and a clean pool. A friend came to see us at the hotel and the owner was very nice and got him parking. I saw this review section a little late! We'll be at the hotel again next week already. My children loved the game room as well! We plan to stay here every year.

The McKenzie's

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank menz
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Alex was wonderful when I called to book the stay! Thanks! Me, my husband and two teenage children stayed in the suite and we really enjoyed our stay and can't wait to go back again! The staff was great and we all enjoyed our visits by Henry! Don't change anything except maybe a few new games for the kids in the game room! The laundry room was such a great plus to be able to use! Thank you all again for a wonderful time& hope to see you all again soon!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2008

The staff is so personal and visible, I felt badly about my family making a mess in our room. This is a good thing, how warm Max, Theresa and Edward are (sorry if I got names wrong).

Interesting how they call themselves "resort inn". It does seem to combine elements of both categories. This isn't the place for luxury, but for welcoming comfort.

The pool is nice, the location excellent. There is a 7-11 nearby to buy milk for your morning cereal.

Walk to 17th street, a two block walk, to get all the amenities you need for a day at the beach: $10 pizza for takeout at the Dough Roller, public restrooms, Dairy Queen windows with an expanded menu and outdoor tables to eat anything, a lifeguard, a nearby pharmacy in case you forget your sunblock, and a reasonable breakfast/lunch place called the Log Cabin (I think.)

They have a firm quiet policy and there isn't any venues that is close enough to awaken you and your family with their partying noise.

We stayed in a suite, an excellent value, especially considering the going rates a block away for smaller rooms. The beds were comfortable, even the pullout sofa.

They have a couple of patios to await your lagging family members, and a game room, which isn't very well-appointed, but did you go there for an arcade? It's just right for the quiet policy. And they have a laundry room!

Pack lightly to walk slowly for about four minutes to the beach and distribute the weight among your family, and you'll agree this is a great, great find. Thanks, Trip Advisor, for telling me about it.

How to pack lightly? This place is close enough that you don't need a big beach towel for every member in your group to dry off (you can't take the hotel's); if your people are less than 150 lbs, you can tote easily the small kids' folding sports chairs (my husband at over 250 sat in one for hours); pop a water bottle in the freezer in your room and stash that in your backpack with a couple of bottles to share; bring a lightweight beach umbrella with the strap; bring just a few sand toys, or buy if you must at Sunsensations. I used to drag a red wagon full of stuff but now I learned!

Where to eat? Drive away one night to go to the DW's Mongolian Grill for all you can eat at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family