“Honestly... Don't listen to all the bad reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #58 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
“Honestly... Don't listen to all the bad reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Ok so I recently stayed in this hotel and just feel that it needs a little bit of redemption because previous reviewers did this place injustice by writing the reviews they did. My boyfriend booked this place for himself, my sister and I. We range in ages from 23 to 32. Before booking we did read the reviews and honestly didn't really care. Most of them discuss the owner and how unpleasant she is and even though I did'nt experience this I wouldn't have cared if I did because all I was concerned about was the cleanliness.

So let me tell you this is the cleanest hotel you will EVER stay at and have ever stayed at. I have stayed in some awful hotels and I have stayed at some of the most expensive hotels and this place was immaculate. None of the reviewers ever said anything about it being dirty but for me I don't really care about much as long as it is clean. There was not a speck of dirt or even a granule of sand in this place. Not in the corners, not in the shower and not even in the pull out sofa. With that being said if your looking for a clean place this is a safe bet.

Onto the owner. I know exactly who the previous reviewers are referring to because she is the main lady in the office but I did not find this to be true. Now maybe it was because I didn't have any problems with the hotel but she was actually more than accommodating a friendly to us. Even randomly came over to our room to ask if there was anything we needed. Now again... I didn't need any special pillows, or wasn't trying to cram a team of cheerleaders into my room and also didn't trash the place during my stay. Bottom line if your respectful to the hotel then she will be respectful to you...but I feel like that goes with any place you stay at. So if you are a family staying here or a group of friends who aren't young, obnoxious, late night partiers then this is your place.

Onto the room itself and the facilities. Like I said the room itself honestly for me could'nt have been any better. It was clean, spacious and had everything I needed. One reviewer wrote they had to request for towels. Now I highly doubt there were no towels in the room at all I just believe they had to ask for me...as did I. There were 3 of us in the room and 4 towels. I usually use 2 each time so all I did was place a phone call and asked for more towels. Which... again I have had to do at every place Ive stayed at ranging from NYC to Las Vegas. Yes the room is out dated as one person wrote but it is a regular beach hotel what do you expect. Its not some big fancy resort on the beach its your everyday beach hotel. So it is outdated but clean! And by out dated I mean it had wall paper. Big deal. As for the smell of mildew I did not smell this and I would think that I would have because I have a sensitive nose to things like that but I didn't. The place even had a dishwasher! I personally did'nt use the pillows because I am very particular about my pillows and bring my own everywhere as should you if you are the same way. My sister and boyfriend used them and had no complaints. No there was no elevator but Ive never stayed in a beach hotel like this with an elevator so if you need access to an elevator ask for a 1st floor room. Most people just think they need elevators because we lazy Americans eat to much to be physically able to walk the steps.

So I think I covered it all. I was able to get early check in but only by like an hour and I did ask if I could wait by the pool but by then my room was ready. Please remember this is a smaller hotel so while you may be able to get early check in at a bigger hotel that has plenty of room you may not be able to at a smaller place with less rooms. So all in all please don't let other reviewers and their personal problems prevent you from booking the hotel. While I understand some people have special medical needs I think it should be their responsibility to take care of the needs rather than expecting a small family owned hotel to take care of it for them. The owner take GREAT pride in making sure this is a clean and peaceful place for people to relax in so unless you plan on having a huge party at 3am you will really enjoy this place. It is in the center of everything and literally across the street from the beach.

Thanks!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rebecca K
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the worse! It charges $10 per extra person, the rooms are outdated and they smelled of mildew! The owner seemed nice over the phone but then shortly I noticed all she cared about was money and not making sure her customers were satisfied. I will never return to this hotel and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Brandon G
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
The Alamar Resort Inn has a policy that all guests must be 21 unless they are traveling with a
parent or guardian and this policy is posted on our website. This person was under 21 and we were not able to rent a room to them. This person was not a guest at the hotel and never entered the property.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

this was our third stay at the Alamar. The rooms are Very clean and spacious. We take our dog when we travel and found the owner very accomodating. She takes great pride in her hotel to ensure that the guest are comfortable and have a family environment. Entire area is very clean and well kept. GREAT PLACE TO STAY!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank robert g
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words . It is always a pleasure to see you !
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We came in July 2013. Yes the review is late but I tried my best to get this place out of my mind. When scheduling our summer trip for this year I thought about it again and would like to warn whoever I can to stay away from this place!!! I should have listened to the other reviews. Yes they are very nice over the phone when you are 1000 miles away. But it's a whole nother ball game when you get there. And amazing how a few reviews down the owner does not address the air conditioning issue but just that her hotel policy is $10 per extra person. This is definitely not a resort. This is an overpriced controlling privately owned crap hotel.
Let me tell you about my stay.
Im a cheer coach and needed a place off the main strip that was a larger room to get my cheerleaders ready. I have 100 girls but only some needed my help to get ready. We were coming in town for cheer nationals. I'm 28 but was unfortunately diagnosed with colon cancer and undergoing chemotherapy during that time. When we booked the hotel we also booked another room as my brother and his wife had my niece on the team so they stayed at the same hotel. We checked in and went to our room on the second floor. Only to find out they had booked us next to my brother. No problem. The problem came that the template controls were in his room. So if we were hot-which I was a lot because of the chemo medicine that we had to ask them to turn their air down too and that's not acceptable!!! We paid full price for two rooms. Basically they had stick us in a connecting room with no air control! Absolutely not!! When we went back to the front desk the owner acted as though I was inconveniencing her. Finally after long deliberation she moved us. The room was okay but not updated. Which was no big deal. This was not our vacation. We were leaving after the competition to head over to Myrtle Beach to stay at an actual resort. After unloading all of our luggage I walked down to park the car. My mom Amd my aunt had surprised me knowing I was weak and tired from the chemo to get the girls ready Amd help me with my 4 year old. My mom offered to get a room but I told her that was silly since we had already rented a one bedroom with a pullout sofa. My husband, myself, and I in the king bed as I had planned and my mom and aunt could stay on the pullout sofa. My little brother had come too but he was staying with a friend of ours on the beach. He was just coming to our room to hand with us for the day. I went to the front desk to ask where my mom could park and the owner tells me no guests are allowed. It's $10 per person per day! Plus $10 per parking if there was room when we came back. If there was not room she would have to find her own parking and no refund on her $10 parking she paid for? I get it I read the policy. Extra guests extra money but have a little compassion. It wasn't about the money really. It was about the atmosphere and attitude of the whole place. I didn't want to give h the extra money. I would rather give it to the homeless guess roaming around outside the hotel.
This is the best part. I was telling one of the cheerleaders to meet me at my room at 9am to put her hairpiece and bow in and the owner waited until I was off the call and reminded me that no guests were allowed and its $10 per visitor!! So needless to say I did not even get to get the girls ready. We used another parents room down the street and they had paid way less for their room and not micromanaged the whole time they were there. I know this owner thinks she is doing herself a favor but all she is doing is making guests never want to return! Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this place!

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Cheermama1985
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
The Alamar Resort Inn is a privately owned hotel in the resort area of Virginia Beach and our
focus is on providing a family environment for our guests.

This guest booked for the cheerleading competition weekend which is a sold out weekend every year. Our rates are based on the number of guests, with a maximum of 4 guest per room, and, includes 1 parking space. This guest booked a two bedroom suite which is a suite that adjoins with a standard room. After checking in, this guest wanted to change her room, and , we were happy to accommodate, and , did so as quickly as we could on such a very busy weekend. We tried our very best to please this guest and fulfilled every request that was made.

We have rules and policies in place in order to maintain a family environment. We are very protective of our family environment , and, it is our right, and, responsibility to know who is on the property at all times. We have many repeat guests and many referrals because The Alamar Resort Inn is dedicated to maintaining a clean. quiet and family oriented hotel.
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have stayed at the Alamar many times and it is the only place we stay at when visiting Virginia Beach. Our family loves the clean, quiet rooms and the salt water pool is perfect for when we come back from a day at the beach. The owners have always been very attentive and professional and do what ever they can to make our stay great. Highly recommend !!

Room Tip: Owners can help with restaurant recommendations and things to do.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sara M
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us , again, and for your kind words!
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We usually stop at VA Beach for a night or two on the way to the OBX. I chose the Alamar because it was pet friendly. There were not a lot of hotels to chose from due to it being The Neptune Festival. We arrived at 12:45. Check in is at 3. I was told I could not check in until 3. Ok, I get the fact that it is clearly stated on the website that check in is at 3. I guess I 'am just used to all the other hotels I have stayed at in the past in VA Beach being more than happy to let us check in a couple hours early. Here's the kicker: When I asked if we could hang out by the pool for a while before check in, I was told no. I then asked "you just saw my reservation on your computer so I 'am obviously staying here & I can't sit by the pool until check in. Her reply was "I'm sorry, but I don't make the rules.
After finally checking in, I found out what a pain parking turned out to be. There is only parking for a few cars in front of the hotel. You can park in front of the hotel for 15 minutes to check in/unload. If you are not able to get a parking place in front you have to park in their lot about a 100 feet or so down the street. No big deal. Here's the kicker to this one. They don't give you any type of parking pass to put in your vehicles window. I was lucky enough to get the last parking space in this lot. I find it hard to believe every vehicle in this lot was staying at the hotel, especially with Neptune Festival taking place. So I asked the question about why there are no parking passes to hang from your vehicles mirror. I was told that they used to do that but they don't any more. I then asked "how do you know if every car in the lot is staying at this hotel?" Her reply was "there is a sign that says Alamar Resort parking only" I'm sure that will really deter people from parking there, especially during weekend events.
Now for the room. Actually, the room was decent. There is no elevator. Fortunately we had a room on the first floor & were only there for 1 night. We didn't have to take everything into our room. I would not want to be on the 2nd or 3rd floor & have to lug everything up the stairs. Our only issues with the room were the walls being a little thin especially when a toilet in the next room was flushed. The other issue was when my wife went turn on the air conditioner in the middle of the night, she couldn't find it. There isn't an individual thermostat in every room. We found this a bit archaic.
I would probably not stay here again. I have stayed at the pet friendly Red Roof Inn several blocks away, but I didn't realize it was Neptune Festival when I called them & they were booked up. Next time I will make my reservation earlier with the Red Roof Inn so as to avoid staying at the Alamar "Resort" Inn.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buster2929
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We are always happy to check guests in early whenever possible. As this guest stated, it was
Neptune Festival Weekend, which is a big weekend in Virginia Beach, and, we were sold out.
However, their room was prepared and ready for them at 2:30. We were pleased to be able to have the room ready early for this guest.

We always want to do whatever we can to make our guests stays as
enjoyable and memorable as possible.
maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is out first time in this hotel. We chose this for the price and was pleasantly surprised with the rest of it.
Pros: Location can either be good or bad depending on your needs. Since we came on an off season just for the Neptune Festival, this location is perfect. It is close enough to the beach (2 blocks) yet far away from all the noise. I would not stay here in the summer when we intend to swim because it will be a hike to bring all beach stuff and my family likes to wake up to the sound of the waves and eat breakfast on an oceanfront balcony. The customer service was excellent. The rooms does not have individual AC but the thermostat was adjusted whem we requested. I cant imagine what they do when theres a lot of guests with different comfort level on thermostat. This hotel is within walking distance on everything. 7-11 is a block away. The room has a fridge and microwave. Bring your own utensils.
Con: nothing major. The room has thin walls. The sound of toilet flushing next door sounded like it was from our room. No elevator either! Hike to the third floor!!! Again, we were there for two nights so we didnt have a lot of luggage or beach stuff. I can imagine this will be a problem on peak season or longer stay. No private balcony but a commin balcony facing the pool right outside our door.
Overall we enjoyed our stat. We will probably come back for next year's Neptune Festival. Probably not for the summer...

• Stayed September 2013