“AN INTENTIONAL FAMILY HOTEL”
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #66 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Tina, her husband, & the staff go above and beyond to make this "hotel" a safe, quiet, comfortable, relaxing, family friendly spot. Genuinely good people who are concerned about their guests and want to help provide a good experience away from home. No worries here about other guest being loud or partying going on till early morning....it is NOT tolerated. There is an after hours # provided and if there are ANY ISSUES they absolutely want you to call. Even before we arrived or checked in Tina made extra effort to help, I contacted her last minute looking for a place to stay since we had found out about our reserved hotel possibly having bed bugs. By the time we arrived we had spoken several times on the phone and I felt like I was meeting an old friend. Unfortunately I experienced some drama during my stay that had nothing to do w/the hotel and Tina was available to help control and resolve the situation immediately and in my opinion that is going above and beyond. I also experienced fraud on my CC account and she was more than accommodating to help resolve that situation as well. Stayed in a suite w/kitchenette (full size fridge, oven/stove top, dining table, sleeper sofa, queen bed, 1 bath, VERY CLEAN. Service is impeccable from the girls who help w/the front office as well as service the rooms to the friendly owners who take the time to talk to the guests and make them feel welcome. I enjoyed being able to sit on the balcony outside my room or on the roof top above the office...which has a beautiful view of the carnival. 16th st is just 2 blocks from one of the main entrances to the beach front which is then only a block from the pier. Location is PERFECT!!!! I would strongly suggest that anyone who has a negative complaint about this hotel and it's owners are not willing to abide by the rules which are in place to make this hotel a family spot. Meaning, if you are looking to be up extra late have extra visitors, get a little loud or rowdy to blow off steam....please look elsewhere.......If you are looking for a place to offer you comfort, safety, family time, relaxing quiet time.....this is your place, and by all means if you desire to have a few adult beverages, go ahead.....many of the guests did during my stay....it's simply not a place to have a party. Tina, I can never express my gratitude for all you did for myself and girls during our stay.....you were truly a blessing, thank you again!!!

Room Tip: Only a suggestion, if you plan on cooking in more than dining out and you have the suite with a kitc...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cmwill
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your very kind words. We enjoyed you and your girls and it was our honor to have you stay with us.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I actually had a room on the beach front and it sucked. And I was driving away from the beach and two blocks away I found this. A Diamond in the rough! I HAD ALL READY SPENT 700 THAT WAS NONE REFUNDING AT THE ECONO LODGE. And was going to return home but for my 2 children and 3 nieces and nephews back to school vaction. I had to find something else and thanks to the Alamar Inn we was able to stay another Three days for a very low cost to be so close to the beach (259). We had a small apartment that was just like home. We had a Queen size bed, sofa bed, dining room and small kitchen. Yes the queen was comfortable and the boys had no complaints on the sofa bed. The bathroom room was clean and up to date. The room was clean and the front desk was very nice and helpful. So was the cleaning lady. Yes this is a family place, I and other family's enjoyed the pool and the hop skip and jump to the beach front we walked to everyday. This was a very nice hotel to stay at and I will do it again and again!

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you so much for staying us and for your kind words. It a pleasure having you and your family at The Alamar. We look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My girlfriend and I just returned from VA Beach for my birthday celebration and stayed at this lovely hotel. The Alamar is small, friendly, family-owned hotel located on a quiet street/neighborhood off the strip. The owners (Tina and her husband) and staff were friendly, caring, very accommodating, and to my surprise wished me a Happy Birthday. The hotel is small so they're able to know their guest and make you feel welcome. The hotel property and the rooms are extremely clean. The room was a nice size and the carpet was the cleanest hotel carpet I've seen in a very long time. In addition to the pool area, there is a spot for socializing with tables/umbrellas and comfortable seating with great views of the carnival area on the boardwalk; very nice at night with all the lights.

I was there this past weekend when the person that wrote the earlier review was asked to leave. The owners of the hotel have their policies in place for a reason; to keep their establishment nice, family friendly, and not to put their guests at risk. The owners called the police as a last resort after the people became loud and unruly when questioned about the additional people in the room and using the hotel pool and facilities without being a paying guest. When you're traveling you want to feel safe. I was already very happy and pleasantly surprised by this small gem. Tina, her husband, and staff stock went up 100% in my book by the way they handled this incident.

I would highly recommend and since returning three days ago have recommended The Alamar to my friends. Whenever I'm in the VA Beach area, I will only stay at The Alamar Resort.

Tracey H

Room Tip: If you have kids the first floor is nice because it's around the pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you , so much for staying with us and choosing The Alamar for your birthday. We truly appreciate your kind words and appreciation of our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I can't express how terrible this experience was. If I could go back in time, I would have rather stayed in my car. It was 4 of us and since the moment we checked in, the lady in the office was watching us like a hawk. She immediately called the room and asked how many ppl there was in the room. Then she had us all come to the office and show ID that we were 21 and older. She made a copy of our licenses too, who does that? Any time any of us stepped outside the room she would stare us down like we were Americas most wanted. We paid about $500 for two nights, but after about an hour of feeling real uncomfortable we went in the office to ask to cancel. They said no refunds, we asked that they refund the 2nd night and we would only stay one night and she said no. Either way we only stayed one night because she called the police and had us kicked out when we wanted to bring our other friends in the room because it had started raining real bad. Even the cop knew we weren't in the wrong but not much he could do since the lady wanted us out. She started lying to the cop saying we were doing this and that. She is extremely unprofessional. I work in business management and honesty cannot fathom how this place exists. Customer service is non existent, the room itself is damp, small, and distasteful. The guy who claimed to be the owner wasn't even around until the cop came up and he was also telling the cop things about our group.

Anyway, please people if you have to pay more for another hotel, do it. We ended up getting another hotel that was about 5 mintues away driving but it was much better and also next to a beach. This place is a wreck and it ruined a weekend that was supposed to be all about spending time with family and having fun.

• Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Dennis L
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

The Alamar Resort Inn is a small, privately owned hotel with 22 rooms and suites. We offer
a quiet, clean and family oriented environment and we have rules and policies in place to
maintain that environment. It is our right , and , in fact, our responsibility to do our best
to maintain that environment. Our policies are posted on our website and it states that
all guests must be over 21 or traveling with a parent or guardian so photo ID's
were checked to verify that these guests were all 21 years old.

On our check-in form, guests are asked to read our policies that clearly state that
we do not allow parties or unregistered guests. This guest read and signed this
form. Unfortunately, this guest became intoxicated and disruptive , and , brought several
additional friends with plans to have 15 friends to celebrate his birthday.
When we asked the unregistered guests to leave the property, this guest became
abusive and refused. At that point , they had to be escorted off of the property
by police.

We are a family oriented hotel and while we never want this kind of situation to
happen , we have a responsibility to our other guests to ensure that they have
the enjoyable and peaceful vacation that they expected and paid for .

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Alamar for six nights..over the 4th of July holiday. We love to travel and both agree that this was one of our most relaxing and enjoyable beach vacations ever!
The place is EMACULATE!! The owners are very courteous and we really enjoyed meeting and talking to them. The fact that they allow small pets is wonderful! Being the animal lovers that we are and leaving our furry baby at home we loved having the dogs there! Our room was always cleaned and we always had fresh linens! We absolutely loved that fact that the owners actually set forth rules and expectations for guests!! We went for a peaceful and relaxing vacation....NOT a party scene or a place with wild children!!So..if you need to put a leash on your kids instead of you dog...this may not be the place for you!! The pool was heavenly!! Just a short walk from the beach and back far enough from the main strip...VERY PEACEFUL!!The AC was incredible!! We loved staying there so much that I have already booked another vacation with them in a few weeks with my niece!
I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Alamar!! We will definitely go back.....many times I am sure! I have already told family and friends about this wonderful place!
Keep up the good work y'all!!
We will be back!! Larry and Michelle Stullenburg

Room Tip: We had a the end room on the third floor! Great room. I am sure that all of the rooms are just as ni...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind words. We enjoyed you both so much and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Ok so I recently stayed in this hotel and just feel that it needs a little bit of redemption because previous reviewers did this place injustice by writing the reviews they did. My boyfriend booked this place for himself, my sister and I. We range in ages from 23 to 32. Before booking we did read the reviews and honestly didn't really care. Most of them discuss the owner and how unpleasant she is and even though I did'nt experience this I wouldn't have cared if I did because all I was concerned about was the cleanliness.

So let me tell you this is the cleanest hotel you will EVER stay at and have ever stayed at. I have stayed in some awful hotels and I have stayed at some of the most expensive hotels and this place was immaculate. None of the reviewers ever said anything about it being dirty but for me I don't really care about much as long as it is clean. There was not a speck of dirt or even a granule of sand in this place. Not in the corners, not in the shower and not even in the pull out sofa. With that being said if your looking for a clean place this is a safe bet.

Onto the owner. I know exactly who the previous reviewers are referring to because she is the main lady in the office but I did not find this to be true. Now maybe it was because I didn't have any problems with the hotel but she was actually more than accommodating a friendly to us. Even randomly came over to our room to ask if there was anything we needed. Now again... I didn't need any special pillows, or wasn't trying to cram a team of cheerleaders into my room and also didn't trash the place during my stay. Bottom line if your respectful to the hotel then she will be respectful to you...but I feel like that goes with any place you stay at. So if you are a family staying here or a group of friends who aren't young, obnoxious, late night partiers then this is your place.

Onto the room itself and the facilities. Like I said the room itself honestly for me could'nt have been any better. It was clean, spacious and had everything I needed. One reviewer wrote they had to request for towels. Now I highly doubt there were no towels in the room at all I just believe they had to ask for me...as did I. There were 3 of us in the room and 4 towels. I usually use 2 each time so all I did was place a phone call and asked for more towels. Which... again I have had to do at every place Ive stayed at ranging from NYC to Las Vegas. Yes the room is out dated as one person wrote but it is a regular beach hotel what do you expect. Its not some big fancy resort on the beach its your everyday beach hotel. So it is outdated but clean! And by out dated I mean it had wall paper. Big deal. As for the smell of mildew I did not smell this and I would think that I would have because I have a sensitive nose to things like that but I didn't. The place even had a dishwasher! I personally did'nt use the pillows because I am very particular about my pillows and bring my own everywhere as should you if you are the same way. My sister and boyfriend used them and had no complaints. No there was no elevator but Ive never stayed in a beach hotel like this with an elevator so if you need access to an elevator ask for a 1st floor room. Most people just think they need elevators because we lazy Americans eat to much to be physically able to walk the steps.

So I think I covered it all. I was able to get early check in but only by like an hour and I did ask if I could wait by the pool but by then my room was ready. Please remember this is a smaller hotel so while you may be able to get early check in at a bigger hotel that has plenty of room you may not be able to at a smaller place with less rooms. So all in all please don't let other reviewers and their personal problems prevent you from booking the hotel. While I understand some people have special medical needs I think it should be their responsibility to take care of the needs rather than expecting a small family owned hotel to take care of it for them. The owner take GREAT pride in making sure this is a clean and peaceful place for people to relax in so unless you plan on having a huge party at 3am you will really enjoy this place. It is in the center of everything and literally across the street from the beach.

Thanks!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rebecca K

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the worse! It charges $10 per extra person, the rooms are outdated and they smelled of mildew! The owner seemed nice over the phone but then shortly I noticed all she cared about was money and not making sure her customers were satisfied. I will never return to this hotel and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Brandon G
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

The Alamar Resort Inn has a policy that all guests must be 21 unless they are traveling with a
parent or guardian and this policy is posted on our website. This person was under 21 and we were not able to rent a room to them. This person was not a guest at the hotel and never entered the property.