“Charming place, good location, good value -- Alamar Resort Inn”
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #66 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Lovely distinguished inn located in a nice safe area. Stayed in one of their roomy suites over Memorial Day. This is not one of those typical overwhelmingly large hotels of that area, but is a quaint, sweet place - clean, with nice pool. Located within walking distance - a little over a block - from the main Atlantic Ave shopping and boardwalk. Owners were very nice to deal with and helpful in suggesting good local places. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank vcorb

Reviewed 9 June 2010

This is a great mom and pop run hotel in Virginia Beach. The owners and the staff are all very helpful and polite. There is a good size pool for lazy afternoons, although it might get overcrowded sometimes. The rooms are around and facing the pool, but we didn't experience high levels of noise. There is parking around the corner and also plenty of street parking for the night. Our room came with a kitchenette which is very convenient when you travel with small kids. The supermarket is quite a few blocks away and you definitely need a car to go there. Everything else though (beach, coffee shops, souvenirs, bars, restaurants) is in walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank family_travel66
Reviewed 10 May 2010

4th time staying at the Alamar. As usual, it's clean, quiet, and close to everything. My golfing buddies and I stay here every other year, and we'll definitely be back. Thanks Ernie and Tina.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mocepts
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Stayed for the weekend in april 2010. Enjoyed thoroughly. Although they were in the process of remodeling and getting ready for busy season, the owners were very accomodating and personable. Its a quaint hotel with 22 rooms overlooking a welcoming courtyard where the pool is located. Short walk to beach and everywhere. For the much discounted price for not being oceanfront (we stayed in an oceanfront hotel one night), we would definately stay there again.

1  Thank famjoes
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My husband and I along with our children ages 10 and 16 stayed at the Alamar for 2 nights. We rented a "suite" with a standard adjoining room. Let me start by saying that we love the Alamar and have enjoyed staying at the Alamar for years. The 2nd day that we were there our daughter invited 2 friends to come stay with us. We had 2 rooms with more than enough space and an extra bed so we felt there was no issue. I asked the owner/operator for an extra parking space and the reply was "why?" Not the response I had expected. If you rent 2 rooms can't you get 2 parking passes? I ignored the rude response and said that my daughter had friends coming. We checked out on the 3rd morning and the owner/operator approached my 16 year old and asked if her friends had stayed and did she not know that there is a per person charge? of course my teenager had no idea. She went on to say that she would ignore the extra people this time, but not next time. Guess what? Unfortunately, there will not be a next time for us. We are so sad because this hotel is where we have taken our kids for many years. We did not exceed capacity, were in our rooms by 9pm and were excellent guests. We just felt unwelcome and quite frankly like we were being watched and harrassed. I am sorry to say that the place that we love in Va.Beach because it's only 45 minutes away has a lost very loyal customers..

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank cindyva
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2010

This guest made a reservation for 4 people to stay 2 nights. This guest has visited The Alamar many times and their visits have always been mutually cordial and friendly and this guest has always been very complementary.

On the 2nd day of this most recent visit, this guest asked for an additional parking permit and we were concerned that their original had been lost or damaged. We simply inquired and were told that their daughter's friends were coming for a few hours and we were happy to accomodate. We were not informed that they would stay overnight. We do not allow unregistered guests. All guests must register and pay for their stay

After the 2nd night we saw our guest's car drive away at check-out time. We went into their room to ready it for our next guests and were surprised to find their daughter still in the room as well as her friends who had apparently stayed the night. When a reservation is made rates are based on the number of people staying. I would have discussed this our guest , but, she had already gone. It is important and , in fact, our responsiblity that we know who is in our hotel and well within our rights to inquire if there is any question.

Other than the 2 very brief conversations about the 2nd parking permit and the unregistered guests, this visit was as cordial and friendly as always. We are disappointed to hear this guest's decision and hope that when she gives this more thought she will reconsider.

Reviewed 18 February 2010

Let me tell you my friends and i really enjoyed our stay there. The rooms were very clean, it's a small place with a big heart. The owner and his wife were the best anything we needed they out it for us. Ernie and Tina, let's not forget Bo. This will be my place everytime I come to Virginia Beach. Please go check it out. They have a heated pool, minutes away from the beach.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank jerseybeachgirl45
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I stayed here back in November 2009 based on the fact that I stayed here several years ago with a somewhat pleasant stay. But, despite the nice rate for the room, the stay was plagued with a variety of mishaps and odd smells.

1.) When I attempted to check in, I waited in the lobby for at least 20 minutes until one of the owners and their barking and not-to-friendly dog miraculously appeared from the back room.

2.) While I was waiting, some middle-aged and haggard woman in pajamas and slippers walked into the lobby and asked where the owners were. I said I was wondering the same thing. She then proceeded to cough violently for about 5 minutes while lounging on the sofa. Obviously, this was a long-term renter at the "resort". I tend to be a bit skeptical about privately-owned hotels/motels that rent long-term. Not the greatest environment.

3.) The parking is bad as well. There are only 4 spaces in front of the hotel. There is also a parking lot about a half block away , but it is dimly lit, littered with trash, and overgrown with shrubs and trees. Not very nice.

4) When I finally checked into my room, it seemed okay, until I tried to turn on the floor lamp. Found out that socket was dead. And before anyone asks, yes, I do know how to turn on a lamp whether or not it is turned on via a wall switch or directly from the lamp. Then I turned on the lamp on the nightstand only to find a heavily-cracked lampshade. I really love how The Alamar's web site says, "The Alamar Resort Inn has large luxurious, beautiful suites which are tastefully decorated with only the finest furnishings". Yeah right, so high class!!!

5.) And don't believe the web site's claim that "our rooms have individually controlled central heat and air conditioning". There is no thermostat in the rooms and you have to call down to the front desk to have them regulate it. This room did not have an individual thermostat and management confirmed this when I called down to complain about the temperature of the room.

6.) At around 10:00 PM or so, I was lying in bed and noticed a peculiar smell coming from the adjoining suite doors between my room and the room next to me. I couldn't tell if it was incense or some unusual type of tobacco. Whatever it was, my entire room smelled of it all night. Reeked!!!

7.) When I attempted to check-out at 9AM, the door to the lobby was locked and a note on the door saying to call this number for after-hours service. It was 9 AM, not really after hours. When I called the number, I must have woke up one of the owners. I had to just toss my key in the hotel's mailbox.

During my stay, the lack of interest and enthusiasm from the owners tells me that they really do not care about its patrons. The Alamar should be avoided by ALL travelers. I'd rather sleep in my car at the nearby 7-11.

One last laugh I want to share with you is another quote from The Alamar's web site, "Experience the incomparable luxury and fineness equaled only in the best of European accommodations." Wow, they need to stop their false advertising and really change the wallpaper. It looks like it was a reclaim from the set of The Partridge Family!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
13  Thank ripcurled1
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2010

This guest chose to return to our hotel for his second stay and all seemed well while he was here. Therefore, this review took us completely by surprise. We would very much like to respond to each and every comment contained in this review.

1). This guest arrived much later than we expected and we were not certain that he was still coming since he failed to call. When he arrived we happened to be in the back office for a few minutes. We were away only for a few minutes and certainly no where near 20 minutes.

2). During the off season- Mid-October -March 31- we do have guests who are with us for extended stays, but, at no time is there ever anyone outside of their room in their pajamas and slippers. Certainly whether or not a guest coughs is well beyond our control. The Alamar Resort Inn Hotel maintains a quiet, clean, attractive and safe environment year-round. As a result we have many repeat guests and referrals.

3). Our hotel parking is two-fold. Directly in front of the hotel there are 4 permanent spaces and 4 check-in spaces. Our large parking lot is 75 feet from the main entrance. The statement that our parking lot is a half block away is simply not true. Our parking lot is landscaped with trees and bushes around it's perimeter, is well lit and cleaned regularly. There are 3 city street lights directly in front of the parking lot and 2 more within the parking lot.

4). The lamp is this guest's room was in good working order. The switch near the door has to be turned on as well as the switch on the lamp itself. If this guest had contacted us, we would have been happy to assist him. Our rooms are comfortable, clean and and attractive and we receive many complements on them. This guest was not in a suite, but, was in a standard room.

5). This guest was in a room that is part of a two- bedroom suite. This guest never contacted us about the temperature in his room. The statement that he did is untrue,

6). The Alamar Resort Inn Hotel is a completely smoke-free establishment. If this guest had let us know that someone was smoking, we would have remedied the situation immediately. This guest did not contact us regarding anyone smoking.

7). This guest was informed of our check-out procedures in detail when he checked in.

This guest was here for a total of 16 hours. When he checked in we were very cordial and we were available to this guest at any time. He never chose to contact us.

The Alamar's decor and furnishings are in the Queen Anne Style. Having stayed at the hotel previously , this guest knew the look and style of the rooms. The fact that he returned indicates that he found it acceptable. We do care very much about our guest's stays and making them as enjoyable and memorable as possible.