“Nothing to complain about - great stay”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
North Carolina
“Nothing to complain about - great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Where to begin! This was by far one of the nicest beachfront hotels we have stayed in. Since this was a winter beach trip, it was very quiet and parking spaces were plentiful as was space to sit in the breakfast area. (I imagine this may not be the case in the summer months) We had a room on the 6th floor with a king sized bed and sofa. Most impressed by the cleanliness of the room and added extras in the bathroom. Always love a room with exhaust fan in bathroom and thermostat for control of heat/ari in bedroom area. 4 electrical outlets in bathroom, waist high countertop, 4 towels, 4 washcloths and 2 handtowels, 3 garmet hooks on wall, curved shower curtian rod, no mold in tub area. Even had a plastic soap dish on the counter so the soap didn't slide all around. Microwave and fridge were clean. Nice balcony area with 2 chairs and small table. Fantastic view of the ocean. Helpful that they have little rustic type photos beside each room number so if anyone is traveling with you that has a hard time remembering numbers they can remember which photo is beside the door. Large flat screen tv, nice clock radio with plug for MP3 player. Hallways were well lit and clean-not smelly at all. Even the stairways were heated and required a room keycard to enter the hotel hallway from the stairs. Breakfast area had 3 waffle irons and good arrangement of seating to accomodate large groups that may want to eat together. Really nice, friendly lady worked the breakfast room the day we were there. We definitely plan to stay there again when in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best view and less noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WolfpackFan4ever
Hampton1011, General Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you for your comments. We love it when guests share their experience in our hotel! The South end of the beach is typically quieter year-round. Our parking garage offers onsite complimentary parking for all guests and our team works hard to ensure the hotel is clean and comfortable. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Big THANKS to all of the staff at this hotel. We have stayed many times as our daughter lives in VA Beach while her husband serves in the military. Bambi checked us in during the last visit & was great to bring a smile to everyones face after a long road trip. The girl who runs the breakfast bar(can't remember her name) was great also making sure food was hot & ready.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thomas Z
Thank you for your comments regarding some of our team members. I will pass your comments along to Bambi and Sandy, our Breakfast Supervisor. Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Oceanfront South!
Lewisburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

All room have an ocean view. The hotel borders the bike trail and board walk.

Staff was friendly and competent. Above average Hampton Inn complimentary breakfast. Room and bed were comfortable.

Two out of the three machines in the fitness room did not work. Everything worked well in the guest business office.

Tap Room - music and food - are geared to a young crowd. Wouldn't want a second floor room over the bar.

Big draw back is the only wi-fi in the hotel is in the breakfast room. Manager said they had talked about expanding it to other floors.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Central CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

The good results - breakfast, location, parking garage, the view - met our expectations for Hampton Inn. I enjoyed sitting in the dining room in the afternoon with a cup of coffee. The breakfast staff are very nice and keep everything well-stocked.

The not so good results - in no particular order. None of these issues ruined our one-night stay. We did not report these issues as we observed them late night and we were staying for only one night. We used Hhonors points for this reservation and selected premium but there was no premium view from Room 602 that was different from the other floors and there was nothing special about this room. When we checked in, Bambi explained she moved us from the room that was intended for us because it was not cleaned yet so we assumed we were getting a room comparable to the initial assigned room. I have no idea what we missed but these are the problems in Room 602. We heard the TV and some conversation from the neighboring room through the set of 'adjoining room' doors. The closet has only one shirt rack and no rack for coats/longer garments. The closet door did not close completely. The light in the bathroom makes crackling noises. The refrigerator fan makes clunking noises when it turns on and off. The toilet splashed water out of the bowl several times when flushed creating a mess that I cleaned up. I gave this list of problems to the front desk clerk when we checked out. He gave my list a cursory look and did not care to discuss the problems with me. Frankly, I expected some acknowledgement from the hotel or Hhonors program but have not heard from anyone since our stay. I hope someone reacted to our issues and fixed these problems for future guests.

Room Tip: Avoid 'adjoining' rooms if you don't need them.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seabird0855
Hampton1011, General Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel. We welcome the opportunity to continually improve our services.

I personally checked the room you mentioned. Our premium view rooms are noted as such due to the higher floors (“standard” view are floors 2-4), additional bath amenities, DVD player and popcorn. All of our king rooms do have an adjoining door, but noise complaints are very rare.

Regarding the maintenance issues, I did find where the Guest Service Agent at the desk detailed your concerns for our maintenance team. They have corrected the items mentioned.

Our Housekeeping department in continually trained to bring maintenance issues to our attention prior to another guest arrival and I apologize if these items disturbed you.

Again, thank you for your comments. They will be used fro ongoing staff training.
Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

When we checked in the front desk upgraded our room to ocean view on the 4th floor. It was a perfect getaway location during our son's soccer tournement. The Room was perfectly clean and tidy. The staff was very perfessional and helpful when we asked about a place to eat dinner. The complementry breakfast was fresh and convienient. We would reccomend this property to all who visit our great state for a vacation!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have a great view of the ocean and the boardwalk. Fun for people watching!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank John C
Thank you for sharing your comments and I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay. Rooms on floors 2-4 are considered "standard" view, while floors 5-10 are "premium" view and include DVD players, upgraded bath amenities and popcorn. All rooms in the hotel are oceanfront with private balconies for watching the dolphins play in teh morning!
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Pros:We stayed at this hotel right after hurricane Irene. We had booked a two queen bed with premium view. My husband requested if we could have a king bed room, Bambi (at the front desk) changed the room for us. Checking in and checking out was a breeze. The hotel has amazing views, we watched the sunrise every morning from bed, also we saw dolphins, every day we stayed there, from our balcony. Room was super clean. It's little bit more expensive than the other hotels in the area but was definitely worth it.
Cons:They offer a free breakfast buffet, however everyday the eggs had some kind of bacon or ham in it. My husband and I are allergic to pork so we couldn't enjoy it. My suggestions will be that they serve scrambles or sunny side up eggs and PLEASE put the ham and bacon on another tray so that those who a allergic to it or for religious reason can eat pork, can also enjoy it breakfast.
Other wise great hotel, We are returning at the end of april 2012. It was a great trip so we made it our yearly destination :). If you want to eat the most delicious steamed crabs, steamed shrimps and she crab soup, stop by "The dockside restaurant", it"s about 10 minutes from the hotel, the best seafood place in Virginia Beach. We cant wait to go back in April.

Room Tip: floors 5 and up have great views!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maria b
Hampton1011, General Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for braving Virginia Beach after our hurricane! I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. For breakfast, our eggs rotate between a plain scramble, scramble with ham and cheese, a plain cheese omelet and an omelet with veggies and ham. Like all Hampton Inn’s, we are given guidelines that can not be changed. We do switch the options out daily however so there is a variety. When you visit us again, if there is an item on the buffet that contains ham, please ask a breakfast attendant to fix up a small amount of plain scramble. They will be happy to do so.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

This hotel was nice and conveniently located near the beach. The hotel offered parking in its very own parking garage and if I recall correctly, it cost approximately $12 per day or less.

Pros: A) Courteous and Professional Staff
B) Complimentary Breakfast
C) Clean beds and Clean rooms

Upon our arrival, the staff was very straight to the point, courteous and helpful, so no complaints whatsoever on this. I was delighted to know that this hotel offered complimentary breakfast. They offered foods such as: Waffles, cold cereal, coffee, muffins, scrambled eggs, hash browns, and or bacon. Everything is self-service. You just walk in the eating area and either prepare (waffles) your own food, or scoop it onto your plate. They have a clean up staff there who also work the kitchen area if you have any questions or concerns.

The room service was adequate and our room was always clean; if we requested room service. Most days, we had the do not disturb sign on the door, so they would not service our room unless we took it off and granted their request when they knocked on the door.

Cons: A) The Indoor/Outside Pool Area
B) the Gym

As me and my hubby were leaving the parking garage, we observed beneath us from the 2nd floor garage view, a beautiful pool. There were people laughing, sun bathing, and jumping in and out the pool; they had a bar and big blue umbrella's for the chairs for vacationers to sit in poolside to enjoy their drinks!!! I thought, wow, this is like being on an Island somewhere!!!

So before we left the garage, I told my husband that we were coming back to hang out at the pool afterwards.

When returning back from the mall, we rushed back to our room to put our bathing gear on. We took the elevator downstairs and walked to the end of the hall; all the while, following the signs which indicated we were headed in the direction to the pool. To our dismay, we were lead to an Inside pool, which was very small. I thought the inside pool was for kids only, it was so small and there were adults helping their kids to swim (Nothing wrong with this, but seeing it gave me the idea it was for kids only.)

We walked around for several minutes and then finally went to the front desk receptionist to inquire about how to get to the outside pool; that's when we were told, "Sorry, there isn't an outside pool". We were told that the pool attached to the hotel was the property of The Marriott Hotel, which was right next door!!!! DISAPPOINTMENT #1 !!!!

On another day, me and my husband decided that we would do an early morning work out before being beach bums for the remainder of the day. We used our hotel key to access the gym. Once inside, we found a few pieces of balled up paper towels on the floor (apparently some guest used the gym but didn't clean up after themselves). I can understand that gym equipment can gain some wear and tear over time, but this equipment was broken. The elliptical machine didn't work; meaning no lights came on, but I was able to just jog in place and get a mini work out on it. The treadmill made strange noises when I tried to use it on an incline. I was scared it was going to explode!!! DISAPPOINTMENT #2!!!!

Unfortunately, my knees aren't in great shape, so that's why I preferred using the gym equipment rather than just working out on the board walk.

I enjoyed my stay, but I will more likely try another hotel with better selections for services & amenities (Outside pool and better gym). Other than that, I would stay here again if I did not have better alternatives because staying here was sufficient enough.

I hope this review is helpful to you!!!!

Room Tip: Do not room near elevator door!!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelista22
Hampton1011, General Manager at Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. We like hearing what went right, as well as opportunities to improve our service.

Our onsite parking garage is complimentary for one vehicle per room. Additional vehicles are charged $10 due to the restrictions on the oceanfront.

The Springhill pool was built before our hotel was constructed. Our lot size did not allow for an outdoor pool, so the smaller one you referenced was constructed inside. While we do not have an outdoor cabana, we do have a full service restaurant serving the largest variety of microbrews on the oceanfront called the 11th St. Tap House.

I apologize the gym equipment was not functional. Like a lot of commercial equipment, parts are not readily available. Regrettably, a guest damaged the board display on the elliptical and we had to special order a replacement. It has been repaired. The treadmill had an issue with the motor and the company replaced the entire machine last week, so all equipment is operational.

Again, thank you for your comments. They will be shared with our team.