Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Belmont Inn & Suites(Virginia Beach)
View Hotel
Seashire Inn & Suites(Virginia Beach)
View Hotel
Barclay Towers Resort Hotel(Virginia Beach)
View Hotel
Beach Carousel Motel(Virginia Beach)
1,242 results
All reviewsfront deskparking garagethe breakfast areaindoor poolfree breakfastbreakfast staffsouth endocean viewyogurtvirginia beach oceanfronthot breakfastoff seasonclean hoteleach morningnice staybeds were comfortablefamily vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2009

This Hampton Inn is the newest hotel in Virginia Beach. The standard rooms had two double beds, desk & chair, dresser with TV and table. The bathroom had a tall vanity with shelf underneath and hooks on the wall. There were plenty of places to store things, including a closet. All rooms are oceanfront with balconies. The balcony had 2 chairs and a table. They charge an extra $10 per room for "premium view", which seemed to be the 5th floor and above. The balcony had 2 chairs and a table.

The free breakfast was good and had more choices than other Hampton Inns we've stayed - it offered fruit, breads, muffins, danishes, cereals and some type of hot items each day. There is also a coffee station in the lobby that was always available. The breakfast staff were very friendly and constantly stocking everything.

The pool is small but our famliy of 8 was able to swim with other families. However, most of the time we had the pool to oureselves. While we were there they added benches for seating which was a big improvement.

The fitness center has a treadmill, elliptical machine, bike and weights. We used the treadmill and it was pretty good.

The hotel is located with direct access to the beach. There is a shower to wash off on the boardwalk. Bike rentals are right next to the hotel. And, there is a playground on the beach directly in front of the hotel.

The parking lot is 5 levels with plenty of spaces. The ramps are the same for going up and down and are very tight around the turns. That is one of the only complaints that we had.

This hotel seems to be located in a quieter section of the strip. There is a coffee house and small ice cream shop directly across the street. There are also a few restaurants and stores within a short walking distance. There is a Subway/Dippin Dots a half a block away.

All of the hotel staff were friendly. Some of the front desk workers are still a little "new" and need some more experience.

Overall we had a great stay and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Moved from a dirty/filthy hotel to this Hampton and were lucky they had rooms available. We are very hard to please and cleanliness is most important to us. The room we had was on the 7th floor premium oceanfront room.....very spacious, great view, very clean, our beds were very comfortable. The staff was very friendly, curteous and went out of their way to make sure our stay was nice. The breakfast is acceptable and the breakfast area was very nice and clean. Yes, the indoor pool is small (not important to us because you have the entire OCEAN at the front door). Yes there are only 2 elevators for 10 floors (we were on vacation so I wasn't in a hurry). There are so many more positives than negatives to this hotel. We will return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank KCG62
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel from 8/12 - 8/17/09. I was a little scared after some of the less than positive comments but we really loved this hotel. The positives are the excellent location, ocean views, free breakfast (which had an excellent and attentive staff), friendly staff, brand new rooms, nice big flat screen TV's, separate vanity area outside the bath, nice decor, easy parking, etc. The only real negative and this was just really a minor annoyance was the housekeeping. I'll agree with another reviewer that I'm not sure they have enough staff. We always go to the beach from about 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. That should be enough time for the housekeeping staff to get in and out but on several days we returned to our room and they had not been there yet. Hopefully that will improve. We have been coming to the oceanfront for about 12 years now and have stayed in at least 6 different hotels. This one was the nicest we have stayed in for the price we paid. The pool and exercise area were very small so if the pool is something you are going to use alot, you should go elsewhere. I just never use the pool when the ocean is right outside my door and I never use the exercise room when the great boardwalk is right outside your door for jogging, skateboarding, cycling, etc. The internet access was high speed, it just was not wireless which was fine for us. Hopefully by the time we return next year they will have added beach/oceanfront access from the rear of the hotel and an outdoor dining area would also be great! Overall, we loved this hotel (especially the morning breakfast room staff who were the best!) and as long as they don't increase the prices a lot after this first year, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Virginia Beach South and were very disappointed. To be fair I will start with the pros. You will not be reading long because there are not many of them. At over $300 a night I expected SO MUCH MORE.

PROS
The staff was very friendly and polite. It is not their fault they have to work in a hotel that has a lot of problems.

The hotel was oceanfront.

Free Breakfast is always nice

CONS

The hotel pool is very tiny and by tiny I mean about the size of my bathtub. Swimming in an indoor pool the size of my bathtub with about 15 people is.... weird and creepy. The pool was always super crowded and had no fresh towels. Normal beach hotels have lots of outdoor pools, lazy rivers, water slides, and kiddie pools.

Our view was Terrible! We paid the same $320 per night for oceanfront as everyone else and we could not hardly see the ocean. We had to look over a very ugly roof to even see the ocean. The only way we could see the ocean was by standing on the balcony (on our tippy toes) to look out over the roof to see the ocean. We were on the 2nd floor and normally this would not be a problem but at this hotel it was.

The Beds were very hard. I was so shocked because Hampton has built its name on their soft but supportive beds. Not the case at this Hampton. It felt like laying on a wooden board.

The next problem was this hotel was not laid out to be at such a major tourist attraction. I have stayed at business Hamptons with nicer breakfast areas. It was so small they had to open the conference room so we had a place to sit.

My last concern was that the hotel's beach is right beside a public beach access. The beach was so crowded you would have thought we were in Miami. This was a big deal since the hotel lacked pools.

My advice for this Hampton would be to follow the Marriott next door. I looked over from the parking garage and they seem to have a nice pool area. I would start digging an outdoor pool because you are about to start loosing lots of business. Next summer I will stay somewhere with better facilities.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family