“Hidden Gem”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Meeting House Rd
Description: The Cellars Restaurant, tucked in the heart of Church Point neighborhood in Virginia Beach, and located in the historic Church Point Manor House, presents fine dining in an intimate setting. Our menu is American regional cuisine, that changes seasonally, and we offer over 160 fine wines. The restaurant is divided, with seating for up to 38 in our elegant main dining room, and a more relaxing mood in our bar and lounge, with fireplaces in both areas. Awarded top spot in Virginia on the 2014 Opentable Diners Choice Awards
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Tucked away in an upscale residential area in Virginia Beach and known primarily to locals, The Cellars is truly a hidden gem. It is located in the basement of an 1860's manor house that now serves as a B&B. The rooms in the restaurant are configured in such a way as to provide a certain amount of privacy, especially for larger parties, and the unobtrusive background music allows for comfortable conversation.

We began our meal with the restaurant's popular ban-ban shrimp, followed by entrees of salmon, veal osso bucco, filet mignon, and ribeye steak. All of our meals were perfectly prepared and generously portioned. Our server, Lisa, was friendly but professional, and was able to offer informed menu and wine recommendations. When they learned we were celebrating a birthday, the restaurant treated each of us to a glass of champagne - a delightful change from the usual cupcake-with-a-candle and the staff singing Happy Birthday.

The food, the service, and the ambiance at The Cellars were all superb, and I would not hesitate to recommend this fine restaurant to others, particularly for a special occasion or romantic dinner.

2  Thank Susan C

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently decided to do dinner at The Cellars based on it's word-of-mouth reputation. In short, I would have to say that this was one of the ultimate dining experiences of a lifetime.
The restaurant is set in an exquisitely beautiful cellar. Very intimate and comforting.
The food was nothing short of sublime. I have enjoyed many experiences of fine dining over many years and in many countries, but this is food heaven! We split the best Oysters Rockefeller we've ever had and a superb Ban Ban Shrimp for appetizers. We ordered the Mahi Mahi and the Scallops for entrees as recommended. Both were again... the best we've ever had. Every dish was innovative and creatively presented. Flavors were beautifully harmonized leading spontaneous exclamations of culinary pleasure. Presentation is indeed everything. Every dish was not just art on a plate, but was substantial in quantity and hugely satisfying.
The service was 5 star and extremely impressive: a seamless segue from course to course without ever missing a beat. Our server Lisa knew everything about the menu and was able to guide us through our 3 course meal with confidence and ease. Her pace was outstanding and we were never in need of anything throughout the night.
The wine selection was massive and impressive. We enjoyed our bottle of Clarendon Hills Syrah. The Peachy Old Fashioned was amazing as was the Milk and Honey dessert drink.
My expectations were high in anticipation of this meal. The Cellars has way over delivered. I cannot wait for my next trip back!

2  Thank Josh B
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Some of the distinguishing features were the location, architecture, Gourmet Chef driven menu, eclectic collection of turn of the century furnishings and of course you're dining in a cellar! This is truly a remarkable restaurant.
The staff is pleasant and efficient and understands what their role is in your experience.
The menu is unique and forces considerable thought before choosing. Whatever you choose I'm confident you will be pleased.
Truly an enjoyable evening to be repeated!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I agree with others about the service in this restaurant....disjointed. Never removing plates until the next course came....having to ask for a knife and a fork after the entrée arrived.....coffee came out warm, not hot, and no desert in sight to enjoy with that coffee. Just things like this make great food less great. They need to train their staff or cut their prices in half!

1  Thank Virginiagirl_12
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was sad to read, that others in February had a unpleasant experience. My husband took me for my birthday to the Cellars. We had a great experience. The concierge greeted us very nicely and brought us to the table. The waitresses and the food was outstanding. I had the ban ban shrimp was excellent. The manager even brought us a glass of champagne for my birthday.

1  Thank nysteffi