“Wonderful experience!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

The staff were all very friendly and accomodating. From the front desk to housekeeping. Very professional. From questions at the front desk about nearby attractions to asking for towels from housekeeping. They Always took time to listen and answer questions. Our tv was tiling the first night and as soon as we mentioned it they fixed it immediately. Everyone who worked there were smiling and friendly. The pool was a delight to our children aged 8, 10 &11. The hotel provides pool towels and they are always kept stocked and the used ones taken away. I even saw the pool man checking the water ph. The facility was nice and clean. The breakfast area was super clean, as was the pool, the elevators and the room. Housekeeping did a wonderful job of cleaning our room and restocking towels everyday. They gave us extra towels and soft pillows when we asked and we didn't have to wait. They have a choice of soft or firm pillows which is awesome! The breakfast which is included was very nice. The food was always restocked when it was out by the kitchen employees who also happened to be very friendly and accomodating. There was something for everyone. Although I did wish there was fresh fruit, such as cut up cantaloupe, watermelon, pinapples, strawberries and apples, oranges and bananas. A few days we saw some bananas and an orange but they were quickly gone and not restocked. The views from the room were stellar. The location perfect. Our room didn't come with a microwave but when I asked if it did they brought one right up! All rooms come with a fridge. I had a bad experience last year in Ocean City, needless to say I inspected every inch of our room before allowing our things to be put down. Checked every mattress for bed bugs, every drawer for anything gross. Found nothing. The room Was very clean. The air conditioning worked very well. The balcony was so nice. We were on the 8th floor and saw fireworks from our balcony 2 nights!!! We had jo issues with parking in the front parking lot. ThisWe even left to drive to the aquarium and came back to a better parking spot than we had before! This trip was wonderful because of this hotel. Virginia Beach is very family friendly and has all kinds of things to do and see. I am recommending this hotel to all my friends and family who wants to go to Virginia Beach.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank greenvegansara
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Wow, it sounds like you had a great time staying with us. Thank you for your business, and thank you for this wonderful 5 Star review. I am so happy to hear that the Team here took care of you and was able to quickly meet your needs.

I hope that you, and your friends and family will come back soon for another visit. We have already rolled out some great rates for late August and September, and the water and weather are still beautiful that time of year.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The room was very good for a beach front property. We stayed in a suite which gave us both a view of the beach as well as a view of the boardwalk. The staff was friendly and attentive. The location was convenient to many things. We'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Thank you for the great 4 Star Review, and thank you for staying with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are very busy in the summer, but we try to make every guest's experience a great one.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Both of my stays at this hotel have been simply magical -- friendly staff, clean and nicely decorated rooms, all the amenities (including a free and extensive hot and cold breakfast buffet), and a location second to none. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks so much for the wonderful 5 Star Review. I am very happy to hear that the team here made both of your visits memorable.

Our breakfast is very good, and the location is second to none. I hope that you saw the dolphins swim by, we see them almost every day.

I hope that you will come back again soon, thank you again

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel on July 4 through that weekend. There was a giant crowd during this time (as is to be expected), but everything went smoothly for the most part. We were lucky to find a parking place in front of the hotel (if you get one, walk everywhere and don't move your car!) and the hotel is situated conveniently on the boardwalk.
The only drawback is that on the second day of our stay, our room still wasn't cleaned by 2:00, when I went back to the room to put our 2 year old down for a nap; we had been out of the room since 8:00AM. When I called the front desk, the young lady was a bit snappy, saying that housekeeping worked until 5pm and our room would be cleaned at least by that time. Not good, especially when you have young children/elderly who need to rest midday.

1  Thank R D
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the great review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here.

I am sorry that your room was not cleaned by 2 PM when you wanted to put your baby down for a nap. We try to get all of the rooms cleaned as quickly as possible, and also have rooms ready for new arrivals. It is a delicate balance. We always try to meet special requests, so if you know that you will be back at 2, please let us know (at this hotel, or any hotel) in the morning and we will be sure that your room is ready upon your return. I apologize if the Front Desk agent was not gracious to you when you called.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed there on a Sunday.
Room looked over the ocean.
Room was clean.
Balcony was awesome.

Breakfast okay.
There was a smoker next to us on our balcony, no smoking floor, which bothered us, but not their fault.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting a 4 star review. I am sorry that another guest disturbed you by smoking. I hope that you reported it to the team here. We take our no-smoking policy seriously, and will try our best to prevent guests from smoking anywhere in the building.

The view from the balcony is fabulous, I am so glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you again, and I hope that you will return soon and stay with us again. Our special hot cinnamon rolls will be here for your next visit.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I were vacationing from Ohio, first let me start by saying that the long trip made us irritable and cranky, it was hot we were tired and honestly did not want to wait long to get to our room, shower and go to sleep. We did not have time to even look at the beach area. There was no close by parking, traffic was awful and it was just crowded in the street. However, my wife and I walked through the front door of the lobby and the first person to greet us with a smile was who we thought was just a greeter, but actually turned out to be the maintenance guy Antonio We didnt smile much due to a frustrating trip(we did apologize to everyone later on) but we had to laugh when he said " I've been waiting for you guys all day! and gave us a big cheshire cat smile. Now I must say that the service from then on was excellent. Anna checked us in and she was very helpful and patient, we had an issue with our reservation but it was all made better very quickly. The breakfast, the view outside our room, the fireworks for fourth of july...just awesome. The cleanliness of the room was so fresh and well kept. It was our anniversary and it was awesome due to a staff that seemed genuinely concerned about our needs. We would have stayed longer if finances permitted it, but we will be back next season for sure. Thanks for turning a long hot, frustrating trip into a wonderful time for my wife and I.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nathaniel c

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the great 5 Star Review. I am so glad that you let me know of the great service my team provided to you and your wife. I am glad to hear that they are truly taking care of our guests.

Being able to watch the fireworks over the ocean from your own private balcony is a real treat, I am glad you had the chance to enjoy that. Our complimentary hot breakfast served every day is always a hit, and the breakfast room has a wonderful view as well.

Thank you again, we look forward to your visit next summer, and Happy Anniversary!!!

Reviewed 18 July 2013

As we’re searching for a smoke-free place to enjoy another vacation to VA Beach and see the listing for the Holiday Inn Express at Va Beach, it occurs to us that we never got a resolution from both local and top hotel management when we expressed concern about the smoking at this hotel during our last stay.

Yes, hotel advertisement claims to be “100% smoke-free”. Yes, there are signs throughout the hotel, including balcony doors, touting fines and prohibiting smoking. Such rules are good, but only if management is at least willing and able to enforce the rules. And here lies the problems we encountered at this hotel and reason why we feel the need to share our experience.

During our stay here, an individual on the balcony next to us was smoking, sending smoke into our room. We saw the smoker puffing away ourselves. We had to close our balcony door. We loss the fresh air we were enjoying. We loss use of our balcony. Our enjoyment of the ocean-front room we paid for was ruined and we cannot get that back.

When we asked the front desk to intervene (both on the phone and in person), hotel staff said repeatedly that they must see proof in the form of cigarette butts or smokers smoking! We said proof is the fact that the smoker's room/balcony smell like an ashtray because the source of the smoke is much more intense than anywhere else. Hotel staff said that is not enough. Really Holiday Inn? A smoke filled room is not proof of smoking? Since the inconsiderate smokers will stop smoking and hide the butts whenever staff knocks on their doors (if they’re still smoking), this insistence on finding butts or staff actually seeing puffing tells us that Holiday Inn can never enforce its no-smoking policy and customers can never be sure if our stay will be pleasant.

What good are the smoke-free claims if the hotel does not have a reasonable or even real way of enforcing the smoke-free policy?

Even if any butt is found, telling the idiots to stop or fining them are meaningless and ineffective because that is *after* the fact. Moreover, the fines go into the pocket of hotel management and do nothing for customers whose beach enjoyment is ruined and the smoke-free room that we paid for is not delivered.

Bottom line, the hotel did nothing to punish the violator (didn’t even go to her room!) and nothing to convince us to come back to Holiday Inn. Telling us that there was nothing they could do unless they find butts in a smoke-filled room is absurd.

Worse, when we contacted Holiday Inn corporate to express our disappointment, we were redirected back to local hotel management, who then blew us off completely. When top management at a business ignores customer concern by brushing us off back to lower management whose non-performance and non-cooperation started the problem in the first place, we need to ask ourselves why we should continue to support such business when there are so many competitors.

Based on our stay here, if being able to enjoy fresh ocean breeze and a smoke free room and balcony is important to you, this may not be the place if any of your neighbors decides to smoke because, as you saw, both local and corporate management have no real way to enforce the no-smoking policy, which sadly was their big marketing draw to us.

If you choose to pick this hotel anyway, when you make your reservation or prior to checking-in, just ask staff how they are going to enforce their no-smoking policy and what happens when you don’t get a smoke-free stay. Tell them that you’re paying for a smoke-free experience, not empty apologies after the fact.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D T
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting your comments in a review. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay, and I am very sorry if you think that the hotel did not take any action.

Assessing a $ 250.00 fee to a guest's credit card is a very serious matter, and one that I do not treat lightly. If a guest disputes that charge with their bank, we will lose the surcharge if we do not have hard evidence. We have collected many smoking charges in the last year, and once a guest hears that we have pictures, they stop disputing the charges.

In this case, we tried very hard to confirm that people were smoking in the room next to yours. Despite the fact that a member of my management team was in that room every day, I did not feel that we could justify leveling the charge. At no time was that room "filled with smoke."

If you will contact me at the hotel, I will be glad to discuss ways that we might satisfy you for your poor experience here. Again, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here, and I look forward to speaking with you. I welcome any ideas that you have that could improve the process here to get "ahead of the problem."

Sincerely