“Great Beach and Great Stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #71 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
richmond
“Great Beach and Great Stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Great location!!!! This hotel is not admist the craze of the beach hotel strip, but instead just in a residental community on a private beach! (But just a short 10-15 minute drive if you want to embark upon the high traffic beach zone) Loved it!! The hotel could use cosmetic updates/refurb. but it was clean and the staff/service was great! This a perfect place to enjoy the beautiful calm bay waters (great for kids to play..no rough waves like at the ocean!). Lots of sandbars to walk out on. Could hear the hotel room hallway traffic through the door, but we notice that at a lot of hotels. The suite style rooms are great! Separate sleeping and living areas. Kitchenette came in very handy for early morning hungry kids! Great balconies positioned to see the water! Recommend this place!

Room Tip: Ask for at least tier 3 or better...you'll be closer to the water. (you can request sunrise side...
1 Thank deermech

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

If you are going for a pretty view of the bay, then this is your hotel. If you are planning on getting any sleep, forget this hotel. As other reviews have stated, you hear everything. First, the layout of the room is a big factor for this. You open the door, two steps into the room you are at the bed. Not sure why the rooms were designed this way. Add to it rude, loud and inconsiderate guests and you have a formula for no sleep. Not only did I hear loud guests, I heard guests cussing out other guests for being too loud. The back part of the room, the living area, is huge and looks out over the bay. Not sure why they didn't put the beds here instead. Would have made it more quiet. Also, the hotel is looking dated and old. The front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. The other staff though, would never smile, say hello or anything. They just put their head down and walk on past. Overall, if you are staying here to party, great hotel, great views and good location to lots of places to eat. If you are looking for a quiet getaway, I recommend you look elsewhere.

1 Thank Itsjustme47
staceypatrick, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thanks very much for the candid review of your stay as we are always trying to improve the guest experience at our hotel. The oversized living area within each room tends to work best for the many families and guests who enjoy relaxing and taking in the beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay together. We are sorry that some other guests within the hotel spoiled your sleep while you were here. We do hope however, that you were able to take advantage of all the other hotel amenities (pool, sauna, beach and fitness room) while you were here.
Toronto, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the Virginia Beach Resort Hotel this pass weekend. I was not impressed. You walked into the room there was the bedroom, bath in the middle and living area with balcony in the back. This would not be bad I if there had not been a tremendous amount of noise in the hallway during the early morning hours (midnitght to 2 AM). The rooms were very dated. The microwave was at least 20 years old and did not work. The carpets in the rooms were well worn. In our room housekeeping made the bed and gave us new towels and that was it. The majority of hotels offer free internet, but not here. Internet is $10 a day. The only good thing it was on the beach. Definitely not worth the $129 a night..

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your stay. It appears the timing of your visit coincided with a group that was also staying with us and it’s disappointing to hear that their inconsiderate behavior kept you awake so late in the evening. Our resort location appeals to various people (families, couples, corporate clientele and groups) however our primary goal is to help provide guests with a relaxing stay and happy memories on the Chesapeake Bay. We’re not sure if you were aware, but despite there being a nominal in-room Wi-Fi charge, we do offer it complimentary in nearly all other public areas of the hotel including the business center. Thank you for your comments as we will be sure to manage these concerns closely going forward.

Travellers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Freeport, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Enjoyed our stay with staff was wonderful helping us get to our desired places from wedding service and airport. On time and great and considerate staff to cater to all our needs as we were without a car. Room was comfortable and best beds I've yet to stay in on our travels.
The food was great at the restaurant and a 5 star***** Sunday brunch that we couldn't praise enough. The front desk staff was just excellent. Some guests were not considerate in the hallways were noise travels fast, but otherwise an enjoyable stay with beautiful pool and weight room for which I was very thankful.

Room Tip: The rooms could use some updating, but were kept clean and good service by room staff.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Noise travels very easily through the walls. This was unfortunate, because our room was about ten rooms down the hall from a group that was partying very loudly all night. I had to call the front desk repeatedly in the middle of the night to try to get someone to fix this. However, the security staff was unable to quiet the other guests and the hotel was unwilling to do anything to make up for it. The rooms are a bit run down and dirty. There was mold all over the shower walls and caked in dirt on the the closet clothes rail. This is not an inexpensive hotel - you can do much better spending your money elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have bad back/knees so coming out of my taxi was hoping for bell hop... He got the door, almost, by the time I had wheeled my stuff most of the way through. But I think I am just too city, this place must get lots of fluxuation in busy-ness, so I tried to be a gentle judge. But again, before going to my room, I had to request the bellhop's help.

The long walk to the bay side is worth the view, however the room configuration is not right. there is no door between the spaces so it can not be called a suite, yet the sleeping area is right by the door, and then the bathroom/closet before the living room/kitchen and balcony window view. Windows do not open. Since it was cool in early March I could leave the door open most of the time for the breeze, otherwise I would have been seriously disappointed without fresh air or a way to hear thw water lapping.

Plus I had to rearrange furniture - Technically my room, with two double beds and a sofa bed, could have slept five or six. But unless you bring people who hate windows, who would want to be stuck in a windowless sleep area?

Since it was just me I had to request the maids bring the stuff to make up the sofabed with. And move the table away from the window. Did you know that curtain in the photo hides the fact that the windows are wall to wall? My first morning I did not want to get out of bed, wall to wall water views with the open door letting in the breeze of a rainy pounding surf day, pure heaven to me. If you don't mind a sofa bed. It didn't start to bother me til the fifth/final night.However they only have one lamp and table by the sofa, kind of skimpy, a partner would have been in the dark, plus i had to use one of the chairs to hold my cpap machine and there were only three chairs in the entire room...

Four chairs and a dented table on the terrace were filthy and when I asked them to clean it up they swept up the cigarette butts but left the dirt on the chairs... I do not blame the cleaning crew, they were very busy but responded to every request cheerfully.

Staff was nice all around, but when questioned, seemed as confused as me by the strange room layout- I said at Embassy Suites they'd put a fake frosted glass window in the room by the door, with sofa and tv, then put a door by the room facing the water with the beds/tv in there and call it a one bedroom suite- Guess they'd have to move the kitchen too tho and that wold get expensive.

Restaurant and room service good if slightly irregular service (one night my hot chocolate comes in a class mug, the next a paper cup with a lid) and you have to specify if you want your water in a glass with ice and not a plastic dasani bottle for room service, I found.

Pool and jacuzzi nice tho they closed it down half way through my stay, and the pool during cool weather is limited to the three feet that is indoors (I imagine it might get deeper outside?)

Can't beat that bay view, i like being able to see and feel the waves and the wind... Hope to try the corner suite when I come back again-

Since someone commented below on the food at our conference that weekend, I will say, it left lots to be desired but was not all bad, I actually liked the chicken lunch. The pasta lunch was a tease of an appetizer not a main course though. And they were unprepared with coffee service between dinner and dessert (we had talks to be awake for!) but again I attribute waitstaff and managerial shortcomings might be due to irregular business these days.

They would benefit from adding free wifi, which i could have gotten at Hampton Inn...

Adorable gift and snack shop with a saint of a woman in there, was sad it was closed on the day I checked out. Again, nice people all around. Thank you - Love to you and yours.

Room Tip: unless you hate nice views the bay view is a must
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed for one week during a retreat and it was a wonderful time. The staff is very accomodating, very comfortable beds, the food was great and the beach is right there! Perfect week!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends