“I've stayed here before, I'm staying here now, and will stay here again.”

Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I've stayed here before, I'm staying here now, and will stay here again. From the gracious greeting from Pete at the front desk, to the "guests first" approach by Judy, to the great breakfast service I experienced this morning, it is clear that these people care about hospitality. And while this is not the most modern of hotels, I would trade a flat-screen TV for the genuine spirit of customer service that I have seen here. Recommended. And, the beach is great if you have little kids...the waves are much smaller on the bay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank rgstrip
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

We love seeing familiar faces back at the hotel and truly look forward to your next return. Your kind compliments about our staff, resort and services are very much appreciated and returning back to us is the best gift of all. We look forward to seeing you again. In the meantime, please stay in touch at: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel earlier this month. I can't say we were very impressed. It's a long shot from a resort, that's for sure. More like a standard hotel or motel. While I won't rip this place apart like some reviewers, I will speak to the positive and negatives of this hotel based on our experience, standards, and opinions as a way to help others decide whether or not to stay here for vacation.

Let's start with the positives. The location. It sits on the bay along the waterfront beach houses and condos, so you have direct access to a quieter beach than the oceanfront. You also get to see sunsets over the water at night, which is wonderful. Not all rooms are bayfront, so if you want the best waterfront view from your balcony, a bayFRONT view is your best bet. The bayview rooms offer a view of the water only if you look to the side from your balcony. I suspect many people stay here for the location and views alone, because it doesn't offer much more than that to guests.

There is a stand right outside the hotel on the beach that offers things such as paddleboards, kayaks, etc. We enjoyed renting a kayak from them an hour before sunset so we could watch it from the water. You can only do that on Thursdays.

My husband and I really liked the pool at the hotel. They have an indoor and outdoor pool that connect to each other, which is nice. Plenty of seating around the pool. The also offer a pool bar, which was a nice touch.

They have a restaurant on site called Tradewinds, which is decent. We ate there a few times and ordered drinks there. The service wasn't the greatest, but we liked that the manager came around to ask how the dining experience was while he was there. The breakfast food is eh okay, but we had some delish crab cakes one day. The mixed drinks are overpriced IMO even the "specials" listed on the board. They really need to have better specials and happy hour deals here. The restaurant doesn't draw much of a crowd...never seemed crowded.

Now for the hotel. We were pleased that our room was ready when we arrived around 10 AM....super early check-in, which they allowed us to do for no fee. That was nice because we'd never encountered that before. The lady at the desk was pleasant as were the bell boys and even the maintenance staff. We actually witnessed a maintenance worker assisting an wheelchair bound elderly woman from the elevator into her car in the parking garage, which was impressive. They were always friendly to us. I wished the front desk lady would have given us some additional info. about the hotel though - i.e. where things (elevator, pool, restaurant, shop) were located. If not tell us helpful info. and directions, at least provide a mini map of the hotel with key items. That was disappointing since the hotel is like a maze and we had to wander around, getting lost and asking questions a bunch of times in order to find out key info and particular things on site.

We didn't encounter issues with the elevators as a few mentioned. They worked just fine for us. We were disappointed with our room though. I've actually seen motel rooms that looked nicer and operated better inside than this "resort" room. The first thing we noticed was the HORRIBLE layout. Why would a bed be directly next to the door?! It's a suite and it just seemed so backwards to us that the bedroom would be next to the door and the living room/kitchen in the back room near the balcony. Who designed this?? The rooms REALLY need to be renovated as most hotels do from time to time. It hasn't ever been renovated, so the carpet was NASTY, worn, torn, and old. The couch was so uncomfortable and had stains on it. The kitchen is a joke - mini fridge and tiny microwave that looked like it had been taped up or something cause it was cracked and falling apart. No dishes. The furniture and TVs are from the 80s. The bathrooms are small and the tub high off the ground. I almost fell getting in and out of the tub because it was so high up. The water pressure and temp were awful - too hard pressure and temp fluctuated from what I set it at to VERY hot. The bed was SO hard and pillows were a complete joke (bring your own!!) The balcony view was of condos across the way and the chairs on it were so dirty like they never get cleaned. The walls are so thin that you can hear EVERY conversation in the hallway when people walk (or run) by and you constantly hear doors shut/slam throughout the night. A cop actually showed up in the middle of the night to the room either next to or across from ours because we heard their conversation and the police radio at 3 AM! If you are someone that needs a LITTLE noise to sleep, bring a floor fan or something because it is SUPER quiet in the room...can hear a pin drop. One evening during our stay we walked in to find that the maids had knocked the ceiling with something because there was drywall all over the floor.

Room Tip: Bayfront if you want great sunset and water views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erin F

Thank you for staying with us recently and we appreciate your detailed feedback about your experience while with us. We truly value feedback from our customers and make modifications based on your opinions and satisfaction with our hotel and amenities. We’ll be sure to review your comments with our team and thank you again for choosing our bay front location in your vacation plans.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the night of our friends wedding and chose it specifically based on location and availability of the shuttle service to drop us off at the wedding (located about 1.5 miles away.) Check in was technically at 4:00 but when I spoke with the hotel rep a few days before, she assured me that if I call early in the morning on check-in day they would be able to get us in a few hours early so we could get ready for the wedding. On check-in day, I called at 8:00am to let them know we were interested in checking in early (around 2:00, if possible.) The front desk said that it should not be a problem and that I needed to call back closer to 2:00 to make sure the room was ready. I called at 1:30, they told me it wasn't ready and asked if I could call back in an hour. I called back at 2:30, the room still wasn't ready and they told me to "call back in a few minutes." I asked them if I could have a different room that had already been cleaned, but they condescendingly told me "we don't do that here" and that the rooms that were cleaned have already been occupied by customers who had made their reservation farther in advance. (I had made my reservation 3+ months in advance, but when I called to confirm the reservation the week before, they told me they didn't have record of my reservation. After some digging, they saw that I made the reservation but they never put it into their computer system, so it looked like I had just recently booked the room, but in reality it was their error. Regardless, we checked into our room at 3:50.

When I called to confirm our reservation the week before our trip, I scheduled the shuttle to drive us to the wedding at 5:45. The morning of the check-in, I confirmed that we were still scheduled to depart the hotel at 5:45. We were in the lobby at 5:40 and the shuttle never showed up. We ended up driving ourselves to the wedding at 5:55.

My dress for the wedding needed ironed. The front desk said there was an iron in our room. I plugged it in -- nothing. It didn't work. I called the front desk at 4:15 and told them I was in a hurry and needed a new iron ASAP. They told me they would send one right away. At 5:15, still no iron. My fiance brought the broken iron to the front desk to swap it for a new one and they said someone would be right up with a functioning iron. At 5:30, they showed up with the iron. I went to the wedding with a hastily ironed / mostly wrinkled dress.

All in all, the hotel is average. The beds were averagely comfortable, the rooms were very spacious, and the location is great; however, the shower water pressure is the worst I've ever seen, the girls at the gift shop/coffee shop are incompetent, and the staff is incredibly unreliable for check-ins, shuttle, service, etc...

For the price, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 53449J_w
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

We appreciate you staying with us but are disappointed to hear that your experience was less than perfect. Although we attempt to accommodate everyone’s requests during the busy summer months, many times we need to adjust our staff services based on the in house guest checkout times. It’s hard to predict in advance what will occur despite all of our well-meant intentions for special requests of early arrivals. We value your feedback and we’re sorry we couldn’t assist with getting you access any earlier.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have stayed here several times and always been satisfied. Great location on the bay with calmer, warmer water than the bay. Staff is very friendly and accomidating. Rooms could use a little updating but very clean so it makes up for it.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thanks so much for staying with us here on the Chesapeake Bay and we do hope you had a fabulous time. We’re glad that our staff provided you with superior service and was able to make your vacation enjoyable. Please come back and stay with us again. Follow us at:
Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Cheryl Wolfe, the event director, did a wonderful job as did all the staff. They exceeded our expectations.We had a wedding ceremony on the deck and the reception in the Sunrise Room for 120. Many of the staff went above and beyond to accommodate us. The group of rooms on the 6th and 7th floors was very nice. We received a discounted rate at peak season for our event. The beach is very nice and is on the bay so that it is more calm and more private than the strand. Overall the bride and groom had a great day and greatly enjoyed the venue. Thanks to everyone at VBRHCC for taking such good care of us.

Room Tip: They serve Starbucks coffee. Yeah! The kids enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool and playing on the bea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

It was our pleasure hosting your group’s reception here on the bay. We were happy to help make the celebration memorable and are so very pleased everyone had a great time. Your compliments are very much appreciated and we thank you for staying with us. You are welcome to follow us at:Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Wonderful stay for family and friends. The beach is beautiful. Kids can play on beach or choose the indoor/outdoor pool. The Tradewinds restaurant is wonderful for dining in or ordering to eat on the beach. Rooms have a gorgeous view of the water and so comfortable after a fun filled day. Looking forward to our next stay!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for vacationing with us and we are happy that you and the entire family had some fun while with us! We’re glad you enjoyed the beautiful views of the Chesapeake Bay and our wonderful beachfront location. We look forward to seeing you next time! Follow us at:
Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Reviewed 19 July 2013

This property is located on the Chesapeake Bay. Private beach area that was perfect for our family. The pool has extended hours so my kids were thrilled to swim late. During our visit they were hosting girls sport teams and lots of families so the pool was lively. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and neat.. I really liked that the vanity area that is located outside the bathroom so someone could get ready if another was in the shower or bathroom. The bedroom area in our room was adjacent to the door so we did find we could hear exceptionally loud guests if they were running or talking loudly as they passed down the hall. Being parents to a couple of hall runners, we certainly couldn't complain about others and it really wasn't a big problem but if quiet is important to you, you may ask for the executive floor which I understand is quieter. Across the street was the Food Lion grocery store that has everything including adult beverages. This hotel is also very close to Bubba's where we had a fabulous seafood dinner. Don't hesitate it is very nice. We will be visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

We are happy to see that you and your family had a pleasant time while at our resort on the bay. I’m sure you enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool and easy access to our private beach area. Dolphin sightings are common and we hope your kids were able to see them also. We look forward to having you all back again and we thank you for your nice comments and recommendation. Feel free to stay in touch at: Facebook.com/VBResorthotel