“Rocky stay...but nice”

Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hotel is older but very nice. Rooms are very big and accomodated the 5 of us with plenty of room to spare. Pros: RIGHT on the beach, super friendly staff for the most part, nice restaurant with great food, clean and spacious room. Cons: I wish I would have gotten the room I booked. Upon checking in, there was chaos going on...pulled up to ambulance and police cars in front due to two differnt medical emergencies. Trying to check in took over 30 minutes due to this and I felt bad for the staff as they were beyond frazzled. I was never told of an additional $50 per day fee to be added to my check-in so the girl was trying to put more on the card than what I left on it for this trip. They handled that, but while we were trying to figure out what was going on, another couple was given a room on the 8th floor as there was also power outage in the hotel. Once the card was charged, the front desk person, scratches out my room number and re-write another one. I ask why I am not on 8...I get told there are no rooms on 8...WHAT??? I even called to let them know I was running late due to traffic on i-95. The room we got was nice, but the view we were supposed to have was VERY obstructed and was more of the place next door and the parking lot then the Bay. Wish I knew how to ask for the rooms right ON the bay...GORGEOUS view. Had to ask several times to get a refund of the room difference which I finally got. Staff was ALWAYS pleasant, except one time. Whomever was running the store seemed to be put off that we were there and when we went back later in the day to get something, she decided to close over an hour earlier. She was the only one the entire time that was the least bit rude.

Overall, great place-just one clamity of errors this time. Would go back.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room directly ON the Bay. The other views seem to be obstructed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

We value your comments about your recent stay with us here on the Chesapeake Bay. It was our pleasure providing you with top notch service as we strive hard to ensure all of our guests have a great time. Prior to your arrival we had an unexpected incident with the fire alarm and sprinkler service which interrupted our power for a short time. Guests arriving during that time unfortunately experienced the results of our staff having to react to the unforeseen situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we will be sure to provide you with a bay front room view next time. Feel free to stay in touch with us via: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I Visited for a night with my church along with 2 of my kids in June 2013.Although we got there late nite the service was very good,the room was spacious. Bedroom w/2 beds, separate spacious living room with sofa,sink,microwave,TV & balcony. The beds were comfy. The kids never left the pool till 2am, large indoor/outdoor pool,Steam room,gym & hot tub.The property is located on the beach,there's a supermarket across the street. It was good for the price and I would definitely go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sherwin C

Thanks for visiting with us in June and we thank you for your feedback about your time spent with us. We’re glad that you all enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool and private beach and we hope you were able to catch a glimpse of some dolphins during your stay. We’d love for you to visit us again, so please stay in touch at: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was there for two nights for an Army Reserve conference. The first night, we are in the conference room in class and the fire alarm goes off. The sprinklers go off in another location which then causes all the lights to go off. Darn hard to have a power point presentation with no electricity. Later that night I went to my room and the power was still out. With no A/c I sweated like a pig. I felt bad for the wedding reception that was attempting to happen. You could see where the wedding was on the beach with the chairs facing the water. The next day, the conference area looked like a war zone with towels and fans everywhere. The room itself is huge. Nice deck area. Need to upgrade to flat screen TVs. Hot tub and pool are nice and the location is VERY close to the beach which is a plus. The beach was NOT crowded, and the sand is nice. I loved seeing the giant ships out in the water, something I didn't see on an earlier family excursion to Myrtle Beach. The staff are super nice. If location to the beach is important to you and you don't spend a lot of time in the room, this is your place. If you want a modern room to spend much time in, look elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind compliments about our hard working staff and resort amenities. It’s unfortunate that the timing of your visit coincided with the unexpected fire alarm/sprinkler incident. We did our best to accommodate all guests and groups in-house while we investigated and corrected the problem as quickly as possible. We hope you were able to take some time to walk on the beach or swim in the pool prior to leaving. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

First off the views of the bay are phenomenal! Watching the sunset from our bed and watching the naval boats go by was absolutely awesome. The hotel was OK. The pillows on the beds were great and the beds were comfortable to sleep on as well. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and the only odd thing about the room is that one bedroom with two beds are right are at the front door and my kids complained about the hallway noise. The bay was wonderful to play in due to the minor waves and warm water. I ordered room service and my food arrived in 10 mins, hot, fresh and tasty. The staff was always willing to help and were always pleasant. The one downside to our stay is there was no stove/hot plate and there was no silverware or plates to reheat food in the microwave. We would be wi

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RJS99

The views of the Chesapeake Bay are quite lovely from many areas of our resort, and we are glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. We strive to provide our guests with great service and plenty of activities to have fun or simply relax and unwind. Your comments are important to us and we thank you for posting them. Please come back and see us again, and in the meantime keep in touch at:
Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

There is nothing "special" about this hotel but everything was fine. It was clean, in a perfect location close to a wedding venue that we were there for and the front desk staff was especially friendly. The room set-up was one of the strangest I've seen. It's a suite but the bedroom portion is right at the entrance. You literally walk into the suite and the bed is right there. Then it continues into a suite area that has a balcony overlooking the bay. This room set-up presented a problem because the bed is RIGHT up against the hallway. We heard everyone leaving as we'll as the housekeeping staff discussing sheets as if they were in the room with us. Pretty much impossible to get good sleep. Maybe other rooms aren't set up this way but we thought it was odd. This hotel appeared to be much nicer than the others in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently and also for your comments. While our room configuration may look odd, it’s by design that we made the living space closest to the balcony and beautiful views of the Chesapeake Bay. That enables more people, more often, the time to enjoy the beautiful sunrise/sunsets. Thanks for staying with us and we do hope you’ll come back again and stay with us.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I absolutely love staying at the Va. Beach Resort Hotel!!! My family and I've stayed for several years now and we've never been dissatisfied. Wonderful location, offering more of a family atomosphere away from the boardwalk/oceanfront scene. Very clean, relaxing environment offering everything you should need! Great indoor/outdoor pool and the bay is perfect for our family with younger children to not have to fight the waves. We love the restaurant Tradewinds and is priced very reasonable. Great staff and a special thank you to Stacey Shiflet for always being so generous and maintaining an awesome hotel.... we wouldnt change a thing! Always looking forward to our next trip:)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

You are most welcome! We are delighted to see that you and your family have again enjoyed your time spent with us here on the Chesapeake Bay. It is our pleasure to have assisted with making your vacation a memorable one. We look forward to seeing you again and appreciate all the kind words you have provided in your comments. We’d love for you to stay in touch via: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Having recently moved to the Virginia Beach area, I am always looking for the best way to host family and friends when they come into town. This past weekend, a friend and I stayed here. We were very happy. The lay-out and the kitchenette allowed us to sit and enjoy each other's company as we overlooked the ocean. The private beach avoided the tourist traffic. Will definitely entertain visitors here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us recently and we are glad that you enjoyed both our suite layout and amenities for your in town guests. Our unique room design does provide optimal views of the Chesapeake Bay for the entire group and we’re glad to have been chosen to host their visit. We look forward to having your future friends and relatives stay as well. Stay in touch at:
Facebook.com/vbresorthotel