“hotel needs updating”

Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #75 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for 6 days last week. Hotel is very dated. Needs new carpeting and lighting fixtures in sad looking hallways. I had booked 1 bedroom suite. It was too small for family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Not to mention there was no door on the bedroom which means no privacy The only door was on the bathroom which means getting dressed where shower/toilet was. I asked for upgrade to 2 bedroom suite. The manager, Kristi was very helpful and took me to show me 2 bedroom suite. She also moved me to floor where the rooms were "newer" though still not resort quality. . If you book hotel, make sure you book .on floor where bedrooms located in back. The first room had bedrooms in front by hallway so very noisy. The 2 bedroom suite was much better. Make sure you know that beds are only double size which is very small especially with teenager boys. I think the "resort" term they use for this hotel is not accurate since I did not feel like I was staying at "resort" property. I will say the rooms were clean but again, the hotel needs a makeover ASAP.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for room with bedrooms in back so you do not hear hallways noise.
1  Thank Cari C
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

It was wonderful to have you family stay with us for a week while in the Virginian Beach area. Your comments are important to us and helpful as well. We are glad that Christy was able to relocate you to a room that better suited your family’s sleeping needs and we do hope your enjoyed time on the Chesapeake Bay with all of the fun summer activities available.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

First I want to say I have never written a review, but I feel so strongly about my visit here I had to respond. Just returned from this hotel. Loved Virginia Beach, but hated this hotel. I will admit the staff was friendly, but that is ALL it offers. OUTDATED is an understatement. If you like a parking space for your car, an outlet to charge anything, free WiFi that works,and yes actually towels to shower with, then DO NOT stay HERE.

When I arrived at this place, we were put in a room on the 7th floor. The entire floor had a horrible smell, like they just treated the carpets with something. I needed to have the room changed as you could smell it in the room. They gladly changed me to the second floor, which was nice, however, my view then was of the parking lot. At least the smell was better, but there is an odor overall in this hotel. It was like at one a "smoking" hotel and they never changed the carpet. It still smells and not fresh.

When they have events, which they have weddings and reunions frequently, which I can't figure out why because the place is NOT nice....good luck getting a parking space. The front end manager did admit to me that they do not have enough parking spaces for the guests at the hotel and everyone for the event. Hmmmmm.....that's interesting. You book a room, but you aren't even guaranteed a parking spot? That's a new one and I live in NY where parking is really difficult to find.

Multiple days we came back to the room at 4pm. The room was cleaned, however we had no towels. I asked for towels and was told they were not clean yet. They would bring them to me when they were done. I have never been in a hotel that couldn't turn around towels by 4pm the next day, or by the next morning.

Nothing in this hotel worked. The dryer was broke, the tub was backed up. It was a disaster from the start. I heard it was privately owned and I was not given any sort of adjustment for my room rate. They wanted to give me a gift certificate for a future visit. I told them I would never lodge in their hotel again. If it wasn't for a tournament that forced us to stay there, I would have stayed at the boardwalk. Save yourself....stay somewhere else.

5  Thank LG702014

Thank you for your comments however we are sorry to see that your recent experience with us was not more enjoyable. We had hoped that with the immediate personal attention provided by our Front Office Manager it would have encouraged an improved outcome to your stay. Our resort is a very popular and active hotel that hosts groups and events, yet our amenities and guest service levels should not be affected. We value your feedback and will be sure to review your comments with our staff.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The location was a little out of the way, but as long as you have a car you to get to any and every place on the island. The hotel was clean,comfortable and very accommodating. They have a wonderful restaurant and poolside bar.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greenjjeanpa
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

It is wonderful to see that you had a pleasant time while staying with us on the Chesapeake Bay. We are confident that you found our views of the bay; the sunsets and daily dolphin activity comforting. Thank you for selecting our resort in your vacation plans and please be sure to stay in touch with us at: Facebook.com/VBResortHotel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We went here for the July 4th weekend. Booked at the last minute, so we were lucky to get something on the beach. It is not on the main Virginia beach, but around the corner. Beach was still very nice and very busy. Hotel has a restaurant patio looking over the beach. The rooms were not too bad, but very dated. The noise was pretty extreme with people yelling and running the halls at all hours of day. I know this was party weekend, but the room walls are very thin. Not too much to each locally, everything is a drive. Overall the experience was ok.

3  Thank Barry H

Thank you for staying with us over the 4th of July weekend! We hope you enjoyed some quality time on the beach and at our indoor/outdoor pool. It was a busy weekend with plenty of activities and fireworks and we do hope you enjoyed your time while in the Virginia Beach area.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was my 5th time to stay here and again it was awesome and seems to get better and better each time I visit Virginia Beach! Never have I encountered a nicer, more professional staff in my life. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the view of the Chesapeake Bay with 4th of July fireworks lighting up the sky was beautiful! I hated to leave but am glad I get to go back in a few weeks!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank margaret f
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here on a number of occasions. The place
is a this time in need of a serious refurbishment and a thorough cleaning. Our room feels musty and the carpets need to be pulled up. The external balcony was filthy and the furniture broken . Checkin very slow despite being prepaid. The whole place needs a professional make over.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Ger99

We thank you for returning back to visit us again recently and also for your insightful comments. Quality and comfort is a concern of ours and we are focused on improving our guests experience while on vacation. We will be making improvements to our hotel in the near future and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Came here on not so great circumstances for a funeral last minute and the way the staff accommodated not only my family but eight of my other family members on such short notice was incredible. Nice, clean, and definitely safe. Right across from the bay and around a bunch of fun things. Miles from the strip and ocean front. Definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauren S
StaceyShiflet, Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for you kind words about our resort on the bay and our condolences to you and your family for your loss. We do hope you’ll return back on a happier occasion to relax and take full advantage of all our hotel amenities and area activities. Feel free to follow us at:
Facebook.com/VBResortHotel