“A Truly Horrible Experience”
Review of Turtle Cay Resort

Turtle Cay Resort
Ranked #52 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Truly Horrible Experience”
Reviewed 12 June 2006

I had very high hopes, pulling into the resort city of Virginia Beach for the first time. The weather was nice and my family was ready to get out of the car. We'd travelled from Charlotte, North Carolina and this was going to be our son Henry's first trip to the beach. Virginia Beach and Turtle Cay was recommended by a good friend and I researched it on the internet. Needless to say, it was a complete disaster.

We parked and before we started unpacking luggage an intoxicated college student yelled a profanity at my wife and exposed himself. I immediately flagged down a police officer and was told "Hey, these things happen." We were told that our room would not be ready until later in the day so we left our bags and strolled on the Boardwalk. The beach seemed very small and had dirty, gray sand - instead of yellow. My wife and I both noticed that the smell of fast food restaurants far outweighed the refreshing smell of the salt air you normally smell at the beach. My 7 year-old daughter was nearly run down by a roller-blader who yelled "tourists!' as she continued on her way.

Normally I would assume that the boardwalk is a festive place, but everyone seemed to be in a bored daze - shuffling about slowly. Seagulls were looking for food in open dumpsters and my wife saw a homeless man doing something unmentionable in broad daylight. The t-shirt shops along Atlantic Avenue fill their windows with vulgar hats and shirts. I had to explain to my daughter what "marijuana" and a "hangover" were. That was awkward.

We sought refuge in a nice looking seafood restaurant. Although it wasn't busy at all, no staff member greeted us. We finally took a seat and were told to move. It was a "special" seat for locals only. We were seated in the back of the restaurant, far from the ocean view and close to the hot kitchen. We ordered popcorn shrimp to nibble on. It took over an hour and when it came out - it was cold. My wife ordered a margarita and said it tasted like soap.

We reported back to Turle Cay and discovered our room had been rented to another family because, we didn't show up at the right time. I demanded to speak to the manager and was told to "Shut up". I lost my deposit and was told "better luck next summer".

The desk clerk permitted us to sleep in our car - as long as we were out of the parking lot by 7 A.M. We couldn't sleep because of all the drunken yelling and loud car stereos that echo through the night - I won't even tell you about the loud jets that fly over the city all day!

The next morning we left for the Outer Banks of North Carolina and had a much better time.

I'm sure that Virginia Beach is a nice place, but that place remained hidden during our time there. The people seemed very "snobbish" and the beach itself didn't seem to be in very good condition.

• Stayed June 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Charlotte County, Va
Reviewed 20 March 2006

My husband and I went to the Turtle Cay the night we got married. We loved the customer service and the room. The romance package was not yet in our room, but within 10 mins. someone brought it up with a complementary box of snacks for the inconvenience. We had reservations to stay at the Boardwalk for the rest of the week. We went to the Boardwalk and were very disappointed with the accomidations and called back over to the Turtle Cay to switch over the reservation (they were both choices for the time share I was using). The quickly took care of the situation and we enjoyed the rest of our honeymoon. Everytime I needed the front desk or maintainance, it was handled quickly and efficiently. We will definately stay there again and bring the kids on our next visit!!

Stayed February 2006
9 Thank Stacy K
Reviewed 26 August 2005

If you love music and sitting and watching people it is wonderful. The room was very nice and the Bathroom, well I had trouble getting my husband out of the hot tub. The people were very friendly. Just a very comfortable and warm place to have a nice relaxing vacation. You can walk accross the street and listen to music at night on the boardwalk. Great location. Just all around good deal. It would be a wonderful place to go to in the winter for a get away. You have a fire place and all the comforts of home. I plan to take my husband and goo this winter. The beach is a beautiful place when it is cool out side. Enjoy your stay. There is nothing I can say bad about the Turtle Cay Resort.

• Stayed August 2003
Reviewed 14 August 2005

Bedrooms are exposed to busy streets and walkways. Balconies overlook a very noisy (music & guests) pool.
Parking is a problem. Late arrivals will find even the overflow lot full.
Furniture is worn and the matresses were hard.
Although convenient, this is not a waterfront resort.
This is a timeshare. Be prepared to be hounded to view a presentation. Despite the promises of no hard sell....it is.

• Stayed August 2005
Budd Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2005

We stayed at Turtle Cay from 7/9/05 - 7/16/05. We had a one bedroom unit on the third floor with the skylight. Very comfortable for the four of us, clean and spacious. Balcony overlooked the courtyard with two large pools and hots tubs. Very family oriented. Washer and dryer in the unit was great. Came home with all clean clothes. Just had to cross Atlantic Avenue to get to the beach. Room safe charge is only $1.00 per day, same as other hotels and no big deal. Trolley stops in front of hotel (either side of street) approximately every 15 minutes if you don't feel like walking up Atlantic Avenue. Trolley costs $1.00 per person, per ride. Beach Street USA entertainment is enjoyable (17th - 24th Streets) everynight. We never miss Flipper McCoys Arcade - kids love it! Beach was clean and water temperature was perfect. Had a great vacation and hope to stay at Turtle Cay again. Would definitely recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed July 2005
21 Thank angelapF584YM
penn hills, pa.
Reviewed 30 June 2005

We just retured from a not quite a week at the turtle cay resort. Before going i was terrified at what to expect becase of the bad reveiws. This would have been our first time using our time share.So believe me i was not a happy camper.We had secured a spot last year and ask for the third floor (because of the sky lights) and we did in fact get one.. We chose this resort because of the convenience of not being bothered with waiting on elevators. and have the comforts of home.....The best thing i gathered was having the washer and dryer (what a big help)....Even though the bathroom wasn't as clean as i would like,it really didn;t matter.....It could have been clean as a whistle,i still believe in knowing its clean ( by my standards)Even though i like some others hated being a owner and had to pay at the gym...But after finding that i could go back all day that was better, five dollars didn't sound that bad after all..... Everything was in working condition !!!! i loved being there............And will return next year maybe( we may want to swap for the carribbean) the kids enjoyed as well ,can't speak for everyone cas things do happen,just not this week.
our stay was the 18th thru 23rd of june !

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank kimlvsrum
Reviewed 3 May 2005

We went week 11 (latter part of March). The room itself didn't disappoint us, it was clean and comfy. However, we did have a few issues. We had to pay for a safe located in the suite, even though we had no use for it (that was money that could've been used for food). Construction was being done in one stairwell and pool, it was very unsightly and noisey when work was being done. Upon our arrival, we were asked for a major credit card to pay for a room deposit, we had none, we should've been notified about the requirement when our stay was confirmed. And last but not least is that the promoters of Turtle Cay assure you that it's always something exciting to do no matter what time of year you come, not true. Most restaurants were not open because of the season. The stores that were open all sell the same t-shirts and knick knacks and none of the amusement parks were open. We found a movie theatre to watch a movie that we can see while at home and we visited the sea museum. Don't take your kids down there during cold/cool weather, they'll be bored to death as we were.

• Stayed March 2005