Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 July 2011

hotel was very nice. we had originally booked a single room, but when the manager saw that we had two boys with us, she put us in a suite. (I can't thank you enough!). we had a great time. i agree with the other posts about the military planes -- they are loud. buy, my boys loved them -- and i thought it was cool too. the only thing i can say is that this hotel was very expensive. maybe it was the time of year. but i don't think i've spent that kind of money on a beach hotel EVER. but, the area was sold out -- so maybe that is just the price you pay for booking late.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
LaurenWhite, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad that I was able to assist you during your stay here with us at the Courtyard by Marriott North. We all strive to make each of our guests as comfortable as possible while they are here with us. Although, the planes can be noisy sometimes, they have positives that come along with that noise as your boys found out. If your travels ever bring you back to the area please contact the hotel directly, we would love to assist you in planning your next vacation!! See you next time!

Reviewed 9 July 2011

The Hotel was very clean; spotless in fact. Yet the room was way overpriced! Room and Balcony was small. Was given a room on 9th floor. Took a long time for elevators. Hallway was hot; not air conditioned. Military jets pass right over the Hotel very often and were extreamly load and annoying. They are also building a hotel about a block away which added to the noise level. Jets continued untill a little after 11 pm. Outdoor pool was cold. TV reception poor. Free coffee tasted awful. While the location, staff and houskeeping were great, I would not stay at this hotel again due to the price and size of the room. Very overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: If you stay here get a suite for the extra space
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All feedback is greatly appreciated and helps our staff make improvements to serve our guests better in the future. Our housekeeping and engineering staff work very hard to keep our hotel at its best condition for our guests.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

Nice, clean hotel near the North end of the boardwalk and right on the beach. Close enough to the action, but not too close! Everything you need to enjoy your vacation. We were happy with our decision to book this hotel. Although the pools are small, we spent most of our time on the beach so this didn't bother us.

• Stayed: July 2011
LaurenWhite, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. Our housekeeping staff always strives to go above and beyond to make sure that our rooms are top notch for our guests. If your travels bring you back to Virginia Beach, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly so we can help you book your next vacation!

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Staff was fantastic! Rooms pretty nice. Great part of town to stay. Very family friendly. We had a great week and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind things about our hotel and staff. We all take pride in making sure that our guests enjoy their time spent with us. We look forward to having you back if your travels ever come to Virginia Beach again.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

I travel for business to the Norfolk area every year and this is my hotel of choice because the staff is sooo wonderful. All mid-range hotels are basically the same. What sets one apart fom another? The way the hotel staff treat you and how responsive they are when you need something. I basically lived at this hotel for two months in March/April and came back again in June for another few weeks. Not only did the staff assist me when I asked them for help, they acutally were proactive -- anticipating and resolving issues related to my checking in and out duirng a weekend or two when I was there for two months. So I'n giving a shout out to Chris, Lauren, Kendra, Candace and everyone else who took such good care of me. Thanks, and see you next year! -- Susan Dasch

Room Tip: Ask for rooms ending in
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
LaurenWhite, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

First of all, let me say that it was our pleasure to have you as our guest for such a long period of time. We all strive to make sure that we are listening to what our guests need so that we may better their time spent here at our property. When your travels bring you back to this area next year, please do not hesitate to contact us directly so we can take care of your reservations for you. We all look forward to having you back again here at the Courtyard by Marriott North Oceanfront.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Pros: Management is great. We were given a room directly over the indoor pool area. I have sinus issues and the management was very accommodating in giving us another room at the opposite end of the building. Also, I asked for an extra washcloth and they promptly delivered four. Our beds were very comfortable, in fact, thinking of ordering one of their mattresses from shopcourtyard.com. We ate breakfast three mornings in the hotel and breakfast was very good, only 10.95 breakfast buffet all you can eat, included drinks.

Cons: As with most hotels, there was some mold on the bathtub caulking and shower curtain, except for that, the room was very clean. Also when we were there, one of two elevators was not working and we had to wait 15 minutes to get to the lobby.
Even with the cons, I believe this to be a great hotel and we certainly will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
CourtyardNorth, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Thank you for all your kind remarks. We do everything we can to accommodate all of our guests requests. I do apologize that during your stay that one of our elevators was down. I'm sure the wait could be frustrating at times. For future note the elevator has been fixed and both are now fully functional. We look forward to having you stay with us again, so please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly if you need assistance booking your next trip.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

When planning a beach trip to celebrate my daughters high school graduation, I booked with another hotel. The price seemed "too good to be true"...and that is exactly what it was. When we got to the room, it looked NOTHING like the picture, it was dark, dirty and to be quite frank, it was simply gross. I wanted to find something else, but did not know how booking another room would be possible, as my $$ on my debit card was not released from the current hotel and I do not travel with cash. I was in tears, my daughter was trying not to look disappointed and it seemed her graduation trip was turning into a disaster.
I opened up my laptop and did another search and found the Marriott North. A little more $$, but had everything we wanted and was actually my first choice during my original search. I called the Marriott, told them what had happened and Lauren told me to come right over and they would "work something out."
When I got to the Marriott, Lauren and Chris came to our rescue and did so much more than "work something out." We got to check in early, they worked with the issue of my debit card and even told me how to have the refund from the other hotel processed faster. When I explained the reason for the trip they even upgraded us to a suite. The room was beautiful, bright and spotless. The outdoor pool, complete with waterfalls was gorgeous and our oceanfront view was perfection. Every staff member met us with a smile and made us feel special. I assumed their kindness came from our experience at the other hotel, (bad news travels fast) but throughout our stay, we noticed they were that nice to everyone!!
This vacation was planned for a very special reason. As a single mother, saving for the money to make it happen was challenging and every dime had its place. But I learned a valuable lesson....you really do get what you pay for. Money "saved" at a cheaper hotel means nothing if your stay is not enjoyable.
I will never be able to thank the staff of the Marriott enough...and even though I tried, I really don't think they have any idea how much their kindness meant to my family. We are Marriott customers for life. Thank you again, Chris, Lauren, Mr. Medina and so many others....for turning our nightmare into a dream::)))

Room Tip: All the rooms have amazing views...no tip needed:)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank betzrn

Thank you so much for all of your kind words! We are all thrilled that we were able to turn your vacation around. We all strive to exceed our guests expectations so we can make your stay with us as enjoyable as possible. We would love to have you stay with us again so, if your travels ever bring you back to Virginia Beach, please do no hesitate to contact us directly here at Courtyard by Marriott Oceanfront North.