“Nice location, friendly staff, uncomfortable beds” 3 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newport News, Virginia
“Nice location, friendly staff, uncomfortable beds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Positives:
the lobby is spacious, lots of electrical outlets and a variety of seating.
The staff at the front desk were professional and friendly
The view of the ocean of course

Negatives:
This is a big negative: The mattress was uncomfortable and the pillows were those cheap pillows my parents made me use when I was a kid. I had a poor night sleep as a result.
Cost--granted we went during a busy holiday weekend over St Patrick's Day

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for your review! Our lobby does offer quite a few outlets and seating for guests wishing to get connected to laptops and gather for meetings and/or dinner. I'm glad you found my front desk staff to be helpful and friendly during your stay. And, of course, all of our guest rooms do offer a spectacular view of the ocean. I am really disappointed from reading your comments about your mattress and pillows. I'm sorry you slept poorly during your stay with us. If you choose to stay with us again I hope the next time we can provide you with different pillows and perhaps a room with a more comfortable mattress. Please contact me directly if you would like to stay with us the next time you come to the Oceanfront in Virginia Beach. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you have a prosperous year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I was recently in Virginia Beach for a wedding and opted to come down a day early and stay on the oceanfront. This is a standard Courtyard by Mariott, however this Courtyard probably does not have the standard clientele, as the beach brings in families and other events that an interstate or airport Courtyard would.

The hotel at a glance:

PROS:
- Been remodeled recently
- Located in the northern section of VA Beach, a new, higher-end portion of the strip
- Lots of parking (granted, off-season)
- Beautiful lobby
- Boardwalk, beach

CONS:
- While it has been remodeled recently, it looks like it had already been beaten up a little bit (elevators, signage outside grime)
- Super cheap balcony furniture
- Room service dishes sat in hallway for hours

In all, this is an upscale hotel that is perfect place for a quick visit to the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DCTraveler2786
Thank you for your review! I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad you offered some pros & cons to your input. All are valid points - recently renovated, northern part of the Oceanfront, parking on-site and immediately across from hotel, open lobby space for dining at the Bistro and for group gatherings, and the hotel has access to the boardwalk and beach. I apologize for the lack of attention to the dishes left in the hallway. I have notified our restaurant and housekeeping staffs of this and I assure you we will be more attentive. Thank you for letting me know of this concern. I hope you choose us again when looking for a quick visit to the beach. Please feel free to contact me directly for future reservations. And, thanks again for your time and review!
washington dc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great hotel spot on the beach. Customer service was good. Very clean. Walk out the door right on to the beach. We had a king suite which has a separate sitting area, a dining table, wet bar with microwave and desk. It also comes with 2 entry ways to the balcony from the sitting area and bedroom. They had a mixup with our room and gave us a free breakfast at the Bistro restaurant in the hotel. The breakfast was good. Eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes, toast & jelly and juice. We rented bikes and road them on the boardwalk at $7 an hour. We also went and had couples massages 10 mins away at Ambiance Spa. Overall, it was a good stay. We would come back.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank touringtheworldyoung
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Thank you so much for your review! All of our 60 suites offer a fantastic view of the ocean! The center king suite you stayed in is actually the only one of its kind at our property - it offers one king bed in the bedroom, the living room arrangement (pull-out sofa), and kitchenette. The other 39 center suites offer two queen-sized beds in the bedroom with the other suite amenities. These center suites, as you mentioned, have access to the balcony from both the bedroom and living room. Our corner suites have the balconies with ocean view from the living room only; the bedroom has a window-view of the city. I apologize for the mix-up with the room, but I'm glad you had the opportunity to try out the Bistro! And, thank you for the references to attractions within walking distance of our hotel! Readers will definitely find your input worthwhile. Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel - I appreciate your comments and kind thoughts! I hope you choose us again the next time you find yourself "touringtheworldyoung" in Virginia Beach!
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Pretty nice hotel - standard Marriott. Amazing beach fronts views (from every room) - we were on the top floor and it was awesome. Nice place to stay.

Room Tip: 11th floor offers amazing views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dane S
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Thank you for your quick review! I appreciate your input about our higher floor rooms. The 11th floor is the highest floor and you're right - the view is amazing! Higher floor rooms are by request and accommodations are made based on availability. Thanks for choosing us and I hope you come back to see us again soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

It was the end of our trip and this was suppose to be a stop over and we decided to stay an extra night.
Room was very clean with a hot tube that after our car ride was fantastic.Bed was very comfortable, location great, staff friendly, and the views were fantastic. Great place to watch the sun rise.
We will be back without hesitation

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J P F
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, especially in one of our jacuzzi rooms! All of our guest rooms offer an ocean view so it's easy to walk out onto the balcony and watch the sunrise. Thank you for choosing our property and I hope the next time you need another stop over you think of us! Safe travels!
Gig Harbor, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

First, this is a great hotel. It is clean, it is well situated, and it is a great value.

Room - I was on a high floor and the room was large, easy to walk around, had a fantastic balcony overlooking the beach.

Bistro - I'm not overly thrilled with what Marriott has done to the Courtyard brand. All the food at the bistro feels like it came out of a box and was reheated.

Staff - Front desk seemed to be too busy, even when no one was at the counter (BTW, this one has the tradition front desk, instead of the airline style kiosk desks, I like the traditional hotel desk). Often the look in their eyes were vacant.

Staff - Housekeeping. One day, my room was serviced but had to call for a coffee service. Next day, the room was half done, garbage was not emptied and no fresh cups and glasses, no new towels. Next day, I returned to my room at 4PM and there was no service at all. Next day to the completion of my stay, I just told the front desk to forget about it. But, the rooms are clean.

Staff - Bistro. Very friendly young man, bearded, remembered me between visits. I realize these kids aren't bartenders, but a Margarita needs a lightly salted rim, not a solid ring of salt.

The market place is nice, but they could restock the medicine part.

General band information - the new branding still isn't growing on me, but it would be nice if we could have microwaves in the room.

Room Tip: Leave the drapes open for a slow growing light in the morning for a wake up.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JMPInstructor
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for your thorough review! Your input is incredibly helpful as we strive to continue to deliver the best service possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. I will tell my Front Desk staff to be more cognizant and responsive. In addition, I will be sure to pass along your comments to our Executive Housekeeper so we can ensure more consistent service. The Bistro, although not a traditional restaurant, offers made-to-order items for breakfast and dinner. Also, micowaves are provided in our suite-style rooms; guests can also use our public microwave located in the Market on the first floor. Thank you, again, for your critique and please let me know if I can be of further assitance the next time you are in the Virginia Beach area!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here a few days ago, great location, great view and exceptional staff. Beautiful lobby and well maintained common areas. Our king whirlpool room was nice, large and decorated well. The room had a small balcony overlooking the ocean. However the bathroom was disappointing as the shower stall appeared dirty as the grout was in need of bleach. I know that mold is a problem in beach front properties, but I wish the room we had had better housekeeping in that regard. Make sure when you book a room, request that you are not given a room with an adjoining door to the room next door, as there are gaps underneath the two doors. We had very noisy neighbors and could not sleep the night we were there. The noise and party next door was not the fault of the hotel so that does not affect my review of this hotel. I would stay there again but change rooms if the bathroom needs attention.

Room Tip: Do not get a room with an adjoining door to the other room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelling_bug2
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you for your time and honest review of your guest room. I am so sorry to hear about the condition of your bathroom shower and I will address this issue with our Housekeeping staff. Also, for additional clarification and general information, all of our jacuzzi rooms have adjoining doors to the corner suite. Many of our standard rooms and other suites do not have connecting doors, however. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you! I hope you consider contacting me directly for any future reservations.