“Ocean front great pool” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Ocean front great pool”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed here for one night-we are 2 hours from va beach and just wanted to go for the night/day. The room was great. It had a partial kitchen (microwave, fridg, sink) and we had a living room and separt sleeping room. The bathroom was clean and the balcony was large. All rooms are ocean front I believe and that is very nice. The pool was awesome with a waterfall for the kids. I didnt like that there are only two elevators, so when it's busy you will be waiting. They gave us late check out for free which was awesome. Overall a very nice ocean front hotel. 37th street is best for families as 17th and down are more lively.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Sumee_Ash
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you you for your quick review! I'm glad you were able to enjoy your suite and I'm glad the kids enjoyed our outdoor pool! Also, it's great that we had availability for you and your family to enjoy a later check-out. Thanks for staying with us! I hope you choose to stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel for the Sand Soccer Championships. Both times I enjoyed it. The pool is very nice and relaxing. The room was clean and had plenty of space and the beds were comfortable. The only issues I have is that there are only 2 elevators and it was quite a wait with a fully booked hotel and the air conditioner in the room is very loud. It is near the end of the boardwalk so you are away from the big crowds but close enough to everything you need. The price is a little steep and the breakfast buffet should be included in the the price of the room but it isn't. But I have to say the food was great. Somewhat overpriced, but all hotels do that. I have never understood the price markup on food in hotels. The room costs enough you should be more reasonable on the food prices. But we had breakfast and lunch there and it was good. There is also a bar at the pool that serves good food too. But the biggest thing I wanted to compliment the hotel on was their staff. EVERY person, including cleaning service people and parking attendants, greeted you and asked how you were doing and really looked liked they enjoyed their jobs. It must be a great place to work because it shows through the hotel staff. Overall a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for coming back to stay with us! And, thank you for your review! We're always glad to have the sand soccer families enjoy their tournaments with us! Your observation about our two elevators is definitely worth mentioning; during peak use (check-in & check-out) the elevators can back up. However, stairwell access from the lobby level and parking lot is still available for a quick trip up or down. It's great to hear you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet! For $10.95 per person, it's a good deal considering the quality and amount of food offered. We certainly appreciate your compliments to our staff! Our hotel staff works very hard to ensure all our guests are satisfied and we look forward to serving everyone! We're one team working towards a common goal - your satisfaction! Thanks for your feedback and I hope we see you again next year!
Currituck, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a family vacation and the Sand Soccer tournament in Virginia Beach. Overall I was very happy with our stay at the hotel; the staff was excellent, very friendly and informative. A member of the hotel reservations team gave me a call two days before our check-in to see if I had any questions before we arrived and he provided a lot of initial information and answered all of my questions. That was a nice touch of class. The stay went uphill from there.

As with most hotels on the Virginia Beach boardwalk, the hotel only had rooms with an ocean view, with one row of rooms on the ocean side of the hotel. The balcony was very narrow with a seemingly flimsy guard rail (looked like it was made of PVC piping), not a place for little ones to play. My kids and I really enjoyed the view; you could see the dolphins moving along the coast early in the morning, or watch the sun rise over the ocean.

Being a beach resort town, sand finds its way up into the hotel rooms. We had quite a bit of beach gear and the room had plenty of storage space for the boards and coolers, etc. In the room I never felt sand under my feet, on the carpet or on the tile. The hotel cleaning staff kept the main floors clean and the lobby always looked very well kept and upscale.

The room was very comfortable and clean. There was a small refrigerator for us to keep a few things chilled. We had two queen sized beds, a comfortable chair to sit in, a work table that could easily fit two lap tops, a 32 inch TV with a good variety of channels, and plenty of room to hang and store clothing. With four people in the room we never felt crowded.

The hotel has a Starbucks in the lobby that made our life better. I have rarely had a good experience eating hotel food, but the Bistro in the lobby of this Courtyard surprised me. The wait staff was awesome, great customer service and the food never disappointed us. The breakfast and lunch selections were somewhat limited, but the quality was well above what we ate at other restaurants on the boardwalk. The food was delivered hot, promptly with superior flavor. I am a picky eater; the quality of the ingredients was what you would expect from a nice restaurant.

We needed a late check out on Sunday and the front desk supervisor was able to give me an extra hour and told me if I need a little more time that it should not be a problem. I tipped the cleaning staff, I saw them put up with a lot of negativity from many rude hotel patrons so when I thanked them for keeping the rooms clean (and I really meant it) they seemed to appreciate it. He told me that I could check out whenever I needed to and that he could get me back into the room if necessary. All of the rooms needed to be cleaned and he was not going to finish until about 3 or 4pm anyway, he seemed to be a person of high character.

Compared to all of the other hotel chains I have stayed at, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't pick a high room if you are afraid of heights, the balcony is very narrow and give you a s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 1travel4fun
Wow! What a fantastic and thorough review! Thank you for taking the time to report all of your findings, especially after such a busy Sand Soccer weekend! I'm so pleased to read my staff was able to answer all of your inquiries and resolve any concerns prior to your arrival! Our guests love the idea of enjoying the view and watching the dolphins migrate during each sunrise. Thank you for your comments about our Bistro and housekeeping staff! We all do our part to deliver the best service to our guests! I hope you stay with us again, not just for the sand soccer fun, but also whenever you want to getaway from the daily hustle. I appreciate your time and thanks for choosing us! Warm regards and sunny thoughts through the summer!
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this Marriott. We had been advised that the North location would be within walking distance of almost everything but not right in the middle of all the hubbub. It was perfect for us. We had a nice room with a great bed, tv, chair and ottoman, mini-refrigerator and desk. We also had a jacuzzi, which was a nice surprise after long days of playing golf nearby. The sink area is separated from the shower/toilet room by a door, which is nice. It was a bit small, as was the shower, but it had just enough shelf space for both of us since my toiletry bag would hang on the towel rack. It is probably smaller because of the extra room needed for the jacuzzi. All rooms face the ocean and the lobby is just across the boardwalk from a nice beach. We loved sitting on the balcony to eat breakfast overlooking the beach and then heading out to walk and see the sights and activities along the boardwalk. There were lots of joggers and bikers as well, but it didn't seem too crowded. Every employee we encountered was outgoing and friendly as well as helpful. We had a problem with the shower in our first room. I hope they get it fixed even though it will be rather extensive work: the drain in the shower above us leaked into our shower! I saw that Josh was mentioned in another review and I want to give him rave reviews as well. He was at the desk when we called about the shower and he insisted we change rooms and came up immediately with keys to a room on the top (11th) floor and a cart to help us move. I really appreciate his and the hotel's responsiveness to the problem. He was at the front desk a lot while we were there and gave great advice about nearby restaurants from a local's point of view. Kudos and thanks, Josh! We enjoyed getting quick and delicious breakfasts at the BIstro, although it would be nice if it were included in the price of the room. There were a couple of days of cool weather when we were there, so we didn't get in the pool, but it was a neat setup with a bar and L-shaped pool that wrapped around the building on the west side so it got sun in the afternoon. The in-room air conditioner was pretty noisy, but I got used to it after the first night. I would certainly stay here again if we go back to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: There are great views from the top few floors. Ask for 9th - 11th floor if you can. All face the o...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! Your information is quite detailed and I'm sure prospective travelers will find it all incredibly helpful. Thank you for your insight. And, you're right - our location is definitely more quiet and not in the mix of the busier south oceanfront. I'm glad you enjoyed your room with king bed and jacuzzi! I'm sorry you had some challenges with the first room and I'm pleased to read that Josh took care of you right away! We appreciate your kind words about his service - he's truly a valuable asset to our team. Again, I appreciate all your detailed comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Have a super summer!
Mechanicsville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We showed up at the hotel at 7:30 am looking to move hotels. Sherese Ulee and Mandy Bennett at the front desk were extremely helpful, polite, and were able to get us in a room within a half hours time. Very nice hotel, room, outstanding pool. Well be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments! Mandy and Sherese were thrilled to read your review! Thank you for recognizing them! I'm so glad they were able to assist you promptly and with great service! We hope to see you again soon!
Massillon, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our family stayed her a couple of weeks ago. The hotel is very nice. Updated and very clean. Our room had two queen size beds, fridge, and free WI FI. They also have a beautiful outdoor pool. Upsetting was that you could not use it until Memorial Day when they would have lifeguards on duty. So the whole week we were there for the pool, we weren't allowed to use. I am not a beach person. I was very upset about this. They had waterfalls and they even turned those off to deter customers from going in the pool. I complained nicely when we checked out. The management gave us a discount, but I would rather had been able to swim. The cafe inside the hotel is also very nice but very expensive. We all had sandwiches and the bill was over 45.oo and we had our own drinks.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tellmewy
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel! I am so sorry you were not able to enjoy the outdoor pool to its fullest extent. Before Memorial Day, when the weather is nice, the outdoor pool area can be used for relaxing in our lounge chairs, sunbathing, and enjoying the our pool bar. These hours are limited prior to Memorial Day and I apologize the pool was not open during your stay. Our indoor pool and jacuzzi, however, are available 7am-11pm everyday. I hope you consider staying with us between Memorial Day and Labor Day when our outdoor pool is available through the early afternoon and late evening. Again, I appreciate your feedback and I hope you have a fantastic summer!
kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had a complimentary night at a MC we needed to use and having never been to Va Beach, decided to try it out. We live about three hours away and went for an overnight. The hotel is right on the beach and all of the rooms are ocean front, which is nice. The hotel was nice, our room was fine, and the staff was friendly. We enjoyed the pool, as well as the beach and the ocean. I would happily go back to the hotel and the beach.

Room Tip: we liked being up high for the views - stayed on the 10th floor but would guess about 6 and up woudl...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Thank you for your short and sweet review! I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and thank you for trying us out! Being that you're not too far away, I hope we see you again! Take care and happy traveling!