Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Repeat Visitor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have stayed at this hotel since the summer it opened about eleven years ago. While some beach hotels start looking a bit shopworn after a decade, the management of the Courtyard North has continued to keep the property fresh and looking (and smelling!) like brand new. Our visit this month was outstanding, and we have already reserved for an upcoming August visit as well. Juanita handles housekeeping on the tenth floor, and she is wonderful. In fact, the entire staff is wonderful - from Victoria, the college student working for the summer at the breakfast buffet, to Mr. Sam - an original employee from the get-go. The valets always welcome you at the door, and the folks at the front desk wave as you come in. Everyone that works there asks if you are enjoying your stay, and they greet you with a big smile. It is quite simply the perfect family resort. The pool is fantastic. The beds are very comfortable, and the halls are quiet. It's nicely located at the desirable North end of the Virginia Beach Boardwalk. Who could ask for more? I doubt if any hotel at Virginia Beach has as many repeat guests. Book it and enjoy!

Room Tip: We like the high floors because all you see out the window is ocean. If you have small children and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us over the years and taking the time to review our hotel! I am very excited to hear you have enjoyed our friendly staff and amenities over the years. I appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. I know our staff is delighted to hear that you remember their names. Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope you have a great rest of the summer and we will see you again next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Springfield, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

My family checked in on 6/1. Let me tell you... This was one of the few times I've been to a hotel where 100% of the staff was truly amazing. As soon as we pulled up, the valet was very nice and got us a cart because we had tons of stuff with us (chairs, umbrella, coolers, beach tent, you name it). When we got inside we were informed our room was not ready and that they would call us when it was. Not a problem since we got there early anyway after having lunch at the new Jollibee! Yes, I am Filipino...

A very nice young woman named, Megan, checked us in and provided EXCELLENT service! She even called up to our room 10 min later to make sure everything was to our liking. The oceanfront room had a balcony with an awesome view. After hitting the beach, we rinsed off all the sand and put our stuff in the room. We then headed for the pool. The female bartender was really cool and made some awesome watermelon mojitos! Also, the female lifegaurd on duty was nice enough to bring us some towels because we neglected to bring any with us. The property has a beautiful outdoor pool with rock formations, waterfalls, and little water slide for the kids. They have an indoor pool and whirlpool as well.

For dinner, we were all seriously tired and just decided to order delivery. The restaurant didn't provide any plates so I made a quick call downstairs. I spoke with James and he said "Just come on down, we've got plenty here!". The next morning when we checked out, we dealt with another valet who was just as helpful and pleasant as the gentleman we encountered the day before. All in all, a fantastic stay thanks to the wonderful staff at this hotel. We will definitely be staying at this property in the future! I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quieter alternative to Ocean City... No offense to OC, but I am at a different stage in my life where I want peace and quiet!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel! Your comments are incredible to hear. I am so glad you were able to take advantage of our pool bar, complimentary valet, and the great view. Thank you for your appreciation of our excellent service and friendly staff. I hope you are able to visit us again!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband & I live in the area & decided to get away for a night - we couldn't have picked a better location. The Valet Trainer, Josh , was very personable & helpful. My front desk clerk, James, was super friendly & even gave us the option to pick what floor we wanted. For a night cap, we wandered down to the bar & Lena was so bubbly & refreshing - it truly made it feel like we were on a vacation, even if it was just for the night!
Our room faced the ocean front & was absolutely perfect. We had plenty of towels & coffee for the morning. The North location is so much more peaceful & relaxing than being in the middle of the strip. I was pleased that I could just check-out from the room instead of waiting at the Front desk. I hope the Management team knows what great people they have!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KGonzbo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It's very exciting that you had a great time at our Bistro and enjoyed our front desk staff. Thank you for your letting us know what great staff we have and your comments will not go unrecognized. The team is delighted that you felt very welcomed and enjoyed our customer service. Have a great rest of the summer!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, great staff. It located just few blocks north from great restaurants and night life. It was cold when we visit but very romantic. Every room faces the beach so it is perfect. Thank you Courtyard!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank LuisDC
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We have every room with an oceanfront balcony. I am glad you enjoyed the location and our great staff! I hope you are able to visit again soon. Have a great rest of your summer!
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

The staff members are customer service champions! I don't think a front desk rep has ever greeted me warmly at a different hotel in the morning saying "Good morning, sir, did you sleep well last night? That's wonderful, if there's anything you need, please don't be shy and let us know". I can tell they are thoroughly trained to make their customer's stay a pleasantly memorable one, even the housekeeping staff greets you with a smile EVERY time they see you. They also asked me if I had a floor preferance when checking in. A lot of other front desk people would just simply assign me a room anywhere instead of ask me if I wanted to be near the top or bottom. My room was VERY clean, hot tub was inviting and jets worked well, atmosphere inside and out was peaceful, and the view of the ocean was magnificient, A few minor issues like the sliding glass door to the balcony moved hard and was dirty on the outside (I cleaned it so I could see the beach well through the window), the A/C was a bit noisy, small stain on the carpet, and refrigerator froze my strawberries, but it didn't curse my vacation. I'm also not sure why this hotel doesn't provide a microwave to the standard rooms and whirlpool rooms. Some might claim that the location isn't great, but it's a blessing to those who want peace and rest at an oceanfront hotel, away from the epicenter of the "party" area.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 9th floor, which might have been a little too high. The 5th or 6th floor would probab...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bigcahuna316
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and share your experience. I am very excited to hear that you saw that we are "Customer Service Champions." We work hard to make every guest experience unique. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our very clean rooms and the north-end of the beach atmosphere. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon! Have a great rest of the year.
Lynchburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

My mother and I, (Terri Martin) planned a last minute getaway weekend in April and stayed here. We enjoyed our stay, the view was great from the 11th floor :) When we checked in, the staff was great and even gave us cookies! I work at a resort myself at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia...and the Courtyard by Marriott North met my expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie S
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and reviewing our hotel. I am so glad that you had a great getaway weekend. It's always great to hear from fellow hospitality associates. It's exciting to hear that you enjoyed our views and the cookies at check in. I hope you are able to visit us again soon and have a great rest of your summer!
Barboursville, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hotel was booked due to some cheerleader competition in town. Front desk staff were friendly and gave us our keys quickly. Upon entering the room we found a huge stain on the carpet. other than that the room was clean. The carpet was an ugly brown and tan stripe. No mirror except over the sink, NO SAFE in the room. Towels were cheep, they were alternating stripes of terry cloth no terry cloth so it was actually only half a towel. It did have a great view of the ocean. Sadly the weather was horrible, 20 mph winds all weekend only in the 50's for a high, and the ocean looked like foamy mud. Not their fault. The beds were hard as rocks, the balcony was fine, 2 plastic chairs and table. No one used it though because of the wind and cold. Would not stay again for the price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad the front desk team was able to assist you quickly and provide friendly service. I am deeply dissapointed your stay was anything less than exceptional. I have spoken with the housekeeping team regarding your concerns with the carpet and the towels. I want to apologize that we didn't exceed your expectations. I hope on your next trip to Virginia Beach you will give us a second chance. Have a great rest of your summer!